CarPlay Not Working (Solved..or is it?) - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve_m

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th February 2019, 21:18 Thread Starter
LNT

CarPlay Not Working (Solved..or is it?)

This morning when I got into the car and plugged the phone in the CarPlay didnít come up on the phone and CarPlay didnít appear on the screen. I unplugged the phone and tried again. I also plugged in the other USB in the centre console and it still didnít come up. A quick google said to turn phone on and off which I did and luckily CarPlay did come up. But I wondered whether anyone else had suffered this and whether turning the phone off and on was always the solution or whether there is anything sinister afoot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th February 2019, 21:43
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
How often do you turn your phone off? My wifes murder for moaning that things stop working. "When did you last turn it off?", "no idea" is the usual reply.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th February 2019, 23:05 Thread Starter
LNT
** Thread starter **

Hardly ever.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th February 2019, 22:41

Car: 2017 1.0 SR, White
It did happen to me once but restarting the phone worked.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th February 2019, 09:57

I have had the problem you described on one occasion, and indeed I just restarted my iPhone - which I now rarely ever do as I don't need to. The last time it was restarted before this was when the last iOS update was released.

With CarPlay, and I guess AndroidAuto there's going to be issues caused by the software that is used in the Honda head unit and that which runs on the smartphone. My understanding with CarPlay is that it's a pretty straightforward passthrough to the screen of the head unit and is pretty generic across all car manufacturers.

I remember with my old 8G Civic sometimes navigating playlists was painfully slow and was always 'fixed' by restarting my iPhone. In my Father-In-Law's Ford Kuga we were travelling and using my iPhone to listen to iPlayer through the car and it just stopped playing - a restart fixed it again.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th February 2019, 20:07

This happened to me again today actually, and again a restart of the iPhone sorted it.

I'd say it's most likely an Apple issue to be fixed in future updates...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 19th May 2019, 21:05

Car: 2017 1.5 Sport Plus, silver
I do get occasions where CarPlay does not start - it is quite annoying if you are streaming music as by the time the cache clears you are normally several minutes into your journey.
I have noticed a message on my iPhone 7 (iOS 12) saying 'unlock to use USB accessory' so I am trying to plug it in unlocked to see if that helps.
I am usi g a very short Amazon Basics cable, so I don't know if it is related to that.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th May 2019, 12:28

Car: 2019 CR-V Hybrid SR 2.0i-MMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsavill37 View Post
I have noticed a message on my iPhone 7 (iOS 12) saying 'unlock to use USB accessory' so I am trying to plug it in unlocked to see if that helps..

If you change the phones USB accessories setting in Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > USB Accessories to ON then you don't have to unlock the phone to allow Car Play / iPod mode to work.
psbcivic likes this.
Thank You to Steve_m from 4 Users:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th May 2019, 23:19

Car: 2017 1.5 Sport Plus, silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_m View Post
If you change the phones USB accessories setting in Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > USB Accessories to ON then you don't have to unlock the phone to allow Car Play / iPod mode to work.
Thanks for that. Never knew that setting was there Quoting from the menu ' turn off to prevent USB accessories from connecting when your iPhone has been locked for more than one hour.'
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 21st May 2019, 18:07
Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_m View Post
What a great post - I've noticed that with the IOS 12.X updates they have tightened security and I've tending to have to wait until the HU has booted up and then ensure the phone is unlocked to get Carplay to kick in.

I will look forward to seeing how it reacts now with this small but significant change, I would have never have realised this option was there without this post and I'm an UBER IOS GEEK, so Respect to you for knowing this.

Kindest Regards
Darren
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2019, 22:45
Supporter

Car: 2019 1L EX+Tech Pack P/Metal
Garage
Off topic I know but I'm desperate!

Darren,

Do yo know what is causing my wife's iPhone 6S to lose cellular data every few weeks? The only way to bring it back is to reboot the phone?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 23:03
Supporter

Hi Rusky,

It could be a number of things, but it's possible that there could be some conflicting Profiles vs Mobile Data set ups, especially if you've moved from one provider to another with the same phone.

so to check your Mobile Data settings...

Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Network - in this section are all the Mobile Data settings - your network provider should be able to send these over the air to you and you can then update them.

You may also wish to check profiles (you may have installed one or more which are conflicting)

Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management (scroll down to find) depending on your network you may have one or more profiles here.

Again, speak to your service provider who may be able to push the correct or updated setting for you.

Finally, depending on your network area it's sometimes possible that just flicking the airplane mode on and off will connect you back to the network on a different connection, sometime i do this if 4G goes off and it sticks on 3G and by toggling airplane mode on and off you disconnect and rejoin the network.

hope you get it solved and hope these suggests help.

Kindest Regards
Darren

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Electronics and ICE (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page