Sat nav traffic always green - Civinfo
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kremmen
  • 1 Post By wildbill

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th January 2018, 08:00 Thread Starter

Car: Honda Civic Gen10 1.5 Sport
Sat nav traffic always green

Does anyone have the traffic status on the sat nav go red. I had an older 9gen which worked correctly. But my 10gen is always green and I can be in very very slow traffic. But the status never changes from green. Traffic is set to trafficmaster and is saying itís got a signal. Am I missing something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th January 2018, 08:12
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by cra2y80y View Post
Does anyone have the traffic status on the sat nav go red. I had an older 9gen which worked correctly. But my 10gen is always green and I can be in very very slow traffic. But the status never changes from green. Traffic is set to trafficmaster and is saying itís got a signal. Am I missing something.
Mine can go from Green to Amber and then Red. Depends on how current and accurate the Traffic Master data is. Sometimes it can be Green and the traffic is horrendous.. Sometime Amber and the road is quite clear. I just take it with a pinch of salt and use the good old MKI Eyeball.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th January 2018, 09:36
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Trafficmaster data can be 15 to 30 mins old.

It goes from their beacons to TMC HQ, then sent to the participating radio stations, then transmitted out.

I used to travel the M25 western section daily. The TMC system used to tell me that the tail of the traffic was at junction 15, clockwise, in the evening peak. My Garmin with digital traffic, updated every minute via Inrix, told me that the tail of the traffic was actually junction 12 or 13, some 5 to10 miles nearer.
Garmin digital was always correct and TMC was completely wrong.

This wasn't just a few days but almost daily.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th January 2018, 11:49
Supporter

Car: 2017 EX 1.0 Manual
Garage
I've noticed other traffic data providers listed in one of the Garmin navigation settings menus. I think they are listed under 'subscriptions' or similar. Does anyone know what these are?

Can the unit get better traffic data than Trafficmaster if it's connected to the internet via wifi/mobile hotspot?

I've recently been using Apple Maps navigation via CarPlay and it was actually very good, and the traffic data was very accurate - the only issue is that you don't get the navigation prompts on the instrument cluster screen, it did however have lane assistance on the main screen. It's nice to have two integrated navigation options.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th January 2018, 12:56

Garage
Dealer told me during a test drive that the new 10th gen unit can receive digital traffic if your phone is sharing it's data connection with the car on wifi. I haven't seen any documentation of that though. Would be nice if someone could confirm this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th January 2018, 15:12

Car: 2019 Civic 5D 1.5 Sport+
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicCliff View Post
I've noticed other traffic data providers listed in one of the Garmin navigation settings menus. I think they are listed under 'subscriptions' or similar. Does anyone know what these are?

They are the other European countries that Honda pay the TMC subscription for, they are not applicable to UK.

Trafficmaster TMC is the only traffic the Garmin Navi uses in the UK, it cant connect via a supplied internet connection to any digital traffic.
Thanks to Steve_m from:
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th January 2018, 15:53
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
I wonder why only TMC?

My Garmin 2699 for example receives Inrix digital traffic via the unit itself (with compatible TA cable, the aerial), or, it can receive viaMichelin traffic data via my phone when connected to Garmin Smartlink.

viaMichelin isn't as good as Inrix, I've tried both extensively.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th January 2018, 16:05
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Even with a DAB radio fitted, they can't get their act into gear and provide sensible traffic from Inrix.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th January 2018, 17:49

Car: 2019 Civic 5D 1.5 Sport+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
I wonder why only TMC?

Best coverage across all of Europe and also cost, TMC is free in many countries (Honda pays the fees per car for UK, France and Italy)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 05:25
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Thanks

I guess Garmin must pay Inrix/viaMichelin and that deal doesn't extend to OEM systems.

That's a shame because the 'digital' traffic is vastly superior. Especially as TMC is limited to motorways and main A roads whereas digital seems to be all roads. I've had accurate traffic info on minor B and unclassified roads before now.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 07:34
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Eco display
Coming into work this morning the SatNav told me that there was a 2 minute delay after J29 on the M 8 at the turn off for the Erskine Bridge, it was the most quiet I've seen all week and sailed through, well not literally? On the other hand, there's mornings there is no traffic message and the queue is shocking.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 07:35
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by nturnb View Post
Coming into work this morning the SatNav told me that there was a 2 minute delay after J29 on the ** at the turn off for the Erskine Bridge, it was the most quiet I've seen all week and sailed through, well not literally? On the other hand, there's mornings there is no traffic message and the queue is shocking.
Mods, why does this edit out M Eight in digits? hardly a swear word and a bit petty...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 08:06
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
M 8 gets converted to, or tries to convert it to the image, text speak for 'mate', and fails.

Just remember to put a gap in.

I'll edit it.
nturnb likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 15th January 2018, 04:07
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Ford, and presumably it's sister brands, are bringing Waze traffic to it's latest head units:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/11/fo...-waze-support/

TMC with it's major road limitations really is yesterday. Better than nothing though.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 15th January 2018, 07:29
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Ford, and presumably it's sister brands, are bringing Waze traffic to it's latest head units:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/11/fo...-waze-support/

TMC with it's major road limitations really is yesterday. Better than nothing though.
I've used WAZE and it's not too shabby considering it's free. Plus traffic updates are instant as there is user input if there are hold ups. Not too sure about the safety aspect of people reporting traffic while they are driving though.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 15th January 2018, 20:20

Car: 2017 Civic Sport 1.5 Turbo
Garage
I've been using WAZE via Android Auto since September, and much prefer it over the built in Garmin NAV on the 10G.
You get up to date live traffic, speed camera's, and a more up to date map.
nturnb likes this.

Last edited by wildbill; 15th January 2018 at 20:22.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th January 2018, 16:10
Supporter

Car: 10G SLASH CTR, rallye red
Garage
I use Google Maps with Android Auto, it navigated me around some largeish traffic jams in the past and I could see it did it better than the other systems around me (they took one ramp earlier and then the people were still stuck).

I've tried WAZE and I don't like it because it makes a game out of it (sort of) and I'm travelling alone most of the time, so no one can add all those things in there.

I'm using an LTE Hotspot in my car (if someone finds a WLAN called Carsenal, you are pretty close to my car) with a data only SIM which comes rather cheap (5 Ä per month or something like that) for all my data need during my journeys. My normal phone has a measly 200 MB traffic limit - which is fine for normal months but not for journeys.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Electronics and ICE (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page