Honda satnav - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th September 2014, 13:11 Thread Starter

Honda satnav

I'm getting a new 1.8 SR in a week or two (perhaps should change my moniker to 4thcivic!) with a 5 year warranty and service deal, and it has the Honda satnav built in. As part of the deal I asked for free updates on the maps, but the salesman thought they were free with services, whereas another thought they were a pay item.

Does anyone know if updates are free with services please, and how does the Honda maps compare with tomtom (where I still have a years worth of map updates pending)? Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th September 2014, 13:31
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
Not really used the sat navigation much but it is a decent setup so doubt you will be disappointed with it, as for updates I have no idea or care to be honest as we hardly ever use it
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th September 2014, 14:51

Car: 2016 1.8 SR. Sporty Blue
sat nav

I have the 1.8 SR as well. Just been to Peak District and probably used 10 post codes. No problems. I am sure you pay for updates .
Thanks to Fred Carter from:

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th September 2014, 17:55

Car: Civic 1.6 iDTEC EX
Eco display
Satnav works well, travelled 30000miles and used both address and PC functions lots - never let me down.

If you have voice control the "Find Nearest" function can be interesting though!! "Find nearest minging restaurant" comes up with a list if Indiana!!! (easy seeing I get bored on long journeys!)
Thanks to Slider2 from:
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th September 2014, 19:15

Paid updates and rather expensive, considering the map data is always at least 2 years old when it releases.
Thank You to martinez from 2 Users:
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 20th September 2014, 22:45
Supporter

Car: 2014 Aygo
I have found the sat nav to be pretty good TBH.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st September 2014, 07:27
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8 EX GT Man Alabaster
I did enquire a few years ago about updating the maps and I think it was about £300. As said above they are about 2 years out of date and only update about every year. Also it is not a thing you can do yourself. I do use it as the traffic section is pretty good but for my main navigation I use Co-Pilot on my iPhone.
Thanks to Alan2605 from:
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st September 2014, 07:50
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
I've never understood the Honda Navteq business model.

At £300 there is no way I would pay that. If they reduced it to say £50 then I would and I bet so would 10+ others = they are selling more updates and pulling in more revenue.
Thanks to Kremmen from:
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st September 2014, 14:09

Can't be updated by yourself in a Civic? You just shove in the new disk in the CR-V and it updates to the new version. Not sure about the SD and HDD models.

About the business model: I would even go as far as offering free updates to the ones servicing their cars at the official dealer as we pay double or triple anyway. Just like with the body rust warranty.

Last edited by martinez; 21st September 2014 at 15:11.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st September 2014, 15:06
Supporter

Car: 2017 EX 1.0 Manual
Garage
The SR will have the HDD satnav. I recall reading somewhere (possibly in another thread here) that updating the satnav database is £180.

I've found the HDD satnav to be excellent and very straightforward to use, it's never once let me down. It does not have a 3D mode (which some like), but this has never bothered me as I have always preferred 2D view. It's nice too because you also get guidance prompts up on the I-MID screen inc. lane assist and countdown etc.

One thing I would have liked would have been an auto scaling/zooming option i.e. map automatically zooms out at higher speeds (e.g. motorways) and zooms in more at lower speeds (around town). However, I find leaving it on the 200yrds setting perfectly fine.

The system also alerts you to traffic issues on route which is nice.
Thanks to CivicCliff from:
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 21st September 2014, 17:28 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the replies folks, very helpful, and I 'll get the salesman to write down a free map upgrade on my paperwork so there is no argument at a future service.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 25th September 2014, 16:57
Supporter

Car: Mercedes c350e Estate
I quite like the Sat Nav, though it's not anything amazing....the map updates are of course a complete rip off.
Thanks to TheCorm from:
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 26th September 2014, 11:41

Card just arrived from Honda offering map update for £145 (£25 off normal price of £145). As a low mileage user shan't be bothering with this one.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 26th September 2014, 11:58
Supporter

Car: 2017 EX 1.0 Manual
Garage
I wonder if updating the maps also updates the software on the unit?

£145 is better, but still expensive.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 26th September 2014, 12:08

DVD models also reflash the firmware.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 26th September 2014, 14:50

Car: 2017 SR CVT
I to have received a card today offering a £145 Map Update. Yes I do want it. For the Honda SD Navigation System it comes on an SD Card.

Does anyone know how to uncover the SD slot on the Sat Nav so that the update can be swopped / plugged in / installed?
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 29th September 2014, 09:28
Supporter

Car: 2018 CR-V, Passion Red Pearl
Location: Uitbergen, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Solar system, Galaxy, Universe BE
Eco display
Garage
@Kremmen WHAAAAAT £300 for 2 year old maps... I bought a Tourer in march with the SD Navigation. Already noticed that some new roundabouts and some roads which are there for more than one year aren't on the map. It frustrates me and especially knowing I paid 1500 € for the SD navigation, which makes it a very expensive GPS-system and after finding out it's got old maps, I wish I didn't bought it, I could've spend the dimes on rear parking sensors or some other stuff.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 29th September 2014, 09:57
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
I know the maps are out of date and from what I've read this is because each new or altered road needs to be worked on so that the navigation engine can work with it. Fastest, shortest, etc

Third party maps on the likes of TT and Garmin have a similar issue but whether they are also 2 years out I don't know.

It all depends on your annual mileage and whether you need the latest you can get. For me who will now be doing under 5k a year it's just not worth it.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 8th October 2014, 11:27

Civic SATNAV Disaster - Disowned by Honda

The SATNAV fitted to my 2014 Civic EX Plus Tourer is erratic, misleading (and potentially dangerous). Mr Philip Crossman [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Honda[/COLOR][/COLOR] UK (MD) has confirmed this is a designed ‘normal characteristic’. The SATNAV in my vehicle is an Alpine SATNAV badged as Honda. Dealerships have no equipment with which to check the system. Honda UK have insufficient in-depth knowledge of the SATNAV and have devolved all diagnostic, remedial authority to Alpine. It’s not engineered as a functional and reliable [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]driving[/COLOR][/COLOR] aid, it’s more as an ‘entertainment device’ and is significantly inferior to other devices freely available at a fraction of the cost. Honda UK withdrew all offers to remedy when Alpine declined to give assistance and now unwilling to accept responsibility for the provision of goods that are not-fit-for-purpose. Honda UK Technical Support has no visibility or knowledge of the Honda interface or functionality of 2015 [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Civic[/COLOR][/COLOR] Android based SATNAV currently presented to the Motoring Press! My advise: steer clear, I now use TomTom.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12th October 2014, 20:48

Honda SATNAV Problems

Hi, I am sorry, I've only just read your message. I deeply regret having taken the upgrade option to buy a 2014 Honda Civic Tourer EX Plus with built in SATNAV. So far as I'm concerned, It's not fit-for-purpose. It isn't Honda, it's Alpine and so far as they are concerned, all the errors that I find misleading and potentially dangerous (it tries to turn you into oncoming traffic and can't consistently identify a junction etc.) are not errors - they are 'characteristics' and perfectly normal. I was offered an investigation with the prospect of replacing the unit - then a couple of hours later Honda withdrew because Alpine wouldn't support them. My complaints have been addressed to Philip Crossman MD Honda UK and he seems to be satisfied to do nothing...! Get a TomTom - free maps and seldom a foot wrong and very much more cost effective!

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page