After market Nav - Civinfo
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 1st July 2013, 07:49 Thread Starter
Supporter
 
Join Date: 28th June 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand NZ
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader: (0)
After market Nav

I'm getting my Civic tomorrow but there is no Nav option here in NZ. Is there any after market way to add Nav?
StandingAmazed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 1st July 2013, 08:16
Supporter
 
civicnewbie's Avatar
 
Car: 2014 Aygo
Join Date: 18th December 2011
Location: Glasgow SCOTLAND
Posts: 3,159
Thanks: 332
Thanked 847 Times in 734 Posts
iTrader: (12)
I had mine hard wired in under the dash, stuck one of those smooth discs to right hand corner of dash, nav sticks to this with suction really well, looks great
civicnewbie is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 1st July 2013, 08:25 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 28th June 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand NZ
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicnewbie View Post
I had mine hard wired in under the dash, stuck one of those smooth discs to right hand corner of dash, nav sticks to this with suction really well, looks great
I have a Tomtom. How did you hard wire yours?
StandingAmazed is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 1st July 2013, 11:41
 
Join Date: 13th July 2012
Location: Napier, New Zealand NZ
Posts: 51
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingAmazed View Post
I'm getting my Civic tomorrow but there is no Nav option here in NZ. Is there any after market way to add Nav?
I'm ordering my Euro Civic in August and am very interested in replacing the stock OEM radio with a double-DIN Nav unit.

I've tracked down the following facia kit from the UK:

GENUINE CIVIC KIT

Now the trick is to find a suitable head-unit. There are plenty of no-name 'wung-cha' Chinese double-DIN units available in Trade-Me or eBay that will supply NZ maps. However my previous experience with these is that the Nav software is almost certainly unlicensed and therefore unethical (and frustratingly difficult to update the map data down track).

I want to stick to a unit that has genuine licensed Nav software with updates that are affordable and of reasonable frequency. My initial scan of international reviews pointed to the Pioneer AVIC-940BT or 950BT as an attractive unit with great interface, however after contacting the NZ Pioneer agent, I found they don't import Nav units at all. Pioneer Australia do have them but won't offer them with NZ maps. So..

Saw on eBay that Android based double-DIN head units are becoming more common, thus the obvious advantage of a good range of Nav software with NZ maps at reasonable pricing, and the real prospect of regular updates to the map data. The problem is all (except one) are again no-name 'wung-cha' Chinese units with doubtful ability to access firmware upgrades (if any) to fix inevitable bugs and feature lacks.

Therefore the only Android unit I would consider at this stage is made by French company Parrot. Their 'Asteroid Smart' is readily available here in NZ and they look to have plenty of accredited installers around the country:

Parrot Asteroid Smart

The facia kit from the UK mentioned above has optional adapter leads for the the Asteroid Smart. As long as the volume up/down/skip steering wheel controls work correctly with it, it would be high on my list for consideration. However my local Honda dealer thinks I may loose the ability to answer or initiate Bluetooth calls on the steering wheel that the factory OEM radio offers.

I'd be interested to hear what other decent Nav head-options might be do-able here in NZ, and I'll keep researching until I take delivery of my Euro L.

KJ
kendallj is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 1st July 2013, 13:41
 
Car: 2012 1.8 Sport, Silver
Join Date: 24th September 2012
Location: Turin IT
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
When I bought mine, Honda Italy was offering an Alpine INE-W920 for free. I still can use the remote on the steering wheel, but I lost the music info on the i-mid and the usb and aux port on the glove box near the seats. But now I have sat nav, hands free for phone and bluetooth audio streaming. When replacing the oem radio be very careful to check if the new radio turn off when the engine starts after the idle stop.
darkolo is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 1st July 2013, 13:43
 
Car: 2012 1.8 Sport, Silver
Join Date: 24th September 2012
Location: Turin IT
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallj View Post
Visit some forums that speak of this Parrot radio, I've heard bad things about it.
darkolo is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2013, 02:25
 
Join Date: 13th July 2012
Location: Napier, New Zealand NZ
Posts: 51
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkolo View Post
Visit some forums that speak of this Parrot radio, I've heard bad things about it.
Hi darkolo. Thank you. Yes I've spent quite a bit of time reading through the forums. Possibly the most helpful has been the UK Parrot User Forum, and you are right about the reported negatives - it seems the Asteroid hit the market last year with some significant shortcomings. To Parrot's credit, they do appear to be listening and have followed up with significant firmware updates this year that appear to be addressing many of the shortcomings - this gives me cautious optimism that it will be a good choice.

To be fair to Parrot, I think what they are attempting with the Asteroid is in some ways quite pioneering, and it may take another generation of the product to answer some of the major criticisms, but the existing model I think, is heading in the right direction with useful incremental firmware updates, a major plus here in NZ where there still isn't a lot of choice for quality aftermarket Nav units.

My hope is that we will see ongoing innovation with new products from a range of manufacturers - personally I think Android-based units are a good way forward, or perhaps alternatives using something from Microsoft's stable of recent touch-based OSes could provide an excellent basis for a new generation of integrated car products (last year I switched from an Android phone to Windows Phone, and while initially there were some stability issues and significant holes in the App marketplace, major firmware upgrades and the steady growth of apps has produced a very stable and fluid user experience. I love the 'metro' UI compared to Android and won't be returning anytime soon regardless of the SG4's of this world. In my opinion, Nokia's new Lumia series are now fast catching up with the best of the Android and Apple offerings).
kendallj is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2013, 07:47 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 28th June 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand NZ
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Thanks kendallj for your invaluable research. The parrot looks very interesting, but at $1299 NZ retailers are either taking the p#ss or are extremely naive. The same unit can be bought off ebay for US$523 delivered.
StandingAmazed is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2013, 23:01
 
Join Date: 13th July 2012
Location: Napier, New Zealand NZ
Posts: 51
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingAmazed View Post
Thanks kendallj for your invaluable research. The parrot looks very interesting, but at $1299 NZ retailers are either taking the p#ss or are extremely naive. The same unit can be bought off ebay for US$523 delivered.
Noted, thanks
kendallj is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 6th July 2013, 02:22
 
Join Date: 13th July 2012
Location: Napier, New Zealand NZ
Posts: 51
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Got to have a look at an installed Asteroid (not in a Civic). Seemed to work really well and the owner seemed pleased with it. What I didn't like was the very glossy screen - daylight reflections made the screen difficult to see from some angles.

Also, found a good forum for it on xda developers:

(car audio) Parrot ASTEROID Smart - xda-developers

KJ
kendallj is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 6th July 2013, 19:29
 
Join Date: 13th July 2012
Location: Napier, New Zealand NZ
Posts: 51
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
I've done some further research for Nav units with genuine NZ maps.

Rapid - car audio, stereos, alarms, speakers, installs has Clarion, Kenwood and Alpine double-DIN units.

Also they say they can fit NZ Maps to any Pioneer AVIC head unit.

What has caught my interest is the Alpine INE-Z928. The interface looks real good and the reviews seem very positive. It's chassis is double-DIN but the display head is 8" diagonal. Of course I'm wondering if this can be made to fit in the 9th gen Civic...mmm.

Is there anyone with a UK EX who could measure the height and width of the Honda Nav unit bezel (it's definitely larger than double-DIN). The Alpine display head measures 197 mm wide by 124.4 mm high.

KJ
kendallj is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 6th July 2013, 20:38
Supporter
 
civicnewbie's Avatar
 
Car: 2014 Aygo
Join Date: 18th December 2011
Location: Glasgow SCOTLAND
Posts: 3,159
Thanks: 332
Thanked 847 Times in 734 Posts
iTrader: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingAmazed View Post
I have a Tomtom. How did you hard wire yours?
Auto electrician wired in a 12v plug under dash, nothing removed, simply plugged the sat nav to this, then ran the wire up the right hand side and popped out near the windscreen. I usually leave mine plugged in all the time but it can still be removed, you can hardly see the plug when removed.
civicnewbie is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 8th July 2013, 15:23
Supporter
 
Car: RK13 Civic G9 5dr Blue
Join Date: 6th June 2013
Location: Basingstoke, UK GB
Posts: 496
Thanks: 15
Thanked 214 Times in 170 Posts
iTrader: (0)
My aftermarker Nav:



Got me to where I wanted to go everytime. Never had any problems. It even warns me of speed cameras.


Serious question though, is it possible to get a nav installed on my SE that uses the trip computer screen? I'd rather try that than take a screwdriver to my dashboard...

Last edited by Basinga; 8th July 2013 at 15:35.
Basinga is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 9th July 2013, 12:18 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 28th June 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand NZ
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basinga View Post
My aftermarker Nav:



Got me to where I wanted to go everytime. Never had any problems. It even warns me of speed cameras.


Serious question though, is it possible to get a nav installed on my SE that uses the trip computer screen? I'd rather try that than take a screwdriver to my dashboard...
I tried that one but couldn't find Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu in it
StandingAmazed is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 9th July 2013, 12:43
Supporter
 
Car: RK13 Civic G9 5dr Blue
Join Date: 6th June 2013
Location: Basingstoke, UK GB
Posts: 496
Thanks: 15
Thanked 214 Times in 170 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingAmazed View Post
I tried that one but couldn't find Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu in it
Well, no... but Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch is in it.
Basinga is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 9th July 2013, 12:55
 
Join Date: 13th July 2012
Location: Napier, New Zealand NZ
Posts: 51
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingAmazed View Post
I tried that one but couldn't find Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu in it
LOL. I know where that is, and it ain't in Wales
kendallj is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 9th July 2013, 13:03
 
Join Date: 13th July 2012
Location: Napier, New Zealand NZ
Posts: 51
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basinga View Post
My aftermarker Nav:



Got me to where I wanted to go everytime. Never had any problems. It even warns me of speed cameras.
By the looks of the aspect ratio and portrait format of your screen, you must have a Tesla Model S....

Last edited by kendallj; 9th July 2013 at 13:06.
kendallj is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11th March 2014, 12:28
AMD
 
Join Date: 10th March 2014
Location: Auckland, NZ NZ
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallj View Post
I'm ordering my Euro Civic in August and am very interested in replacing the stock OEM radio with a double-DIN Nav unit.

I've tracked down the following facia kit from the UK:

GENUINE CIVIC KIT

Now the trick is to find a suitable head-unit. There are plenty of no-name 'wung-cha' Chinese double-DIN units available in Trade-Me or eBay that will supply NZ maps. However my previous experience with these is that the Nav software is almost certainly unlicensed and therefore unethical (and frustratingly difficult to update the map data down track).

I want to stick to a unit that has genuine licensed Nav software with updates that are affordable and of reasonable frequency. My initial scan of international reviews pointed to the Pioneer AVIC-940BT or 950BT as an attractive unit with great interface, however after contacting the NZ Pioneer agent, I found they don't import Nav units at all. Pioneer Australia do have them but won't offer them with NZ maps. So..

Saw on eBay that Android based double-DIN head units are becoming more common, thus the obvious advantage of a good range of Nav software with NZ maps at reasonable pricing, and the real prospect of regular updates to the map data. The problem is all (except one) are again no-name 'wung-cha' Chinese units with doubtful ability to access firmware upgrades (if any) to fix inevitable bugs and feature lacks.

Therefore the only Android unit I would consider at this stage is made by French company Parrot. Their 'Asteroid Smart' is readily available here in NZ and they look to have plenty of accredited installers around the country:

Parrot Asteroid Smart

The facia kit from the UK mentioned above has optional adapter leads for the the Asteroid Smart. As long as the volume up/down/skip steering wheel controls work correctly with it, it would be high on my list for consideration. However my local Honda dealer thinks I may loose the ability to answer or initiate Bluetooth calls on the steering wheel that the factory OEM radio offers.

I'd be interested to hear what other decent Nav head-options might be do-able here in NZ, and I'll keep researching until I take delivery of my Euro L.

KJ
Hi KJ. Have you upgraded the after market head unit on your civic? Thanks
AMD is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th March 2014, 11:58
 
Join Date: 13th July 2012
Location: Napier, New Zealand NZ
Posts: 51
Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD View Post
Hi KJ. Have you upgraded the after market head unit on your civic? Thanks
Hi AMD. No in the end I opted to go with the latest 9G Accord (not sold in Europe), and it has NAV as standard.

However my ex-wife is looking at a 9G Euro Civic to replace her 7G Civic, which has an aftermarket Double-DIN Sat Nav I installed for her a few years back. She is interested in having the same facility if she gets a 9G Civic, so I may need to dust off my initial research.

KJ
kendallj is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th March 2014, 02:15
bjn
 
bjn's Avatar
 
Car: 2012 Civic Sport auto, red
Join Date: 15th May 2008
Location: Copenhagen, DK DK
Posts: 145
Thanks: 13
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
iTrader: (0)
bjn is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission After-market CV gaiters Trabant Dave Engines and Transmission (8G) 4 12th October 2011 22:51
After market Sat Nav. civicred General Discussion (8G) 2 25th August 2011 17:36
Alloys Choice After market choices pjlaubscher Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G) 10 5th July 2010 17:33
Think I'll Take My Pigs To Market. Jack The Lad. Any non Civic chat here please! 2 21st June 2010 15:38
Add-on nav After Market Sat Nav Roger Stone Electronics (8G) 1 3rd September 2006 16:02

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome