Question about Bluetooth/Carplay - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CivicCliff

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th April 2017, 08:48 Thread Starter

Question about Bluetooth/Carplay

Hi,

While waiting patiently for a delivery date (May some time) I've been looking at Carplay (as I have an iPhone) ... it seems that it only works if connected by USB. It provides phone, messages, music and maps (and probably Internet connectivity). Forgetting maps, everything else is also provided over Blutooth/WiFi to the phone.

From what I've read, unless there's an app you have installed that works with Carplay, there doesn't seem like much benefit to plugging in. I'm guessing the Carplay interface will be different - to make a call for example - which would frustrate me. For this reason, I don't see much benefit at all to Carplay.

What have I missed?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st April 2017, 23:50
Supporter

Car: 2017 Honda civic EX 1.0 turb
I dont use car play, but i do use android auto and its brilliant.

If you get a text message, it reads it out to you and will also let you dictate a reply.

being able to use google maps natively is a really nice feature....not sure if car play does this but probably uses the apple equivalent....nice having live traffic updates etc that i dont think comes on the sat nav included.

and i always use spotify...yes you can just stream over bluetooth, but with the police clamping down on using your phone while driving, its handy to be able to search for songs right on the unit.....you can also use google voice to search spotify (or any app that you use for music)...simply tell it what you want to listen to and it will play.

Hope this helps you a little.

Jon
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2017, 07:32 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbennett View Post
Hope this helps you a little.
It does, thanks - do you ever use it with just Bluetooth instead?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2017, 07:48
Supporter

Car: 2017 Honda civic EX 1.0 turb
I haven't since I bought it. Mainly out of laziness to be honest. Plus it's nice to have your phone charging when you're gonna be using it for music or navigation. Cos it can drain your battery pretty quickly. I get about 25 percent charge on my 30 minute drive to work.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Thanks to jjbennett from:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 25th April 2017, 00:19

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
In the future, Wireless Apple Carplay will be the way to go. At the moment, there seems to be limited (if any) OEM support for it? Maybe it's to do with requiring WIFI rather than the standard Bluetooth. http://www.carplaylife.com/feature/w...-what-we-know/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 30th April 2018, 21:15

I use Apple CarPlay every day, mainly because I’m not sure if I would see less information in the speedo display with regards to caller ID etc if I were to use Bluetooth instead....

Aside from this I occasionally use CarPlay for my Apple Music as it gives a visual display of the albums/artists etc which I can just scroll through like on my phone.

Last edited by jrelder; 30th April 2018 at 23:12.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 1st May 2018, 23:34
Supporter

Car: 2017 EX 1.0 Manual
Garage
Apple CarPlay is excellent and very intuitive to use.

In the Civic, your iPhone will need to be connected to the system via Lightning cable to the designated smartphone USB port (this must be an Apple certified cable). As said above, very few OEM units support wireless CarPlay. I believe it was only the BMW 5 series up to the end of last year.

You can use CarPlay for:
Phone calls.
Messaging (SMS, iMessage and WhatsApp - access to messaging is via Siri dictation and read back, although you get notifications on screen).
Music.
Apple Maps navigation.
Podcasts.
Audio Books.
Third party apps that are CarPlay enabled, e.g. TuneIn Radio, Spotify, BBC iPlayer radio etc.

You have full access to Siri to control all of the above and much more, e.g. voice access to your calendar, weather, news etc. With Siri you can use voice commands in natural language, unlike the built in voice control which requires the use of specific commands.

I have an Apple Music subscription, and being able to tell Siri to play specific tracks/playlists/radio is wonderful. You can even ask to have tracks you like added to specific playlists - all without having to take your hands off the wheel/eyes off the road.

Apple Maps navigation is now excellent, with the most up to date real time traffic info and excellent guidance, including lane assist and speed limit info - I never use the on board Garmin navi.

You can of course use your phone via the car's interface via Bluetooth. You can even select tracks, artists, playlists etc via Bluetooth now. However, once you get used to CarPlay it's difficult to use anything else.

I feel the Civic's OEM head unit gets somewhat unfair criticism on this forum and some reviews, it's really not that bad, and it's ability to support both CarPlay and Android Auto 'out of the box' is impressive. On VW cars you had to pay to activate it until recently, and BMW are turning it into a subscription service.

Have a look at this - the infographics at the top are interesting:
https://appleinsider.com/articles/18...new-car-buyers

Also, this is an interesting site:
http://www.carplaylife.com/

Give it a try and see what you think - you've probably gathered I'm a big CarPlay fan - I would not want to be without it now.
TomPoyntz likes this.

Last edited by CivicCliff; 1st May 2018 at 23:42.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 9th May 2018, 08:05

Car: 2017 10th Gen Blue SR
I always have the Bluetooth on so I connect automatically whenever I'm in the car, but sometimes if I want maps, music or going a long journey I'll use CarPlay. Both work really well and cannot fault it. You can use the cars own voice command system when you're on Bluetooth to make calls and as stated above use Siri to make calls when in CarPlay mode. Text messages work really well with Siri.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Electronics and ICE (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page