Other Strange locking issue. - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By M8TJT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 14:18 Thread Starter

Car: 2012 Honda Civic 1.8 ES
Strange locking issue.

So I've been busy changing locking parts, front actuator, boot lock etc. No change, remote control still doesn't lock the car and the boot door open light stays on when I'm driving.

Then I noticed that everything works fine if the lights are left on. No warnings, car locks and unlocks on the remote, no issues.

1wh1ats causing this to happen? Why does my car only work properly with the lights on???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 16:14

Car: 2006 1.8 ivtec Civic 8th Gen
SO left on auto or actually left on and you lock the car ?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 16:38
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Just a really out there stab in the dark, but have you changed the boot light for non CANBUS LEDs? (Thinking is, computer thinks the boot light is on, so assumes the boot is not closed thus won't lock the car.)
Kremmen likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 16:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

If it's on Auto and the lights come on, all works fine, until I turn the car off and it all goes tits up again. But if I turn the lights on manually, get out of the car and remote lock it, it works perfectly.

No light bulbs have been changed, the boot light is currently unplugged,
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 17:13

Car: 2019 Civic 5D 1.5 Sport+
You need to remove the drivers side rear quarter interior trim and check the connector where the tailgate harness connects the body harness, many occurrences of corrosion in the connector causing cross connection between circuits, it sounds as if your tailgate switch (which is in the latch) has cross connected with probably the number plate light circuit.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 17:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I've got all the boot trim off at the moment, I had it off today to switch out the boot latch as my initial thought was it might be that, So I should hoof out the trim behind the rear seats and look for a bad connection? It just seems strange that it would happen out of the blue, no warning at all. Just driving along one day and suddenly for a split second a warning popped up on i-mid and that was that, problems all started.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 17:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

But wouldnt that cause the opposite though? So with my issue being that everything is fine with the lights on, and then the locking etc not working with the lights off, would that not be the other way round if there was an issue there?

Would unplugging the number plate lights and seeing what happens be an indication?

Last edited by Fozziie; 20th January 2018 at 18:05.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 19:02

This connector can also have the symptom of DTC for brake light switch failure, due to corrosion in the connector it can provide an earth to many of the other circuits, when the lights are on they will be drawing that earth away from the tailgate latch. Earth problems have some really funny symptoms. Its certain worth a look before you go much further.

This is the connector (circled in red), just requires the side quarter panel interior trim removing.

Thank You to Steve_m from 2 Users:
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 19:19 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Forgive my lack of knowledge here lol. I deal with cameras, no electrics lol. So once I get to this connector, what am I looking for? Signs of water ingress and then dry it or something along those lines?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 19:38

Unplug them spray them with some electrical contact cleaner and make sure there not corroded. Unplug them a few times to remove any build up of crud .
Thanks to The cjrshop from:
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozziie View Post
Forgive my lack of knowledge here lol. I deal with cameras, no electrics lol. So once I get to this connector, what am I looking for? Signs of water ingress and then dry it or something along those lines?

Signs of corrosion, normally green or black deposits, depending on the severity it can be just cleaned other wise it may need new connector terminals / harnesses.

Just disconnecting and reconnecting may cause a temporary fix or with the connector disconnected you may be able to identify the earth path for the tailgate latch. e.g you can then lock the car with that connector disconnected (tailgate open)
Thanks to Steve_m from:
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 19:44 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Cool That'll give me something to get stuck into tomorrow morning. Then I guess I'll need to clean the inside of the car because its full of discarded trim, spanners and screw drivers. That boot trim is total nightmare to come off!! Took me 2 hours to get it off.

Then there was the drivers door actuator, Swapped that over so many times now I can change one out for another in just under 10 mins lol.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 20:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Okay, so my car has now decided it wants to make the alarm go off every 10 minutes, even though the car is locked! Even with the boot lock unplugged from the wiring it's going off!! What's that about?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 20:52

You definitely have a Renault instead of a Honda , just kidding sounds like interferance so more likely a ground fault ,maybe a ground left off somewhere ?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 20:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I haven't unplugged anything that would cause an earth to unearth itself. No idea what's going on now!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 21st January 2018, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozziie View Post
Okay, so my car has now decided it wants to make the alarm go off every 10 minutes, even though the car is locked! Even with the boot lock unplugged from the wiring it's going off!! What's that about?

Most likely because the MICU is getting a ground on the boot wire in the harness up stream from the boot latch, just check the connector that I have previously mentioned that is most likely the only connector between boot latch and MICU
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 21st January 2018, 12:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Okay, so all seems right now. Unplugged and checked the connection, all looked fine, cleaned it up and put it back in, did the same for all the connections in the boot door too. Plugged the battery back in and all seems to be working okay now, left the car running for a while and checked all the lights etc. For now, it appears as though the problem is solved. So thanks
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 21st January 2018, 19:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Problem not solved. Was working fine earlier, now it's not...its raining too and I've noticed that one of the number plate light bulbs is only working if I give the boot a good slam. So I'm wondering if there's a wee leak somewhere?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2018, 10:30 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Update:

Did exactly the same today as I did yesterday, when I thought I'd sorted it. This time it hasn't worked and the issue is still there. No leak either so I can't even put it down to the weather. All the earths that I can see look intact and clean, so I can only assume the earths are fine.

So I'm at a loss now, I fully expect this to cost me over a grand to get sorted at the dealers I've checked all the fuses for things like central locking, no joy. Is there any other part of the cars wiring where the boot sensor is wired with the lights? I'm really annoyed at how this issue just happened out of nowhere, while I was driving and without me having tampered with anything at all.

Update:

Decided to sit in the boot pressing the lock button while unplugging things and plugging them back in, I think its a bad connection with the main wiring inside the boot lid, I moved it about and it kicked back into life. So I've put it all back together now but left access to the connector in question. When it breaks again I'll be able to reach up and grab the wiring. if that fixes it again then I'm confident I have the answer.

Last edited by Fozziie; 22nd January 2018 at 12:00.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th February 2018, 16:38

Garage
I've got the same problem I think. Boot open light flashing randomly. I tried to get access to the boot lock but I couldn't take off the plastics, covers. I found only 2 screws and I think the others are in handles, but I will probably destroy them before take them out. Do anyone have any advice?

Last edited by vaywood; 4th February 2018 at 16:40.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page