3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 9th May 2018, 12:51 Thread Starter
Wizard

Car: 2016, 1.6 i-DTEC SR, Silver
Eco display
RC8 - Any info?

Hi guys,

I've been booked in to Honda in couple of days to fix the door lock (it doesn't respond to the key) and upgrade the honda connect system.
I asked the service manager about the version available for my car, and was told that the new RC8 will be installed - I asked if he meant RC7 and nope, RC8.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything about the RC8 update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 9th May 2018, 13:53
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Thanks to Kremmen from:
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12th May 2018, 12:53
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
I see you've found my other post already :P

I went straight from RC4 to RC8, Simply as I fancied trying out the update.
The fixes all work, and the unit is a bit more responsive:- The only issue I've had thus far is when using mirror link, USB Music will be choppy - I imagine the mirrorlink connection is congesting the USB.

Only downside is that you won't be able to install 3rd party apps (yet )

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 16th May 2018, 10:01 Thread Starter
Wizard
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Thanks for the info guys.

It looks like i have rc4 installed at the moment as well and the dealet has notified me that someone modified the core android files on my sat nav which prevented them from updating 4 months ago. I have no idea what the previous owner did lol. It was a car rental company (learnt that after 3 months of ownership...) and it looks like they locked down a lot of features as well... Only realised how many functions are missing after trying out my friends petrol version, same year and spec. Service guys at honda are now trying to bring it back to factory, which hopefully will go smooth 😁

If i were to install any apps it would be spotify but i use my phone for that everywhere so its not really an inconvenience. I have Bluetooth on all the time and music just starts playing on its own as soon as the unit connects 😁

I was going to ask you for the files but im not brave enough to do the update myself hehe
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 16th May 2018, 11:59 Thread Starter
Wizard
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartekkk View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

It looks like i have rc4 installed at the moment as well and the dealet has notified me that someone modified the core android files on my sat nav which prevented them from updating 4 months ago. I have no idea what the previous owner did lol. It was a car rental company (learnt that after 3 months of ownership...) and it looks like they locked down a lot of features as well... Only realised how many functions are missing after trying out my friends petrol version, same year and spec. Service guys at honda are now trying to bring it back to factory, which hopefully will go smooth 😁

If i were to install any apps it would be spotify but i use my phone for that everywhere so its not really an inconvenience. I have Bluetooth on all the time and music just starts playing on its own as soon as the unit connects 😁

I was going to ask you for the files but im not brave enough to do the update myself hehe
All done - updated.
Version is now showing 10.096.00.1123 (Previously showing 09.08C.00.1123) under About in Settings.
Build Nov 29 2017

It does indeed feel more snappy and certainly Bluetooth quality has improved much!
I will give MirrorLink a try at some point, as it does sound like an amazing feature
Haltamer likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 16th May 2018, 12:31
Supporter

Garage
I wonder what changes they had made originally; With the earlier RC versions it was possible to side-load apps, but I'm not sure why they would want to make changes to android modules.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 17th May 2018, 10:57 Thread Starter
Wizard
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post
I wonder what changes they had made originally; With the earlier RC versions it was possible to side-load apps, but I'm not sure why they would want to make changes to android modules.
No idea what the previous owner modified. All I know is they did something they shouldn't have...

What works now, and didn't work well or didn't work at all before:
  • MirrorLink works now (Samsung Galaxy S9+)
  • Bluetooth doesn't disconnect, voice + music is clear with no weird noises popping up
  • The entire system is much more responsive - any touches on the nav/music/browser have immediate effect
  • DAB seems to finally connect to all stations (had an issue where it would connect only to a couple of stations)
  • Playing music from USB didn't work at all - works now
  • More wallpapers - previously there was only 2
  • MPG calculation seems to work differently - Always jumped up to 50 - 60 after fillup and stayed there, now it rises from 0 and keeps going up with miles (this one is odd)
  • Finally can change the skin - previously it was always stuck on the simple view one.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 17th May 2018, 11:02
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartekkk View Post
  • MPG calculation seems to work differently - Always jumped up to 50 - 60 after fillup and stayed there, now it rises from 0 and keeps going up with miles (this one is odd)
Is that as visible in the I-Mid? Are you sure you're not in avg. Speed mode?
I've got RC8 and that sounds very strange:- In Avg. MPG, It will rise very quickly after filling (As it's a small average) and then go from there, as it always has been.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 17th May 2018, 15:19 Thread Starter
Wizard
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Quote:
Is that as visible in the I-Mid? Are you sure you're not in avg. Speed mode?
I've got RC8 and that sounds very strange:- In Avg. MPG, It will rise very quickly after filling (As it's a small average) and then go from there, as it always has been.
Yes - on the i-Mid.
I double checked to be sure, its on Avg. MPG.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on with that - I never seen it go on this way.
This morning drive it went from 3.1MPG to 34MPG (15 miles). Then a very short journey for lunch and upped to 39MPG (Approx 2miles).

I'll check on the drive home and post back what it goes to. The trip for lunch I tried to drive quite aggressively and it still was going up
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 17th May 2018, 15:57
Supporter

Garage
Can't remember the format of the display off the top of my head, does it specify MPG, or has it been switched to L/100KM?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 17th May 2018, 18:59 Thread Starter
Wizard
** Thread starter **

Eco display
It says Avg. (Fuel Pump Symbol) 59.7 mpg
Went up from 39 to 59 on the trip back home.

Bit curious on what's going on - especially that its rare for me to go above 58mpg ;D
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 17th February 2019, 18:35

Car: Civic 1.8 SE+ 2015
This seems like a silly question so please forgive me, but I've had my 2015 se+ for 2 weeks, the non nav one, and I'm struggling to do anything with it other than bluetooth audio. I would love to get some form of navigation on there so I guess mirrorlink is my only way. My phone is LG G7 on android 8.0, I've no idea what version software I'm running and have no clue how to find it! Any pointers would be appreciated!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 17th February 2019, 19:18
Supporter

Garage
I'm guessing you're not a fan of the standard Garmin navigation?

Mirrorlink is an option, if you use something like the Sygic mirrorlink app - however the license isn't cheap:- If you update, mirrorlink would most likely work, but personally, I'd say it's probably not the best option?

It may be worth you trying the 3rd party app installation method that I've created a guide for (have a look around this section) - You can load google maps or sygic directly onto the unit, which saves you having to connect your phone.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th February 2019, 18:32

Quote:
I'm guessing you're not a fan of the standard Garmin navigation?

Mirrorlink is an option, if you use something like the Sygic mirrorlink app - however the license isn't cheap:- If you update, mirrorlink would most likely work, but personally, I'd say it's probably not the best option?

It may be worth you trying the 3rd party app installation method that I've created a guide for (have a look around this section) - You can load google maps or sygic directly onto the unit, which saves you having to connect your phone.
Hi, thanks for replying, it doesn't have navigation on it, but would be happy if I had that! Does mirrorlink work simply by plugging in to the usb in the centre? If so, I have tried it but says no phone connected. If there is a simple step by step guide that doesn't brick my unit I'd be willing to give it a go..once again thanks in advance!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th February 2019, 19:16
Supporter

Garage
@Bootruss , Give this a go: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/how-gu...-headunit.html

You're in luck; Even though you don't have the Navi edition, all Honda connect units come with GPS.

You could also run the RC8 Update for possible mirrorlink operation, however, I don't think mirrorlink is the best option as there aren't that many apps - only the aforementioned sygic app.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th February 2019, 19:50

Thanks for this, so I connect to the web in the car (using hot spot) download the Honda download app and add the APK's from the Honda states and open from downloads like any regular APK? What nav options are there?
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th February 2019, 20:40
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootruss View Post
What nav options are there?
You've got it about right - Just follow the guide along; You may need to do a factory reset first - And don't forget to set the permissions in the Honda permissions app, or you'll have trouble.

For Nav; Anything on CM Droid is fair game - And any other apps that run on android 4.0.4 (Those in CM Droid are at least moderately stable)

Favourites are Waze, Google maps and sygic; You'll need a mobile hotspot to get the best out of them, but the traffic and other live features are often worthwhile.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th February 2019, 21:12

Thanks, I've got into this now, factory reset Android, downloaded APK of Google maps, set permissions as per kuhrees guide, the maps open but when you put in an address it closes the programme. I tried loading from cmdroid but neither maps or Waze would launch.. Well Waze did but no mapping was visible! Any ideas why maps would close? Thanks again!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th February 2019, 21:14
Supporter

Garage
I do seem to remember someone else mentioning an issue with maps closing, though I've used it successfully on my own. May be worth trying an older APK if you can get one; If not the old classic - Cleaning application data / caches etc.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 19th February 2019, 13:20

I give up! Tried everything, reset, clear cache, but maps just closes when you select navigate.. Tried Waze from cmdroid but that fails to install.. Never mind.. Back to the phone! Thanks all..

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Tags
connect , navi , rc7 , rc8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page