Join Date: 22nd August 2007
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also had some difficulties getting the dongle up and running, it's nearly sorted now, but in case it is helpful here is some information.
- I downloaded the "My Honda" app for iOS on my iPhone.
- I entered various details such as my name, mobile phone number and registration number which were accepted.
- After some hours, on reopening the app it was now asking me for a PIN code, which I did not have. I tried some obvious guesses (1234, 0000) without success.
- There was an option to "Disconnect", which I tried... but it then asked for my VIN code, which produced an error as being unrecognised... so no success yet.
- Dealer then advised... this is because I haven't got a dongle installed! So they installed the dongle for me.
- Following this, the dealer helped me set things up. He had what looked to be a plastic SIM card holder which had a PIN code and a PUK code printed on it, presumably the SIM itself is installed in the dongle and enables it to communicate with the world outside the vehicle. I tried entering the PIN code from the SIM card holder into the app, but this did not work.
- I tried to "Disconnect" again on the app, which again prompted me to enter the VIN code, again this produced an error as being unrecognised.
- I then re-entered all my details into the app, including registration number and mobile phone number, at which point this caused an SMS to be sent to my mobile phone, with the necessary PIN code.
- I typed this into the app, success, hooray. I think this then generated a confirmation code via SMS or email which I also entered into the app to confirm things.
- So, the PIN code is sent via text, it is not something you can locate on the car or the SIM card holder.
- This process only appears to work once some central server somewhere has received confirmation of the dongle installation, the registration number and the VIN code (presumably from the dealer).
At this point the app showed my mileage and driving score, but not the location of the car - well, it actually thought it was located in the Atlantic ocean, off the south coast of Ghana, but I assure you it wasn't. The dealer suggested this would update in due course.
Unfortunately the location of the car has not updated, and it's been a few days, so I'll get back in touch with the dealer to figure this last part out.
To be fair to Honda this looks to be a new service and the dealers are learning about the process currently, and no doubt there are a number of fairly complex technical things going on in the backend. My dealer has been great and I'm sure we will get it figure out shortly.
Hope this helps someone.