• 1 Post By Steve_m

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2018, 23:10 Thread Starter
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Connect update ... nervous.

Decided to update satnav after car advised to check for updates. Read up on what to do and purchased a 32gig USB stick. I did as it advised. Formatted it to Fat32. Took it to car and placed in USB port, started car and followed instructions then waited over a minute before removing. Booted up laptop, opened garmin express then inserted USB stick when it instructed. When it started downloading the update it soon got to over 4 hours so I left it to it. But windows 10 had other ideas and started to also download a update all via wifi, so the clock shot to near 6 hours. In the early hours I awoke to see a green screen and windows wanting to restart to install the updates. Had my map updates finished? I couldn't tell if windows had interfered so unplugged USB, restarted computer and started again by formatting usb stick. Next day back to car, back to laptop and when update started loading it said 15 minutes !! Bit of a difference. Sure enough it finished it said time. My paranoia asking what's it's not loaded leading to a failed update in car. My satnav working ok with no problems so do I forget update and live with old maps or go for it and risk buggering up satnav???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 24th March 2018, 06:23
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Downloading Garmin maps, even for their PND's has always been painful.

My fibre connection can take up to 2 hours, so it's their end throttling.

Garmin Express always tells you 'I've got it now so you can leave it to finish' but I've had a few failures by allowing the screen saver to cut in so I wiggle the mouse every so often to keep the PC alive.

What Garmin do though is download the Gb in multi smaller files so if it does crash or baulk then when you start GE again it recognises the files already downloaded and carries on from the next one.
Only when complete does it stitch the files together.

= if your's isn't complete then try downloading again and it should be quicker.

(And why I stuck with Win 7)
Red Dwarf likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 24th March 2018, 09:30

Car: 2019 Civic 5D 1.5 Sport+
If your concerned with what you downloaded, then un-install Garmin express and start again with a fresh install and go through the whole process again getting fresh data from car and Garmin.

Once the map is downloaded into the PC, it does store in Garmin Express and would be re-used if you went through the process without removing Garmin Express, this is ideal for dealers as they only have to wait for the map to download once and for other cars it only takes 20mins to transfer on to USB for another vehicle.
Red Dwarf likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 24th March 2018, 09:36 Thread Starter
I Hate tailgaters!
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_m View Post
If your concerned with what you downloaded, then un-install Garmin express and start again with a fresh install and go through the whole process again getting fresh data from car and Garmin.

Once the map is downloaded into the PC, it does store in Garmin Express and would be re-used if you went through the process without removing Garmin Express, this is ideal for dealers as they only have to wait for the map to download once and for other cars it only takes 20mins to transfer on to USB for another vehicle.

That would explain why so quick second time. It already had map in its memory whilst first time it was downloading from tinterweb. Hadn't thought of that.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 24th March 2018, 17:55 Thread Starter
I Hate tailgaters!
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage

Well. Went for it and after a 15 upload it said job done. Seems ok but not been for a drive yet, been busy with the rags and things.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page