Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Join Date: 10th October 2015
Location: Bexhill, Sussex
Thanked 222 Times in 214 Posts
Satnav, Front Parking and Whistle from A/C
Just a note on several topics that have been raised here before.
I took my car in today with the following problems.
1. The satnav car position wanders off the road into the nearby field etc by about 1/2" on the screen.
2. The front pair of parking sensors 'go off' randomly even when not raining.
3. Annoying low level whistle from the Aircon.
The outcome of the day's investigation was as follows.
1. As luck would have it, the marker wandered off on the test drive and the mechanic videoed it. He is going to send the video to Honda and said that they were awaiting a software update to 'fix' it.
2. Again luckily, the front sensors 'went off' on the dry test drive. Honda know about this problem and are 'working on it'. I suspect that the peeps who have had their grille changed are part of this ongoing investigation.
What I would like to know is; how hard can it be to fit a pair of ultrasonic transducers on the front of a car? I have fitted third party ones to the front of 4 cars and never had a problem, apart from the very occasional beep when it is raining. Nothing like the 30 second alert that I had yesterday in the dry on my 10G.
2. The mechanic could hear the whistle, which stops if you switch the fan off, and is contacting Honda about the problem. I don't think this is an isolated case as I have noticed a couple of other posts here with similarly sounding symptoms. I informed him of this, but he has not heard that one before (no pun intended), but admits to knowing about 1 and 2. I suspect it's the airflow through/across one of the pipes etc resonating like a flute or something similar.
So the outcome of visit was my 10G three, Honda nil, even when playing on their own ground. The prognosis was 'Wait and see what Honda comes up with'. I shall not be holding my breath waiting for that to happen anytime soon.
On a different note, while my car was in doc, I was loaned a 9G Civic. The ride is noticeably more choppy than the 10G and is similar to the 10G when you switch on the dynamic damping (or whatever they call it) which 'stiffens it up' quite a lot.