Honda Connect RC8 - Page 5 - Civinfo
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 94 (permalink) Old 10th July 2019, 17:56

Unhappy Honda Service won't upgrade without fee

So I got a weird one.
2016 Honda Civic Hatchback pretty sure I have RC6 (0C.091.01.0021)
I'm trying to upgrade to RC8 as the DAB audio will turn itself off.
I've been once before and just wanted to update to RC8 as heard good things about it but they said they only update if there's an issue.

Well now I do have an issue and when I called them to see if they can do it (don't want to arrive again and be turned away) they said they'll have to run diagnostics and it'll cost 140 quid.
Anyone else experienced this or got any suggestions? Is it just because the unit is out of warranty (not sure if it is)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 94 (permalink) Old 10th July 2019, 18:18

In Portugal my 2015 Civic have 5 years warranty so the update was free because i complained about bluetooth calls.

Your car is not in warranty period? If it is i guess they have to check it for free.
post #83 of 94 (permalink) Old 14th July 2019, 16:36

I guess I'll just do it myself following the guide. Doesn't seem too hard.

post #84 of 94 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 10:00

Car: Civic 1.8 ES
Hi,

Can anyone provide advice on how to match the version number on the screen to the RC number so I know what RC number mine is?

The car has full Honda history but I have a sneaking suspicion its never been upgraded

Thanks
post #85 of 94 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 10:15

Car: 2016 Civic Tourer auto
If you look at the XDA developers websitehttps://forum.xda-developers.com/general/security/honda-connect-android-t3179549/page176/page176 you should be able to suss it out from that.

By the way that thread gives a lot of good info re sideloading apps.

Charles
post #86 of 94 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw View Post
If you look at the XDA developers websitehttps://forum.xda-developers.com/general/security/honda-connect-android-t3179549/page176/page176 you should be able to suss it out from that.

Charles
Thanks for that, it appears that simple things are not as straight forward as they should be with this device
post #87 of 94 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw View Post

Charles
So I did the button combo and I don't get any sub menu it just boot again, takes a while with a white H logo and now my satnav won't launch, any ideas?
post #88 of 94 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 12:07

Ok sorry it is loading just took ages to load up but the button combo does nothing, just some kind of soft reset
post #89 of 94 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 13:03

Got there in the end, you have to press the buttons in a different order to what is stated in that post.

If anyone's interested, my car is a 2015, serviced every year at a Honda main dealer by the previous owner and the Connect unit has never been updated.

Luckily I've managed to get it booked in at a dealer who offered to do the RC8 update for a very sensible price, just got to wait 2 weeks and hope it doesn't get bricked. Thanks for the info.

Now I need to find a replacement phone with MirrorLink, any suggestions on an Android phone that works with RC8 appreciated, especially if it can display Android Auto on the car screen
post #90 of 94 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 14:39
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
Got there in the end, you have to press the buttons in a different order to what is stated in that post.

If anyone's interested, my car is a 2015, serviced every year at a Honda main dealer by the previous owner and the Connect unit has never been updated.

Luckily I've managed to get it booked in at a dealer who offered to do the RC8 update for a very sensible price, just got to wait 2 weeks and hope it doesn't get bricked. Thanks for the info.

Now I need to find a replacement phone with MirrorLink, any suggestions on an Android phone that works with RC8 appreciated, especially if it can display Android Auto on the car screen
Hey Buddy.

Why not update to RC8 yourself?
It is really very simple, 3x USB sticks and inserted into the USB port in the car in the correct order with the right file written to it that suits your headunit in the root of each memory card. It'll be a lot cheaper buying 3x USB sticks than the garage price and while worrying, is a complete non-event. I did mine twice now and did not have a problem, I kept the car running so as to avoid the radio going off while doing it. I've also rooted mine to allow me to install apps again now it's running RC8.
I am curious how much they are charging to do it though?

I am using a Samsung Note 9 and that works via Mirrorlink all ok, it's not the best system compared to Android Auto and is a little clunky, but it now works.
On the subject of Android Auto you will never have it sadly, unless you buy a 10G which comes standard with it. All 9G's will never recevie it as an update.
The other option is to replace the head unit with a 3rd party Android unit which does have Android Auto and Apple Car Play, which is a viable option if you're ok going that far.

Ian Contessa
post #91 of 94 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 18:55

It's not worth the hassle just going to let the dealer do it and get the maps updated while I'm at it that way it's fully up to date and I can fall back on the built in nav if my phone still doesn't work with it.

Is there a list of working android phones with RC8 anywhere?
post #92 of 94 (permalink) Old 26th September 2019, 18:33

Hello, greetings from Cyprus. I read the post and I found very interesting the fact that we can update the firmware of our head unit.
I own a UK made Honda 9G ( FK3 ). I tried the directions as described above and in the pdfs for updating to the RC8 version. When I am at the base menu and I plug the USB in order to start the update procedure there is a message telling me "cannot complete procedure". I will poSt a photo.
My question is how mandatory is the 16GB usb drive? I tried with a 4GB and a 32GB and I had the same result. Both drives were FAT32 formatted as NTFS is not supported.

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk
post #93 of 94 (permalink) Old 27th September 2019, 21:43

Alright I managed to perform the update inscribed above. My mistake was not RTFM properly. The first step (1st usb) wasn't necessary to perform as I was already at version 31.00cf.

Haltamer likes this.
post #94 of 94 (permalink) Old 9th October 2019, 22:06

So,
Coming back to the subject to Be or Not to Be, I decided not to change HU. Is there a way to check if my car has extra external amp or is it integrated in the HU? It will make a great deal to have pre-outs to feed a good amp and OEM speakers, not the factory ones...

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page