Parking brake signal for video display - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12th June 2014, 10:18 Thread Starter

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
Parking brake signal for video display

Have ordered a Connects 2 fascia kit and adapter leads to replace my factory stereo. The deck i'll be installing is one of those cheapy ebay GPS 2DIN navi units. Prior to installation I would like to know how to / whereabouts to tap into the "park brake activated signal" (to prevent video viewing on the move). The logical place is somewhere near the brake lever but was hoping someone knew of a wire colour from one of the existing harnesses behind the radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12th June 2014, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vti07 View Post
Have ordered a Connects 2 fascia kit and adapter leads to replace my factory stereo. The deck i'll be installing is one of those cheapy ebay GPS 2DIN navi units. Prior to installation I would like to know how to / whereabouts to tap into the "park brake activated signal" (to prevent video viewing on the move). The logical place is somewhere near the brake lever but was hoping someone knew of a wire colour from one of the existing harnesses behind the radio?
Firstly, I hope you are lucky to get a good unit, I don't think those Chinese units are good.

Secondly, what I did, is just ground the wire for the handbrake. So you can attach the handbrake wire to the negative connection to the head unit. Well, that's how I bypassed it anyway on mine.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12th June 2014, 10:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Parking brake signal for video display

I only paid $200 for the unit though and for the price I don't expect quality or reliability of a name brand. For a bit more I suppose I could've got a US market last generation Pioneer unit (avh-x2500bt) but preferred a unit that provided GPS functionality out of the box and not GPS via App Mode or an MHL adapter. I especially like the AVH-X3500 DAB/ 3600 DAB and the AVIC series but these are way out of my price range.

I actually want to not bypass the brake check function as passengers playing videos on screen would distract my driving (especially at night).

It'll be interesting if I can get the steering wheel control working as connects2 now have a universal adapter lead for no-name brand units.

Last edited by Vti07; 12th June 2014 at 11:05. Reason: edit

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12th June 2014, 10:58
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
In most Honda's is light blue... But Tea method is best because if you connect to blue wire the car will think hand brake is on and the lovely lady in the iMID will nag you
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12th June 2014, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vti07 View Post
I only paid $200 for the unit though and for the price I don't expect quality or reliability of a name brand. For a bit more I suppose I could've got a US market last generation Pioneer unit (avh-x2500bt) but preferred a unit that provided GPS functionality out of the box and not GPS via App Mode or an MHL adapter. I especially like the AVH-X3500 DAB/ 3600 DAB and the AVIC series but these are way out of my price range.
Not to burst your bubble but I got my AVH-X3500DAB for $176 from JB HI-FI
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 13th June 2014, 09:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 13th June 2014, 10:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Good news, I contacted Connects2 tech support and if you use their CANbus interface adapter (which comes with the fascia kit or separately), it already provides the 3 signals to tap into - VSS, park brake and reverse. This is required for HU with builf in GPS Navi.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page