• 1 Post By deed
  • 2 Post By rob.e
  • 3 Post By rob.e

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 18th June 2019, 21:34 Thread Starter

Car: 1.6 I-DTEC SR
Time for an upgrade - Head Unit with Google

Hi Folks,

I do plan to do a few upgrades to my Civic 64 Reg Diesel with the 'premium stereo' with awful satnav , such as replacing the door speakers and some soundproofing (its the only major downside of this car for me) - there are some great guides here to help with this....

But this is about replacing the aged and not very hi-tech 2 Din existing head unit, the SatNav is painful and not up to date

Just been travelling around Ireland for a week using my Pixel phone as a Satnav and the superb Google maps, it was great (but small screen!) but a real eye opener.... Made me realise that I really need to upgrade the head unit in my beloved Civic to the same functions

Any hints on what head unit to fit? and ideally where to get it fitted in the Midlands?

I have looked at both cheap imported head units and wiring kits and also some pretty expensive Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony etc. head units and I think I want to head upmarket as long as it all works! ie. the steering controls etc.

I have come to the conclusion that I may well need someone to fit it for me, as I have never even taken a door cover off!

Any advice more than welcome and thanks in advance

Cheers!
He_Who_Is_T likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 19th June 2019, 08:16

Car: 2013 Civic 2.2 i-Dtec
Garage
I've been looking into doing the same. I'm in the north east and in my area no one fits aftermarket stereos except halfords and they said that I'd lose all the steering wheel controls which isn't an option.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th June 2019, 20:42

your google maps may not work in no data area and guess what? you can be stack. try some obscure Cumbria areas... instead of wrecking your Honda - just buy TomTom with the lifetime maps and speed camera updates! some of them come with 3G sim card embedded without need even to connect to your smart phone. updates - free and regular. No mess with the original Honda electrics!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2019, 11:43

Car: 2012 2.2 Sport Business Mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borland View Post
your google maps may not work in no data area and guess what? you can be stack. try some obscure Cumbria areas... instead of wrecking your Honda - just buy TomTom with the lifetime maps and speed camera updates! some of them come with 3G sim card embedded without need even to connect to your smart phone. updates - free and regular. No mess with the original Honda electrics!
You can use a Connects2 (or whatever brand you prefer) to connect any doubledin you like. If you want heremaps or google you can use a unit which mirrors your phone. For example I looked at a Pioneer Avic F77dab which can do this, but there are enough units which can.

If you use a connects2unit you will NOT use your steeringwheel controlls. There are some things you lose. You can not adjust the clock on the I-mid anymore (but time is shown on your new unit) and the phonecontrols on the steeringwheel don't work anymore. Most likely you have to replace your rearviewcamera bacause it works on a different voltage then e.g. a Pioneer.
Good luck
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 7th August 2019, 22:35

Car: 2015 Civic TR
Quote:
Originally Posted by deed View Post
Hi Folks,

I do plan to do a few upgrades to my Civic 64 Reg Diesel with the 'premium stereo' with awful satnav , such as replacing the door speakers and some soundproofing (its the only major downside of this car for me) - there are some great guides here to help with this....

But this is about replacing the aged and not very hi-tech 2 Din existing head unit, the SatNav is painful and not up to date

Just been travelling around Ireland for a week using my Pixel phone as a Satnav and the superb Google maps, it was great (but small screen!) but a real eye opener.... Made me realise that I really need to upgrade the head unit in my beloved Civic to the same functions

Any hints on what head unit to fit? and ideally where to get it fitted in the Midlands?

I have looked at both cheap imported head units and wiring kits and also some pretty expensive Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony etc. head units and I think I want to head upmarket as long as it all works! ie. the steering controls etc.

I have come to the conclusion that I may well need someone to fit it for me, as I have never even taken a door cover off!

Any advice more than welcome and thanks in advance

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by motil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borland View Post
You can use a Connects2 (or whatever brand you prefer) to connect any doubledin you like. If you want heremaps or google you can use a unit which mirrors your phone. For example I looked at a Pioneer Avic F77dab which can do this, but there are enough units which can.

If you use a connects2unit you will NOT use your steeringwheel controlls. There are some things you lose. You can not adjust the clock on the I-mid anymore (but time is shown on your new unit) and the phonecontrols on the steeringwheel don't work anymore. Most likely you have to replace your rearviewcamera bacause it works on a different voltage then e.g. a Pioneer.
Good luck
Hello,

I had the stereo-only unit, so didn't had to give up the Honda gps. I bought a unit on Ali. There are many units available. Simple 2-din, where you will need cables tot connect it to Honda wires or full replacements where there is an Honda can-bus etc included.

Mine is not available anymore but a quick search gave me this result:

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/item/328...ceBeautifyAB=0

My tips:
-go for a px5 or px6. There is a community that makes ROMs even better (check xda). Al the px5 models are the same manufacturer but different sellers (brand-sticker)
- if you have an amp (all diesels seem to have one) tell it to the seller, you need different wording.

- assembling was not very difficult, to my opinion.

Good luck
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th August 2019, 08:34
Supporter

Car: 2015 Civic Tourer D-TEC SR
Garage
I'm also disappointed with the factory unit in mine but i just see a real risk in time/ money wasted potentially on an unknown brand, chinese origin replacement of unknown quality with no certainty it would work with factory controls. there's also a bunch of info you only get displayed on the unit (e.g. mpg history) would this work with aftermarket?

I'd need to be reassured that this all works before taking a punt personally.
Haltamer and deed like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th August 2019, 09:38
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
With Rob - As much as I'd love an updated headunit, I'd not want to sacrifice the OEM reversing camera and other tie-ins.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th August 2019, 13:41
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post
With Rob - As much as I'd love an updated headunit, I'd not want to sacrifice the OEM reversing camera and other tie-ins.
i think we need @deed to be our guinea pig
Haltamer, deed and He_Who_Is_T like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th August 2019, 16:04

Car: 2015 Civic TR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.e View Post
I'm also disappointed with the factory unit in mine but i just see a real risk in time/ money wasted potentially on an unknown brand, chinese origin replacement of unknown quality with no certainty it would work with factory controls. there's also a bunch of info you only get displayed on the unit (e.g. mpg history) would this work with aftermarket?

I'd need to be reassured that this all works before taking a punt personally.
Hi there. The steering wheel controls work perfectly over can-bus. If you don't want to use can-bus, you can wire the steering wheel controls manually.

I didn't had a reverse camera but now I have! You can install all normal cameras on these units.

Sound quality is fine (I am not a sound geek). I have one without dsp but nowedays you also have units with dsp that sound even better then mine.

Everything is plug and play but if you like tot do some tweaking on the unit and can work with Android you can go as crazy as you like with updating and installing ROMs etc.

About info at the i-mid screen, that stays the same.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 8th August 2019, 18:38

Car: 2013 Civic 2.2 i-Dtec
Garage
I'm another who's really interested in this. I've got standard 9G stereo but I've got reversing camera and I want all my controls to stay the same and not lose any of the features.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th August 2019, 08:38
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post

About info at the i-mid screen, that stays the same.
Ok, so i-mid stays the same, but what about the car info that is displayed only on the head unit, e.g. history of mpg? Is that retained or lost?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12th August 2019, 11:09
Supporter

Garage
Also, IIRC the mk9 has active noise cancellation with the factory head unit, ie it uses a microphone and creates a reverse wave audio signal to reduce noise.

Expect that would be lost also with aftermarket?

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page