post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 31st January 2019, 13:01 Thread Starter
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Android Auto On Android 4.1+

Hey All.

Just came acrss this and thought it was worth sharing to start a conversation
Currently running this Android Auto on a tablet from my Note9

https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...droid-t3432348

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gb.xxy.hr

If only we had Android 4.1+ on our 9G head units, this may work.

Ian Contessa

Last edited by coolice; 31st January 2019 at 13:24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 31st January 2019, 18:12

Car: 2016 CR-V EX 1.6 i-dtec auto
Good find. Great pity that we are stuck with 4.0.4 at the moment and according to Honda CS there is no upgrade in the pipeline.
Thanks to hatter from:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 31st January 2019, 23:34
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
And why would there be if 404 does what the system was designed for?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st February 2019, 09:20

Car: 2016 CR-V EX 1.6 i-dtec auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
Doubt you can say it does what it was designed for.
We are now on RC8 update to try to cure faults and it still has problems.
But .....
As a radio, works ok.
Plays music ok.
Displays driving info ok.
Bluetooth/hft works for some, phone dependent.
Wifi works ok but even Honda garage told me don't use wifi and Bluetooth at the same time as it can crash unit and stop hft working.
Garmin been improved for some but latest maps have caused issues. Garmin released 2019.0 back in July 2018 (notification on Garmin Express) but Honda didn't release to public until December 2018 and even then was initially faulty and out of date maps.

New vehicles are now 4.2.2 (still old o/s) and a different manufacturer.
Suppose, on 4.0.4 unit, if you only want to listen to the radio or play music then it's fine, and this is the market Honda have probably aimed at.
Thanks to hatter from:
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st February 2019, 11:38
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Does Android 4.2.2 actually address any of the problems that you have listed above?
Garmin maps are not really anything to do with Android, and it was Honda that screwed up the update , not Android.

But I suppose if you say that 4.2.2 is the 'magic bullet' to fix all the Honda woes, then it's a pity we are still running 4.0.4. However, I feel certain that if it did, then Honda would have updated.

Are you sure that it is Android that is causing the problem or the systems that Honda have 'hung off' it? Hence RC8
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st February 2019, 11:52 Thread Starter
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post

Hey Buddy.

I kinda see your point, it does work as a basic radio, DAB, CD, USB, BT etc headunit.
But anyone who's played with a 9G radio knows it had/has some serious problems Honda should have addressed early on. The better version Android was there that removed some of the problems inherent in 4.0.4, the latter an already old platform when the 9th Gen was released, so not the best move. But I am sure it was cheap, as you say did what they wanted it to, but without taking into account the potential future trends with phones and cars.

Regardless of the Android version, Mirrorlink for me has only just started to work with the Note 9 I have now and RC8. Before this the car was sold as being Mirrolink compatable and then it emerged only a select few phones, running older Marshmellow(?) 5.1 Android from memory, would work with it.
So the reality is Honda made a false statements here and marketed their cars radio features that weren't true and hence not fit for purpose.
Ok, I didn't buy my car because it had Mirrorlink, but it was a feature that was supposed to work and didn't.

On the subject of 4.2.2, it must help as the newer 10G uses it from what I have read and thus is much more supported as an operating system. If it wasn't then why would Honda not implement it in their newer car.
The reason they have done this is to allow Android Auto to run, as it won't work on 4.0.4 and is the new standard compared to Mirrolink.

Of course Honda would not update their 9G radios even before the 10G was released for sale, as that wouldn't make much business sense to give buyers a better product as they wouldn't then need to upgrade.
So your line about Honda would have done it if they felt they it would help is dismissed, as it wouldn't make the 10G so appealing an upgrade for many.

Bottom line is, unless you've experienced the 9G woes you have no idea. When you're bored and want to read some stories, XDA forums; https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...droid-t3179549 is a good read

Ian Contessa
M8TJT likes this.

Last edited by coolice; 1st February 2019 at 11:56.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st February 2019, 11:55 Thread Starter
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatter View Post
Doubt you can say it does what it was designed for.
We are now on RC8 update to try to cure faults and it still has problems.
But .....
As a radio, works ok.
Plays music ok.
Displays driving info ok.
Bluetooth/hft works for some, phone dependent.
Wifi works ok but even Honda garage told me don't use wifi and Bluetooth at the same time as it can crash unit and stop hft working.
Garmin been improved for some but latest maps have caused issues. Garmin released 2019.0 back in July 2018 (notification on Garmin Express) but Honda didn't release to public until December 2018 and even then was initially faulty and out of date maps.

New vehicles are now 4.2.2 (still old o/s) and a different manufacturer.
Suppose, on 4.0.4 unit, if you only want to listen to the radio or play music then it's fine, and this is the market Honda have probably aimed at.

Hey Buddy.

In a nut shell this is well put. It works, but is limited by the system it has and inherant problems it's kept.

I'm sure the right people could get 4.2.2 working on this hardware, but the time and resources needed would not be free.

Ian Contessa
hatter likes this.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page