2012 model - DAB or Bluetooth capabilities? - Civinfo
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Kremmen
  • 3 Post By MickD
  • 2 Post By DZH

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 20th December 2017, 10:50 Thread Starter

Car: 2012 5dr hatch
2012 model - DAB or Bluetooth capabilities?

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2012 Civic and am unclear about the ICE spec on offer.

I'm interested in ES or EX variants and would like to know if either have DAB, or if they offer the option of Bluetooth for music/satnav audio WITH the option to control it via steering wheel/dash controls
(i.e. track skip)

Any help much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 20th December 2017, 11:05
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
DAB wasn't introduced until the MY13.

The MY12 models also have an issue with the iMid in that a lot of functions are locked out unless your stopped and handbrake on, so you can't switch from average mpg to tank range for example.

Bluetooth should be fine for pairing a phone though.
Grampian likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 21st December 2017, 01:23
azc

Car: 2018 1.5 S-Design (CVT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
DAB wasn't introduced until the MY13.

The MY12 models also have an issue with the iMid in that a lot of functions are locked out unless your stopped and handbrake on, so you can't switch from average mpg to tank range for example.

Bluetooth should be fine for pairing a phone though.
If you hold down the info button on the steering wheel after a few seconds the range/mpg should start flashing. Press the info button to scroll through the available info.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 21st December 2017, 05:20
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Not on a 2012 model you can't
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 21st December 2017, 08:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2012 5dr hatch
Thanks for the replies. I've seen a lot about limitations to iMid on 2012 cars but don't think the restrictions will be a big issue.

On the Bluetooth connectivity, my current car allows it to be used for phone calls but not music playback. It sounds like the Civics are not set up that way.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 21st December 2017, 11:11
Supporter

Car: 2012 2.2 ES Civic Black
I have Civic 2012 2.2 ES Bluetooth phone will play music and also make phone calls voice activated and of course receive calls
Will play music from a usb in the armrest to an ipod all info will appear on the Imid Screen if you want all music stops for incoming calls
Great car really quick and really good Mpg on motorways best car I ever had would not change it
NeilV, DZH and Grampian like this.

Last edited by MickD; 21st December 2017 at 11:21.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 21st December 2017, 12:21
DZH

Car: 2012 Civic ES 1.8 i-VTEC
Garage
I also have a 2012 ES and I honestly don't feel the need to switch between fuel range to average mpg etc. on the fly when driving, so I wouldn't have even known of that 2012 iMid limitation if I hadn't have read it previously on this forum. I just leave mine showing the average mpg. As has already been mentioned though by Kremmen, the 2012 models don't have DAB, so you'll have to decide whether that's an issue for you.

I personally really like this car and can't see me changing it for a good few years.

Just to clarify the differences between ES and EX models for a MY2012:

ES has:
Leather steering wheel and gear knob
Aluminium pedals
Dual zone climate
Front fogs
Electronic folding mirrors (remote folding as well)
Auto lights and Auto wipers
Cruise control
Bluetooth
(and other stuff found on the trim levels before, like DRL's, Auto Idle Stop on manual transmission (Start/Stop), Magic Seats, Heated mirrors)

The EX has the above but adds:
Leather upholstery
Heated front seats
Premium audio with subwoofer
Sat nav with screen and a video jack
silverbawz and Grampian like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 11:48

Car: 2012 2.2SE 5dr NightHawk Blk
Hi Grampian,
Hope this doesn't come too late!
I also have a 2.2 ES, really happy with it except for a few small things that I didn't think about before buying;

Rear parking sensors (I didn't value them when I was looking, I have a rear camera which is better given the choice but it's not good when it's wet and dark because the lights tend to overexpose and if you forget to wipe the dirt/cobwebs off its a bit redundant.
DAB Radio/iMID the MY13 models (mine is an MY12) allows you to change the displayed Range/MPG etc whilst driving, mine doesn't and I don't have DAB Radio
Leather Seats We have a dog and the hairs get stuck in the cloth seats, they are very good compared to Vauxhall/Ford cloth ones but leather would be wipe clean

The observant among you may notice that this list is the same as I have posted elsewhere on this forum but I wasn't sure how to link to another post. On the switching modes on the iMid, I don't do it often but only ever think about it when I'm moving . I have heard people say that DAB isn't very good quality anyway & the stations I want to listen to are on DAB+ now.

Phone compatibility is very dependant on the phone you use. USB connectivity is V. good if you have an iPhone as this supports good old fashioned mass storage so the iMid/audio can get all your meta data (Track, artist, album art etc) you can use any playlist you have stored on the iPhone, you can even select the music via the phone or using Siri. Unfortunately later models of Andriod don't support Mass Storage so Bluetooth or 3.5mm jack (headphone output) are the only connection options but these do not supply meta data and only Bluetooth allows skipping tracks.

I use my iPhone connecting to the USB AND Bluetooth but with the USB connection selected on the ICE unit, as this is independent of the volume level of the phone, provides meta data, and if I select a play list via the ICE unit when playing a track I can go up one level to the full list of tracks and select any one I want.

Hope this helps

NeilV
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 12:44
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
My 2013 DAB radio is fine, but I am in London. I'm sure it's DAB+ as well ?

However, there is a DAB anomoly ..... when you are listening to a FM station and a TA broadcast cuts in, the iMid shows the TA station that has taken control. Useful because you can see whether the station is in your area of interest.
With DAB, TA transmissions still cut in but you get no iMid text telling you what station is now being received.

I've never had any issues pairing and using a range of HTC AND Samsung Android phones
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th January 2018, 11:16

Car: 2012 Honda Civic 1.8 ES
I have a 2012 ES and I don't give a hoot about the limitations of the i-mid system because I'm not at all interested in my 'average' mpg! Phone connects to the system with ease for bluetooth hands free, not sure about music. I have an ipod in my armrest anyway so I havent needed to worry about bluetooth.

Reverse camera and rear parking sensors are a nice edition over the SE.

Boot lock might get a bit iffy though, mine opens when it feels like it and hardly ever when you actually want to use the boot.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 20th October 2018, 16:48
Supporter

Car: 2012 2.2 I-Dtec
Necro thread bump

Looking at 2012 - 2013 2.2 civics do they all support Bluetooth streaming or should I be looking for a specific model / ice package?
Thanks to MrLongbeard from:

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page