Electrics Atypical "immobilizer after dead battery" situation - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 00:50 Thread Starter

Atypical "immobilizer after dead battery" situation

Howdy. I lost one (let's call it Key A) of the two original keys (let's call them A & B) to my 2014 Civic while out of town. Had a new key coded (key C), found key A, tested all 3 keys and they all worked fine. Clearly all coded the same, or the Civic can store multiple codes.

I drove on key A for a while, no problems. Then my battery died. After installing a new battery, keys A&B trip the immobilizer (and the green light comes on indicating as much ... although green for the "we're killing your car" warning seems odd as a UI choice). Only the new key (C) works, although the dealer seemed to imply that key C and B would be compatible ("do you need a new backup key, or do you have one of those already?").

Dealer wants me to bring all 3 keys by, but it's far from home, and no promise it won't cost me big bank to fix ("the key we made for you works just fine, where's your complaint?"). Any other suggestions for re-pairing the original keys? Is it expected that coding a new key should change the car's coding in any way?

Note: no keys were in the ignition when the battery was replaced. The same key was used the day before and after the battery was swapped out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 04:10
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
I haven't got an answer but a very good post. That shouldn't happen if all 3 keys used to work.

Keep us updated.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 13th August 2019, 02:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

They "fixed" the other two keys without comment or charge. The face the guy made told me they screwed up but he wasn't allowed to say as much as part of his job description. I should have pulled the battery while I was at the dealer to make sure these keys would survive another hard reset, but next time I'll simply burn down the dealership ; )

Frustrated that the dealers are the only ones who can be "trusted" with key coders, but aren't generally trustworthy in any sense of the word.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page