Phone Bluetooth dropping out - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 31st May 2014, 02:06 Thread Starter

Car: 2013 MK9 Civic 1.6 EX iDTEC
Bluetooth dropping out

Hi
Have a 9th gen 1.6 dtec EX. Have paired it with several android phones and none of them stay connected when the phone is in the cubby hole next to the handbrake. The only way to get it working is to use a somewhat insecure vent mount just below the hazard button. Other mounts (typically goose neck + suction cup) are no good as the screen is too far from the driver.

I wondered if anyone else had problems with disconnections when it's in the cubby hole. I suspect it's down to the bluetooth aerial located in the light area that isn't really up to the job.
Thoughts ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 31st May 2014, 06:38
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
That shouldn't happen.

My Bluetooth connects to my HTC One from the garage and that's about 10 - 15 yards when I leave the phone in the front bedroom.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 31st May 2014, 11:48
Supporter

Car: 2012 Civic 1.8 ES milano
Mine pairs when I'm in car and left phone in house which is about 20mtrs apart. I get good strong connection. Think you may need to seek help from honda if it's doing this on several devices sounds like fault on head unit.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 31st May 2014, 14:12
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
No problems here either, my iPhone connects and streams well away from the car too.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 31st May 2014, 15:09
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Try wiping phone from cars memory and also car from phones memory. Master reboot phone and start a new pairing.

Sent whilst plotting to take over the world.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th June 2014, 17:33
Supporter

Car: Mercedes c350e Estate
I have an Galaxy S3 that can also be a bit flakey but I use A2DP to a speaker at home and it's ok so an incompatibility between the two?. I have mind mounted securely in a vent mount so it's pretty close.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10th June 2014, 23:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Honda are currently scratching their heads. The manufacturer of the unit Johnson controls says that if the phone isn't on their compatibility list then you can swivel before they will help.
This is definately something to do with the car's bluetooth not an issue with the phones.
So the moral of this story is don't believe a word of the martketing that state that this car has bluetooth functionality for phone and audio. It doesn't unless your phone is on a short list that they won't give you the URL for til after you've bought the car as it's in the manual !
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th June 2014, 21:43
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTIorDTEC View Post
Honda are currently scratching their heads. The manufacturer of the unit Johnson controls says that if the phone isn't on their compatibility list then you can swivel before they will help.
This is definately something to do with the car's bluetooth not an issue with the phones.
So the moral of this story is don't believe a word of the martketing that state that this car has bluetooth functionality for phone and audio. It doesn't unless your phone is on a short list that they won't give you the URL for til after you've bought the car as it's in the manual !
I guess your frustrated but as you can see from the responses above, what you say is not strictly true... The Bluetooth works perfectly fine for most of us (in fact better than expected for me, the streaming is great and it even works with FaceTime and Siri... Can't wait for 'hey Siri' in ios8 where I won't even have to touch the phone).

I think you may just have a faulty unit and your dealer is dragging there heals in replacing the unit.

Btw... If you had done a quick google... You would not have had to buy the car to find the url

Honda Handsfree
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12th June 2014, 07:31

Car: Civic 1.6 iDTEC EX
Eco display
Mine connect perfectly with both an HTC one s and a blackberry 9720. BB is not on the compatibility list.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st June 2014, 17:10 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

It seems the devil is in the detail....
While the current line "official" line from Honda via their dealer is that if it's not on the list it's my problem, in reality, there is more that can/should be done.

Stating the car is bluetooth compatible and can be used with a phone for music and phone calls is just a pointless marketing statment unless it can be applied universally.
So after escalating this to an exec in Honda UK, we are working on doing a bit more testing of what the issue is.
This may involve temporarily swapping out the transmitter unit fitted to the car. The dealer was not prepared to buy one themselves as Honda don't lend parts for testing purposes but we are working on it. The ball is in Honda's court at the moment.

For my part, I have tested one of the phones in question (not on the list) with a different bluetooth receiver and had no problem at all but still had a problem with the car.
I have also cleared the memory and tested one that was on the list and it was fine.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th August 2014, 00:15

Car: 2012 2.2 iDTEC ES
I believe the 2013cars have a different system from my car, but I had some teething troubles with the bluetooth. Turned out that every time I received a text etc the bluetooth would reset and my phone would ask for permission to share my phone book. The problem was I didn't know it was asking this as I wasn't looking at the phone and when I wasn't replying the connection reset and tried again. The solution was to select 'Do not ask again' when giving the phone permission to share with the car.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 31st August 2014, 23:30 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

3 months later, Honda UK are still scratching their heads (or something else ).
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2014, 00:51

Car: 2010 SE-T 1.8 5 door, Blue
I have the same problem with my 2010 Honda Civic's entertainment system- I have my iPhone paired with it to play music and it just keeps dropping out all the time... Rubbish! :/
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th September 2014, 12:21
Supporter

Car: Mercedes c350e Estate
My Galaxy S3 (Android 4.4) would drop out a lot....my new Z1 Compact is fine (also Android 4.4).

I have mine in a vent mount, mine however is secure not insecure

Last edited by TheCorm; 25th September 2014 at 12:21. Reason: typo
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 5th October 2014, 17:43

Bluetooth dropping out

I had a problem with bluetooth dropping out on a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini on a 2013 Civic. I installed an app called "Bluetooth Keep Alive" and this solved the problem. It works perfectly now.

Last edited by Ste-b73; 5th October 2014 at 17:45.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Tags
android , bluetooth , disconnection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page