Standard vs Prem Sound System. Specs ? - Civinfo
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 25th October 2013, 09:58 Thread Starter

Standard vs Prem Sound System. Specs ?

Can anybody please provide the spec for the Standard and Premium Sound systems in the Civic ? (inc.output etc)

The Honda Car Builder just states the number of speakers but no more.

Is the standard system any good (all opinions welcomed) ?

I ask as it will be a company car order , I want a red one but my company won't let me have an EX without metallic paint so I'm looking at either an ES or ES-T in Milano.

Ideally I'd like the DAB/Premier system but I'm also keen on having the built in SatNav, on the ES I can't have both so I must choose.

as an aside :-

I've read some where, maybe on here, that the MY14 facelift will include the option of metallic Passion Red, is this true ?

also, do any Honda 'Insiders' know when the MY14 will be available to order ?

(I MUST get my order in by end November but I've only heard a vague statement that MY14 will be 'launched in Early 2014')

Last edited by Plattamus; 25th October 2013 at 21:00. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 25th October 2013, 10:19

Car: 2016 CTR GT, Polished Metal
Garage
Choosing between the Premium Sound and the Sat Nav I would choose the Premium Sound. I am lucky to have both in my Civic but whilst I use the Sat Nav once a month or so (which would easily possible with my iPhone or mobile navigation unit) the Premium Sound system gives me delight every day.
Thanks to Helmigurt from:
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 25th October 2013, 14:17

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
The standard system comes either with 4 single cone plastic speakers or 4 speakers and 2 tweeters. My system with the 4 speakers was nothing special (lacking bass and some treble), upgraded the speakers to the 8G upgrade kit (2 way coaxials), much better. The premium system AFAIK has a separate amplifier as it has to power all the speakers plus the subwoofer. I have added a Honda DAB kit to the unit and am quite happy with the system. Alternatively, you could could go aftermarket and replace the system entirely. Fascia and steering wheel interface kits are available.
Thanks to Vti07 from:

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 25th October 2013, 19:39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vti07 View Post
The standard system comes either with 4 single cone plastic speakers or 4 speakers and 2 tweeters. My system with the 4 speakers was nothing special (lacking bass and some treble), upgraded the speakers to the 8G upgrade kit (2 way coaxials), much better. The premium system AFAIK has a separate amplifier as it has to power all the speakers plus the subwoofer. I have added a Honda DAB kit to the unit and am quite happy with the system. Alternatively, you could could go aftermarket and replace the system entirely. Fascia and steering wheel interface kits are available.
I don't think it uses a separate amp. I think they use just higher quality speakers, tweeters and an active subwoofer.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 27th October 2013, 16:38

Car: Civic 1.6 iDTEC EX
Eco display
Premium has better speakers plus a sub woofer in the boot. Also has a build in hard disk drive that will rip your CD's - so you can borrow these - rip them and still have the tracks.

I haven't found a way of transferring mp3's directly to the HDD but you can just plug in a USB stick and play music directly from there.
Thanks to Slider2 from:
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 28th October 2013, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmigurt View Post
I don't think it uses a separate amp. I think they use just higher quality speakers, tweeters and an active subwoofer.
I know that the 8G Accord has a separate proprietary amp and some US 8/9G sedan variants do as well. It should be the same for the hatch (the amp is possibly located in the boot behind the trim panels I suspect). There is little information on the 9G audio apart from the OEM manufacturer which is Alpine. The Accord and Civic 8G use a Panasonic OEM unit.

Has anyone with the Premium system actually had a look at their speakers to see if they are single cone or 2 way?
Thanks to Vti07 from:
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 28th October 2013, 13:49

Car: Civic 1.6 iDTEC EX
Eco display
Premium audio sounds good but wouldn't know what a 2 way cone looked like if it was thrown at me by a 12ft squirrel.
belknap likes this.
Thanks to Slider2 from:
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 28th October 2013, 19:19
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmigurt View Post
Choosing between the Premium Sound and the Sat Nav I would choose the Premium Sound. I am lucky to have both in my Civic but whilst I use the Sat Nav once a month or so (which would easily possible with my iPhone or mobile navigation unit) the Premium Sound system gives me delight every day.
+1

Turned up loud it's amazing.... I'm no audiophile, but it sounds great to me.

Plus you get DVD playback too.

It's a shame it does not allow mp3's to be copied to the HDD... but a 32gb USB stick is more than enough music.
Thanks to Bog from:
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 28th October 2013, 19:21
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vti07 View Post
I know that the 8G Accord has a separate proprietary amp and some US 8/9G sedan variants do as well. It should be the same for the hatch (the amp is possibly located in the boot behind the trim panels I suspect). There is little information on the 9G audio apart from the OEM manufacturer which is Alpine. The Accord and Civic 8G use a Panasonic OEM unit.

Has anyone with the Premium system actually had a look at their speakers to see if they are single cone or 2 way?
Single cone... IFAK they are the same as the standard speakers. I think the 'Premium' bit is the sub and higher powered output from the HU.

Can you get the 'Premium' system with out the Sat Nav? I thought is was the only the Sat Nav version that had it? (EX & EX-GT)
Thanks to Bog from:
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 28th October 2013, 22:51

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
Single cone... IFAK they are the same as the standard speakers. I think the 'Premium' bit is the sub and higher powered output from the HU.

Can you get the 'Premium' system with out the Sat Nav? I thought is was the only the Sat Nav version that had it? (EX & EX-GT)
Definitely not. The speakers are different. You can see that they shine through the grills yellow. Only the speakers on the premium sound do this.

At least in Austria you can get the Premium sound without the sat nav because it's standard in lifestyle and executive trim whereas the sat nav is an option on all trims.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 31st October 2015, 19:41

Just bought a Civic 2.2 and the sound is very high pitched and treble like, need to turn down the treble and put some bass on but cant find how to access the option.

the manuel says to double tap the volume knob but nothing happens, anyone got any advise ??

thank you
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 31st October 2015, 21:42
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 5 door, NHB
The treble in the 8th gen is just as high pitched. Did Honda change the head unit from the crappy Panasonic one for the 9th gen?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st November 2015, 19:01

Car: 2015 5d 1.6 i-DTEC
Eco display Eco display
And what about the 3D premium sound with a DSP on the newest face lift? Does anybody know how it rates in compare to standard sound?

Thanks
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st November 2015, 22:49
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebna View Post
And what about the 3D premium sound with a DSP on the newest face lift? Does anybody know how it rates in compare to standard sound?

Thanks
Is that on standard car or just opion or ex only ? I think sound in 2015 sr tourer is good as I've heard in non extra cost sounds better than top Sony sound system in 2012 focus . Sounds more balanced and you can hear more atmosphere in live track etc than 8th gen ex and Sony focus headunit.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st November 2015, 23:23

Honda uses a add-on module like this for 3D sound. I have seen this product advertised at the local Honda dealership where I get my car serviced. There would be a module specific to cars like the Civic, CRV, City with the Display Audio screens.
http://www.cam.net.au/audio-processor-mazda-toyota/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Vti07; 1st November 2015 at 23:27.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st November 2015, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by balleballe View Post
The treble in the 8th gen is just as high pitched. Did Honda change the head unit from the crappy Panasonic one for the 9th gen?

I think the non-display HU in the 9G is Clarion. The HU in 8G sedan was Alpine I believe. With the basic Display Audio screen in Jazz and City it should be Mitsubishi. Don't know who makes the Android unit in the facelift 9G.
BTW, the Premium sound system (Panasonic) in the 8G Accord (euro) was quite good for a factory system IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 10:32
Supporter

Car: Mercedes c350e Estate
Anyone know if the speakers are different in the 2015+ models that have the Android head unit (compared to the EX/EX-GT 2013 models).

Am I right in thinking there is no sub on any 2015 hatchback or tourer models?...or is it just the tourer...... I read somewhere they improved the bass through the speakers to compensate.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 12:47

Car: 2015 1.8 5 door, P. Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorm View Post
Anyone know if the speakers are different in the 2015+ models that have the Android head unit (compared to the EX/EX-GT 2013 models).

Am I right in thinking there is no sub on any 2015 hatchback or tourer models?...or is it just the tourer...... I read somewhere they improved the bass through the speakers to compensate.
I am not sure but I have the 2015 hatchl with the Android headunit and Premium Audio and the bass is just great, too much at times. There is no subwoofer though.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 15:18
Supporter

Car: Mercedes c350e Estate
Quote:
Originally Posted by effpe View Post
I am not sure but I have the 2015 hatchl with the Android headunit and Premium Audio and the bass is just great, too much at times. There is no subwoofer though.
The sub drops the boot space from 477 to 467 litres too ... I wonder if you jumped from a 2013 with sub and old premium to 2015 without sub but with the newer android unit....what differences you'd notice playing the same tracks.....
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 21:50
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorm View Post
The sub drops the boot space from 477 to 467 litres too ... I wonder if you jumped from a 2013 with sub and old premium to 2015 without sub but with the newer android unit....what differences you'd notice playing the same tracks.....
Yer would be interested in the results of that test myself too .

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page