Help with i-MID Displaying Nav - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 9th May 2018, 22:28 Thread Starter

Help with i-MID Displaying Nav

Hello All

First off great forum. Very informative and a great read.

Now for my issue that I hope someone can help with.

I have a 2017 9th Gen Civic SR. Its got Sat Nav and I-Mid displays. I have seen avideo on youtube. Link here

youtube.com/watch?v=umBL6ohyuKY

(but you'll have to copy paste to see it as I can't post links yet due to forum rules)

that shows the i-MID displaying simple directions from the main Sat Nav, which I think is a great idea as looking down at Sat Nav takes your eyes off the road.

Problem is that I can't find out how to enable this feature. Scrolling through the i-MID options with the steering wheel controls and seatching menus doesn't bring up a Nav option. The owners manual makes no mention of it either.

The only thing I can think of is that in the video the car the guy is driving has an older sat nav. The type with 2 rows of buttons. Mine has newer model with one row and hence Honda might have disabled the option on the newer model.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th May 2018, 05:28
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
I've got the older Alpine nav and that certainly displays 'next turn' info in the iMid when selected, which as you say is far better than taking your peripheral vision off the road.

If it's not in the manual then maybe that option was dropped with the Connect unit.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th May 2018, 06:57
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
It's also available on my 10G.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th May 2018, 07:34

Car: 2016 1.8 SE + Navi Auto Blk
Garage
Hi. I have a late 2016 Civic with the connect 2 sat nav and it doesn't display turn by turn in the i-mid unfortunately. I asked my Honda dealer about it and they said it wasn't implemented in this version but is on the 10th G model. Shame huh. Don't see why it can't be upgraded but Honda don't offer that.
Thank You to ouzy2001 from 2 Users:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th May 2018, 07:55
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
That will be the definitive answer that the OP didn't want then.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th May 2018, 09:44
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
I've always thought it would be nice to have a GPS display on the I-Mid; The limited functionality it enjoys at present seems like a waste of a perfectly good display!
I wonder how they drive the I-Mid, As It must be independent of the Connect unit (To be used with lower specs), however it is still able to display information via the connect unit.

I'm sure software would be able to accomplish this, it's just a matter of willingness to release software updates.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th May 2018, 12:57

Car: 2019 Civic 5D 1.5 Sport+
As per the 9G Honda Connect FAQ

Honda CONNECT FAQ | Honda

Page 19 -
Q: On my previous Honda vehicle the Navigation system gave me Turn by Turn information in the centre display screen (i-MID). How can I get that same information from the current system?

A: Garmin Navigation uses the Honda Connect display for the navigation guidance information where the Auto zoom map function for manoeuvre is displayed and also Junction view
Thanks to Steve_m from:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th May 2018, 19:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks all for the replies and Steve_m for the definitive.

Definately not the result that I wanted to hear but nevertheless has put a stop to me searching high and low for a menu option.

Strange how Honda decided to drop this feature when it clearly was a good idea. They've learned though, by including on the 10g...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th May 2018, 15:04
Supporter

Car: 2017 EX 1.0 Manual
Garage
Quote:
Strange how Honda decided to drop this feature when it clearly was a good idea.
Indeed! How much effort would it have taken to write an API to interface the Garmin software with the i-MID.

As said above.. it was a handy feature in the pre-facelift 9Gs with the HDD premium audio systems.

Anyhow, at least the 9Gs screen is slightly angled towards the driver and is still very easy to glance at.

Hope you're enjoying your 9G SR, it's a fantastic car
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 21st May 2018, 21:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hello CivicCliff

Yes, loving it. Actually its the misses motor, I pay for it and get the benefit of being drivern around.

Not the first Honda we've had though. Between us we've had a load of bikes from CG125 being my first, a CB125single, a 125 twin a load of 250 superdreams and 400 superdream that I have in bits in the garage ready to rebuild, a 600 Hornet and a CB750 1995.

Car wise, we;ve had a couple of CRVs and got the G9 SR because some plon-er went into the side of our 6G 1997 3 door 1.5iLS and wrote it off (category N). Gutted the misses was. It has only done 61k and in very good condition but sadly needs a bit of work to get back on the road as the passenger side door and rear panel is caved in.

Still sitting on our drive now as we dont really know what to do with it now that the insurance has paid out. It would be a shame to see it go to scrap.

Anyway. Thanks for your comments and friendly post. All the best

Last edited by conroe452; 21st May 2018 at 22:01. Reason: more spelling mistakes DOH

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page