Sat Nav of Choice? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th March 2019, 13:00 Thread Starter
LNT

Sat Nav of Choice?

Which navigation tool do you favour? As far as I can see there are currently 5 options: On board sat nav, Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps and Sygic. For me avoiding traffic is all important so of those I prefer Waze. However, Tom Tom Go Mobile will be coming to CarPlay (currently in Beta so hopefully soon) and that, for me wipes floor with anything. Just a shame itís voice only at the moment through the USB.

If there are any others youíd recommend Iíd be interested to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th March 2019, 14:09

Car: 2017 1.0 SR, White
I used tomtom go on my mobile on my last car. But since I got my Civic Ive been using google maps. The map and navigation on this is very clear and shows traffic too and other routes along with estimated time delays. The only downfall is that it doesnt show a speedometer or speed limits, but I think google is rolling this out now.
Thanks to D84rk_Knight from:
LNT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th March 2019, 15:43

Car: 2019 CR-V Hybrid SR 2.0i-MMD
Waze everytime (via HondaHack), thou when struggling with no phone signal I will resort to the on-board Garmin

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th March 2019, 17:15 Thread Starter
LNT
** Thread starter **

Sat Nav of Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_m View Post
Waze everytime (via HondaHack), thou when struggling with no phone signal I will resort to the on-board Garmin

Not keen on using a hack really. Iím presuming that could jeopardise any warranty? But if I did use that presumably I could then use the Tom Tom?

Also Waze is on CarPlay so why use the hack?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2019, 11:36

It's varied for me. Generally it's Apple Maps using CarPlay.

I visit different customers most days so it's great tapping my contacts details, then address, then plugging in to my Civic and away!

Often I use the Honda Navigation to get me 'Home' quickly and easily, and sometimes via a scenic route some 50 metres parallel to the road I am actually on.

For long runs when going away for a break I use the Honda Navigation as it displays instructions on the instrument panel so I don't have to keep gazing across at the touchscreen.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2019, 20:00
Supporter

Car: 2019 1L EX+Tech Pack P/Metal
Garage
I like to use Waze via android auto. Still trying to work out how to increase the voice guidance volume though!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2019, 20:20
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
i used sygic years ago, about when it started to become one of the main satnav apps for android but gave up with it as the routing was probably worse than then built-in garmin.

the amount of times i use the built in satnav i'm living with its many flaws. problem is i like built in maps, and not gmaps/waze streaming style. far too many times i've lost data signal when i need it the most. shame garmin/honda gimped the built in version. from what i can tell based on featureset, it's based on a mid/high end nuvi model which allows connectivity via a phone app to get internet traffic (bluetooth?). it's been removed on the honda unit and relies soly on the trafficmaster system. welcome to the 1990's!

if i were reliant on a satnav system for work, i'd seriously be looking at a dedicated tomtom/garmin unit.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2019, 20:44 Thread Starter
LNT
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
I like to use Waze via android auto. Still trying to work out how to increase the voice guidance volume though!

If you turn the volume down on the steering wheel (or up) when the instruction is being read that will do it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2019, 20:45 Thread Starter
LNT
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
i used sygic years ago, about when it started to become one of the main satnav apps for android but gave up with it as the routing was probably worse than then built-in garmin.

the amount of times i use the built in satnav i'm living with its many flaws. problem is i like built in maps, and not gmaps/waze streaming style. far too many times i've lost data signal when i need it the most. shame garmin/honda gimped the built in version. from what i can tell based on featureset, it's based on a mid/high end nuvi model which allows connectivity via a phone app to get internet traffic (bluetooth?). it's been removed on the honda unit and relies soly on the trafficmaster system. welcome to the 1990's!

if i were reliant on a satnav system for work, i'd seriously be looking at a dedicated tomtom/garmin unit.

This is why I canít wait for Tomtom go mobile to come to CarPlay.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2019, 23:03
Supporter

Car: 2019 1L EX+Tech Pack P/Metal
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNT View Post
If you turn the volume down on the steering wheel (or up) when the instruction is being read that will do it.
That's what I thought but it didn't work!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2019, 01:14
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
I have a tom tom stand alone from before I got this car its way ahead of the standard garmin in my late 2015 civic
not really to confident I can trust the garmin from tests ive done on know routes

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Electronics and ICE (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page