My Honda Dongle - Civinfo
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 193 (permalink) Old 6th July 2017, 09:08 Thread Starter

Car: 2017 Civic Crystal Black Pea
My Honda Dongle

Took my 2017 Civic into the dealership yesterday to have the My Honda Dongle installed. Dongle was installed but unfortunately there was a problem with its pin number and recognising the vin number. Honda are looking into it and once they have a solution dealership will contact me to bring car back. Dealership was also installing dongle in another Civic on the same day and it had the same problem.
jamesmckelvie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 193 (permalink) Old 7th July 2017, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
Took my 2017 Civic into the dealership yesterday to have the My Honda Dongle installed. Dongle was installed but unfortunately there was a problem with its pin number and recognising the vin number. Honda are looking into it and once they have a solution dealership will contact me to bring car back. Dealership was also installing dongle in another Civic on the same day and it had the same problem.

I have been asking about this for a while now and my Honda service garage is working on it but they say there is a monthly fee which I thought was free for 3 years . They are trying to find out but does anyone know the official answer. I have a 2017 Civic
jamesmckelvie likes this.
post #3 of 193 (permalink) Old 7th July 2017, 12:29
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2018 Civic 1.0 SR Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERTEACH View Post
I have been asking about this for a while now and my Honda service garage is working on it but they say there is a monthly fee which I thought was free for 3 years . They are trying to find out but does anyone know the official answer. I have a 2017 Civic
It's free for 3 years. I have a letter I can email u.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk
Farqui likes this.

post #4 of 193 (permalink) Old 7th July 2017, 12:53
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.5 S-Design GT Blue
Anyone from Ireland any info?

My dealer didn't know what I was talking about..
I Emailed Honda Ireland but as yet no reply.
post #5 of 193 (permalink) Old 7th July 2017, 15:02
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerv View Post
Anyone from Ireland any info?

My dealer didn't know what I was talking about..
I Emailed Honda Ireland but as yet no reply.
Just got a call from Honda Ireland after my last post!

It's not yet available in Ireland. Apparently only UK and Germany so far.
post #6 of 193 (permalink) Old 7th July 2017, 17:21 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2017 Civic Crystal Black Pea
My Honda now working. Trouble was at Honda UK end, computer had crashed.
post #7 of 193 (permalink) Old 8th July 2017, 03:11

I also had some difficulties getting the dongle up and running, it's nearly sorted now, but in case it is helpful here is some information.

- I downloaded the "My Honda" app for iOS on my iPhone.

- I entered various details such as my name, mobile phone number and registration number which were accepted.

- After some hours, on reopening the app it was now asking me for a PIN code, which I did not have. I tried some obvious guesses (1234, 0000) without success.

- There was an option to "Disconnect", which I tried... but it then asked for my VIN code, which produced an error as being unrecognised... so no success yet.

- Dealer then advised... this is because I haven't got a dongle installed! So they installed the dongle for me.

- Following this, the dealer helped me set things up. He had what looked to be a plastic SIM card holder which had a PIN code and a PUK code printed on it, presumably the SIM itself is installed in the dongle and enables it to communicate with the world outside the vehicle. I tried entering the PIN code from the SIM card holder into the app, but this did not work.

- I tried to "Disconnect" again on the app, which again prompted me to enter the VIN code, again this produced an error as being unrecognised.

- I then re-entered all my details into the app, including registration number and mobile phone number, at which point this caused an SMS to be sent to my mobile phone, with the necessary PIN code.

- I typed this into the app, success, hooray. I think this then generated a confirmation code via SMS or email which I also entered into the app to confirm things.

- So, the PIN code is sent via text, it is not something you can locate on the car or the SIM card holder.

- This process only appears to work once some central server somewhere has received confirmation of the dongle installation, the registration number and the VIN code (presumably from the dealer).

At this point the app showed my mileage and driving score, but not the location of the car - well, it actually thought it was located in the Atlantic ocean, off the south coast of Ghana, but I assure you it wasn't. The dealer suggested this would update in due course.

Unfortunately the location of the car has not updated, and it's been a few days, so I'll get back in touch with the dealer to figure this last part out.

To be fair to Honda this looks to be a new service and the dealers are learning about the process currently, and no doubt there are a number of fairly complex technical things going on in the backend. My dealer has been great and I'm sure we will get it figure out shortly.

Hope this helps someone.
post #8 of 193 (permalink) Old 19th July 2017, 15:29

Car: 2017 Smart Plus Polished Met
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerv View Post
Just got a call from Honda Ireland after my last post!

It's not yet available in Ireland. Apparently only UK and Germany so far.
Did they give any indication if they would be rolling it out in other countries? Such as Ireland?
post #9 of 193 (permalink) Old 19th July 2017, 15:51
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeobrien View Post
Did they give any indication if they would be rolling it out in other countries? Such as Ireland?
They had no idea, they said they would give me a call when any further info available..

Perhaps worth giving your dealer a call as well to see if they know anything further.
post #10 of 193 (permalink) Old 19th July 2017, 22:34
Earth Dreams :)

Car: 2017 CTR GT
Garage
What are they charging for a Honda dongle these days?
post #11 of 193 (permalink) Old 26th August 2017, 11:34

Car: 2017 Civic Sport Plus
Hi everyone

I recently had the dongle fitted to my 2017 Civic Sport Plus. What a waste of time. Most times it doesn't show the location, the number of miles travelled and the time are incorrect. Yesterday drove 30 miles the app said 12 miles and the journey time of 2 minutes
I have spoken to my dealer regarding it not working correctly. Thy have very little info from Honda. The Honda help desk is useless all they will do is put my call through to the dealer.
There is no charge for this from Honda for the first 3 years.
post #12 of 193 (permalink) Old 26th August 2017, 12:08
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by copout2010 View Post
Hi everyone

I recently had the dongle fitted to my 2017 Civic Sport Plus. What a waste of time. Most times it doesn't show the location, the number of miles travelled and the time are incorrect. Yesterday drove 30 miles the app said 12 miles and the journey time of 2 minutes
I have spoken to my dealer regarding it not working correctly. Thy have very little info from Honda. The Honda help desk is useless all they will do is put my call through to the dealer.
There is no charge for this from Honda for the first 3 years.
Funny you should say this, I had mine fitted in May and over time it has become progressively inconsistent with the data it logs/or not at all!

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk
post #13 of 193 (permalink) Old 26th August 2017, 12:17
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.0 EX CVT
I asked for it when I got my car about a month ago but was told it was on "back order" due to problems so hopefully they are working on a fix.
Thanks to Wilky from:
post #14 of 193 (permalink) Old 17th October 2017, 21:27

Car: 2016 Civic Tourer SE+ Navi
I asked for it to be installed when in for my first service tomorrow but got a call tonight to say they would need my iPhone ALL day to set it up.

Is that right ?
I canít leave my work phone with them all day so they wonít fit it. Also if work change or replace the iPhone they would need it for another full day to pair up the replacement phone.

Sound like more hassle than itís worth if it doesnít even work reliably.
post #15 of 193 (permalink) Old 17th October 2017, 21:48

Car: 2019 Civic 5D 1.5 Sport+
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
I asked for it to be installed when in for my first service tomorrow but got a call tonight to say they would need my iPhone ALL day to set it up.

Is that right ?
I canít leave my work phone with them all day so they wonít fit it. Also if work change or replace the iPhone they would need it for another full day to pair up the replacement phone.

Sound like more hassle than itís worth if it doesnít even work reliably.
They don't need your phone, just your phone number which it sends an activation code to, which is then activated in the "my Honda" app.
goobs likes this.
post #16 of 193 (permalink) Old 17th October 2017, 21:52

Car: 2016 Civic Tourer SE+ Navi
Iíll try speaking to the engineer tomorrow. It was the service manager who insisted they have my phone.
post #17 of 193 (permalink) Old 17th October 2017, 21:55
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
Iíll try speaking to the engineer tomorrow. It was the service manager who insisted they have my phone.
Another example of clueless employees at dealers

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
post #18 of 193 (permalink) Old 17th October 2017, 22:03
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
That's technology for you..... I remember back in the day a car was something to get you from A to B and in between you enjoyed the driving experience. These days it's all down to Tech. Tech that doesn't always work.
post #19 of 193 (permalink) Old 18th October 2017, 08:03

Car: 2018 Civic Sport Plus CVT
The dumbest thing about this app is that if the car goes nowhere and sits on the drive day after day you get a good driving score of 100 (out of 100). If you drive its somewhere it counts the number of times you accelerate and brake and your score reduces accordingly. All this data is sent back and held on Honda computers somewhere.
post #20 of 193 (permalink) Old 21st October 2017, 12:31
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

The one in my new car will not activate, the dealer has looked at it and even tried a replacement dongle.
It just keeps on coming up with invalid phone number\vin.
I assume the phone number should be entered like this +447955nnnnnn, with no 0 in front of the 7.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Electronics and ICE (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page