Aftermarket Android Head Unit replacement - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 30th January 2018, 08:43 Thread Starter

Aftermarket Android Head Unit replacement

Hello,

has anyone fitted an aftermarket android head unit to upgrade the stock basick trim level headunit? There exist few such headunits, I have found one called phoenix here

There are also some youtube videos showing the installation and the usage of it, it seems that it is plug and play although the videos are for the american civic. I have already sent an email to them asking if it fits the european models and I will post any update here.

Does any fellow member have installed such a headunit on its 10g civic?

Last edited by elefas; 30th January 2018 at 08:44. Reason: fixed youtube link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 30th January 2018, 09:32
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
The main problem you are up against is that the supplied headunit is heavily integrated into the electronics and some diagnostics. Has been for some years now.

If you change it you will have loads of issues to solve.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 30th January 2018, 10:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
The main problem you are up against is that the supplied headunit is heavily integrated into the electronics and some diagnostics. Has been for some years now.

If you change it you will have loads of issues to solve.
Thanks for the answer. You mean the stock headunit is heavily integrated? The basic stock headunit? The "dumb" 5" inch one with just the radio functionalities, not the 7" android. My main reason for upgrading the stock unit is to get rear-camera and navigation, with the 5" one this is impossible. Upgrading to the 7" stock unit means basically to move to the next trim level which is 4000 euros more expensive .

Could you please pinpoint me some of the issues that might come up upon replacing it?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 30th January 2018, 12:36
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
I'm not the best to ask on this but it all depends on what functions it has, as you say.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 30th January 2018, 12:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Well the relevant page on the american civic forum is here https://www.civicx.com/threads/9-aft...llation.17034/. Can't see any major problem, it looks like it integrates well with most functions of the car like A/C and steering wheel controls (there are some posts about problematic steering wheel controls but it seems it was a faulty headunit).

If somebody has more insight about problems that this installation may cause please provide any info on this thread.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st March 2018, 10:52

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
Donít know if it has been mentioned already but they are starting to sell the vertical Tesla style aftermarket HU. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162894782643

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th March 2018, 20:17
Supporter

Car: 2017 EX 1.0 Manual
Garage
Interesting. It looks like the Honda climate control and trip computer screens can be displayed on the aftermarket unit. When I first saw the 10G climate control screen I thought it would completely preclude the installation of an aftermarket unit.

What about all the vehicle settings menus that appear on the factory unit? Such as lighting settings, instrument configuration, door unlocking settings, TPMS reset, camera grid line settings, alert settings etc... to name just a few that I can think of now?

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Electronics and ICE (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page