Phone Compatibility - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2013, 07:30 Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Compatibility

I recently got a high end Garmin SatNav to supplement the built in one. The feature I wanted was the SmartLink feature that grabs traffic data every 2 minutes via your SmartPhone.
2 minutes is far better than the 15 minutes the Honda TMC RDS performs.

All linked up and working fine, however, only just noticed that when my Android is paired to the Garmin it's not connected to the HFT

So, plan B is/was to use my old Nokia 6300 PAYG phone to just connect to the HFT for calls.
Snag - as soon as the 6300 connects via Bluetooth the HFT thinks it's a music device and the Nokia constantly warns "No Music Files Found" about every 5 seconds and the HFT keeps showing a 5 second bluetooth connect/disconnect.

Plan C - get out the older Nokia 6230i. That connects OK without the music issue but it only imports the first 6 entries in the phonebook and seems to ignore the HFT's tab feature for finding an entry.

Plan D - go and get a cheap sim-free phone that's compatible.
Snag - none of the sensibly priced sim-free phones (Argos) appear in the HondaHandsFree lists
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th October 2013, 18:33
Pothole Surfer

Car: 2008 VW Golf R32
That seems like a lot of crap just for updated traffic every 13 minutes sooner. Short of looking on eBay for a cheap phone on the list, i've no idea how you are to get around that. Is it not something you can just live with?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 26th October 2013, 08:08
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8 EX GT Man Alabaster
I use CoPilot Live Premium on my iPhone 4s which gives me traffic updates every 5 minutes and HFT without issues. Surely that will be an easier option.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 26th October 2013, 15:38 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
I've actually got it sorted now. Got my old PAYG phone hooked up to the HFT and the smartphone to the Garmin.
The PAYG stays in the boot, permanently hooked up to the power socket and pairs when I start the car.

I use the M25 western section and the difference between 2 and 15 minute updates is quite noticeable.

I've approached M25 junction 11 on many occasions going home and the built in one is showing minor traffic. Enter the motorway and it's nose to tail. Then 5 minutes later the TMC RDS shows the jam.
The Garmin gets it's data from many more sources than TMC and is certainly more accurate as a result.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page