Rapid Boot warning followed by Check Engine - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Drutt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 8th October 2018, 08:15 Thread Starter

Unhappy Rapid Boot warning followed by Check Engine

Hi,

I recently bought an approved Honda and although its under warranty and it will go back for them to fix again. I thought it would be worth posting here in case someone else had the same issue and it may help diagnostics.

The fault is the boot open warning keeps popping up on the IMID even though the boot is shut. The first time it started happening it happened rapidly until the check engine light came on.
Went home noticed the battery was a bit flat charged it up when to work the next day fault persisted.
On the way home in addition to the boot warning popping on and off and the check engine, the power steering, tracktion control and TPS lights all came on.
Locked it up and later that night noticed the rear lights were really faintly lit and pressing the boot catch dimmed them.

Next day flat battery and AA to dealership. They cleared the codes, apparently the rear loom was loose and replaced the battery (with a non-EFB one)

Anyway the fault with the boot has returned 2 weeks later.....

I've seen issues with the boot and drivers door for the MK8 is it still a problem in the mk9? Where is the rear loom connected is this easy to check? I did take it back before for the battery showing low and stop start not working, I don't know if its just a low battery and its throwing these codes because it not charging properly?

The boot light is out when locked...

Any help appreciated I don't have time to keep taking it to the dealer, if they can't fix it next time I'll have to ask for my money back but I like the car

Cheers Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 8th October 2018, 12:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I've just borrowed a clamp meter from work looks like the alternator is drawing nearly an amp 0.93A from the battery when the engines turned off...looks like a faulty alternator...the battery being low has been a constant problem on the car.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 8th October 2018, 12:51
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Needs to go back under warranty

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th October 2018, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
I've just borrowed a clamp meter from work looks like the alternator is drawing nearly an amp 0.93A from the battery when the engines turned off...looks like a faulty alternator...the battery being low has been a constant problem on the car.

Well with HDS they can show graphs of the current that was drawn during OFF status of the vehicle. That includes the last 5 times you've turned off you car (including the number of OFF hours)

http://honda-civic-hatchback-mk9.blo...t-history.html
(sorry I'm still not allowed to post URL's)

Another something I've read was water ingress in the tailgate (wiring) causing errors that you've encounter

Last edited by Farqui; 10th October 2018 at 13:15. Reason: URL sorted
Thanks to The_Mechanic from:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th October 2018, 13:10
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
(with a non-EFB one)
What is that?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th October 2018, 12:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for this. It turns out I didn't know how to use the clamp meter so its probably not the alternator. If the dealer has looked at it then they probably are much better equipped than me. HDS sounds perfect for diagnosing charging and drain issues.

What you say about water in the tailgate causing problems makes sense. Night before last I washed the car with the hosepipe and made sure i ran lots of water over the tailgate. Later than night the alarm kept going off. Had to leave it unlocked in the end. It didn't throw the boot warning as driving until going home.

I've left the back seat down to see if the light was coming on but its always been off (maybe I should put my dashcam in there :P) oh dashcam is in cig socket so it turns off when you leave the car

The dealer has ordered a new rear loom (presume the tailgate loom) so hopefully this will fix it and it will be the end of it. Its a good car just don't want to have to keep sending it back
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th October 2018, 12:23 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

EFB is enhanced fooded battery. The mk9 has one for the start stop.
The battery that is in is a normal battery, looking at the ratings its a Mk8 2.2CDTI one. Looks new though....
Das likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 25th October 2018, 07:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

At the risk of declaring it fixed replacing the loom seems to have fixed it The rubber boot to the tailgate was not replaced so I guess they feed it through.

Dealer service was good and I believed him say they had only 1 other with the same fault of selling the mk9 civic. Might be something that becomes more common with age? don't know but hopefully this will help someone out with the same issue!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st November 2018, 01:27
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mechanic View Post
Well with HDS they can show graphs of the current that was drawn during OFF status of the vehicle. That includes the last 5 times you've turned off you car (including the number of OFF hours)
New Honda Civic Hatchback Mk9 2013: HDS Consumption Current History
(sorry I'm still not allowed to post URL's)
That's very interesting; Out of intrest, where did you get your HDS? Is it a genuine Honda item, or are you using one of the Ebay specials?

Edit: Browsed the blog! I've gone and ordered myself one.

Last edited by Haltamer; 1st November 2018 at 01:35.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st November 2018, 05:36
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Loose wiring loom, water in the boot.

Has it been rear ended and not properly repaired ?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 14th April 2019, 08:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car has been fine since the loom was replaced 6 months ago. No water leaks visible in the boot or anywhere. No signs of any previous damage....
Honda did go straight for the loom as the cause though. Wish I did know where it gets in. Thinking about it there is a slight scruff on the top of the centre break light where I think the boots been opened in a garage.. maybe that seal was broken.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Tags
boot battery engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in