Satnav sat nav - toll roads - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st September 2006, 14:53 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
sat nav - toll roads

Has anyone noticed if the toll roads are included?

Cos I'm on the non-paying side of the bridge I can't check - but could someone from down south set a route for Cardiff when they get chance, and see if the 'minimise toll roads' option takes them up the M5 and across on the M50, instead of over the severn bridge?

please

not in the least bit urgent, it's not like I don't knw the severn bridge toll is there, but as it's been there forever if it's not on the sat nav, then possibly a shed load of others won't be either

I guess the other one to check could be the M6 toll - but I wouldn't know where to set the destination to in order to use it (or not)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st September 2006, 15:03
您看了

One of the navigation routing options is "Minimise Toll roads" is it not? So that for me would mean yes, toll roads are included.

Look at the bottom route on Pottsey's image......
satnaverror.jpg
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st September 2006, 15:11 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

yes - that's indeed what made me think of it

BUT - in the same way as it knows about Fast Food, but not any in this country, I'm wondering if it only knows about French peages...

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st September 2006, 15:51
Smell My Cheese!

I can't comment on the M4, but I am certain the SatNav has warned me about the M6 toll and asked for confirmation to proceed with that routing. Or I am going mad and thinking about TomTom.

Although one thing I also seem to remember, but only vaguely, if you navigate to the continent it asks whether you are using channel tunnel/ferry.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 1st September 2006, 17:24

Will it also warn if your journey takes you through the London Congestion Zone. TOMTOM does so and is very useful.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2006, 13:06

We drove down the M6 toll the other day and it recognised it as such.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2006, 13:37 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskinner
We drove down the M6 toll the other day and it recognised it as such.
sounds promising, cheers!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2006, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlak
Will it also warn if your journey takes you through the London Congestion Zone. TOMTOM does so and is very useful.
Can someone plane a route from where they are into Central London - Say St. Pauls Cathedral - to see if it warns of the London Congestion Charging.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2006, 20:54

karlak - I would if I had my car !!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2006, 22:21
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Quote:
Can someone plane a route from where they are into Central London - Say St. Pauls Cathedral - to see if it warns of the London Congestion Charging.
Yep sure does, posts a warning that the route includes congestion charge zones. As an aside to this I would like an option to 'Include Toll Roads' as I detest driving on the M6 past Birmingham and much prefer the M6 Toll, but trying to get the navi unit to use it is hard work if it takes you slightly out of your way.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd September 2006, 11:45
Supporter

Looking at the five routings you can choose from, one is 'Minimise Toll roads'.

If you selected the 'Short Route' option I noticed this took you through the central London toll area, so I guess it automatically selects at least one of the routings via a toll road unless you specifically select the 'Minimise Toll Roads' option.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 4th September 2006, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyCivYep
sure does, posts a warning that the route includes congestion charge zones. As an aside to this I would like an option to 'Include Toll Roads' as I detest driving on the M6 past Birmingham and much prefer the M6 Toll, but trying to get the navi unit to use it is hard work if it takes you slightly out of your way.
Once you've selected the destination, you should be able to put the M6 Toll in as an intermediate location.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 4th September 2006, 23:00
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyCivYep
sure does, posts a warning that the route includes congestion charge zones. As an aside to this I would like an option to 'Include Toll Roads' as I detest driving on the M6 past Birmingham and much prefer the M6 Toll, but trying to get the navi unit to use it is hard work if it takes you slightly out of your way.
Once you've selected the destination, you should be able to put the M6 Toll in as an intermediate location.
Thats the way I do it, would just like the option available then it would select it itself. I suppose I am a bit contrary to most drivers
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th September 2006, 13:02

I've just got back from visiting in Brum. The Satnav seems to insist on using the M6 toll, even though it is not necessary. I prefer not to use the toll.

When you enter the destination it tells you that it is going to use the toll road, but it does not permit you to reject it, unlike on TomTom.

Can't say I'm that impressed with this satnav software. It's a pity you can't choose what s/w to use.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th September 2006, 13:11
Supporter

You can ask it to calculate 5 routes, one of which is 'Avoiding Toll Roads'.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th September 2006, 13:22

I'm sure the toll option on the 5 route types is "minimise toll" roads. (See CivPilot's photo in post #2)
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th September 2006, 13:32

Excuse me for sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, not having the EX model, but from what I am reading, the nav system doesn't seem so great.

Would I be right in thinking that portable (tomtom, garmin, etc) units are actually better and more versatile than the system fitted in the honda?

I know yours is much more practical and tidy being built in and linked to the HFT, but the POI databse and route options are seemingly poor.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th September 2006, 13:33
Supporter

Oooh, sorry, I forgot I'd already replied. Silly me .
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th September 2006, 13:41

Replying to Bungle: It's very nice having the satnav built into the car, not having to keep setting up an external system and then removing it from the car as they are very popular to thieves.

In the time I've had my car (two weeks) I'd say the TomTom was better. But I won't be putting it in my Civic as it would look stupid.

With all satnav systems you can't trust them entirely, you have to know about the route you are taking so you can make an informed choice. But it does appear that the Honda variant requires more handling than my TomTom Go 700 ever did.

Last edited by Skinhead; 25th September 2006 at 13:43.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th September 2006, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Excuse me for sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, not having the EX model, but from what I am reading, the nav system doesn't seem so great.

Would I be right in thinking that portable (tomtom, garmin, etc) units are actually better and more versatile than the system fitted in the honda?

I know yours is much more practical and tidy being built in and linked to the HFT, but the POI databse and route options are seemingly poor.
I have never really had any problems with the route options and POI's that I use most (petrol stations, hotels etc) seem OK; the problems seem to be with fast food, restaurants, pubs etc.
As Skinhead says, the fact that it is built-in and therefore non-nickable is the greatest advantage, along with the other benefits you have from the display such as MP3 song listings.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page