Battery Battery Drain on 2.2CDTI is it Air con relay? - Civinfo
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jon_G
  • 1 Post By rborhara2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2019, 09:20 Thread Starter

Battery Drain on 2.2CDTI is it Air con relay?

Hi i seem to have an recent issue with battery drain and just wondering what peoples thoughts are

1st week in July coming back after my hols abroad my car started and worked well on the saturday but failed to start after 2 days (flat battery) - called out Breakdown

Same day I also noticed that the coming to home lights mod wasn't working correctly the fog lights just stayed on when locking car and probably was the cause of the battery drain so i disconnected this

This seem to work fine for a week or so then i replaced a 7.5A fuse in the bonnet for the interior light as i think i may have knocked the Interior footwell kit mod wiring and caused a short circuit when troubleshooting the initial battery drain problem

For a good few days car worked well until this weekend, Sunday evening it didnt start first time ,as if the battery was not full capacity (i did drive the car around on saturday)
Anyway after charging the battery monday morning , removing the ricks footwell lighting mod too, i took the car to kwik fit who produced a receipt saying nothing wrong with battery but maybe a slight battery drain when its off.

This morning again car struggled but i got it going and got to work and im doing a cheeky internet surf to get it sorted.

So with the Coming Home lights mod removed, Footwell kit removed, i have also removed the 7.5a fuse for the interior dimming lights, im now reading that it could be the OMRON air con relay
I did replace the OEM air con relay with this omron one approx 2 months maybe a little longer ago when i was troubleshooting air cons problems,
So currently air con works fine but could this be the cause of the drain
At 35 including next day im happy to try this whats everyones thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2019, 15:39
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
Even at 35 (which is about 10x the real value of an equivalent relay!) I'd still want to prove it was needed. I know it's really hot at the moment but can't you simply pull the relay out for a couple of days to see if the problem disappears? And if that relay IS sticking closed and continually running the a/c clutch, then the area around the a/c clutch will feel warm even after the engine has cooled down.

If you've got a standard Honda hands free telephone adaptor then that would be my first suspicion for battery drain.
scaramanga and Farqui like this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2019, 22:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

removed the HFT and the aircon relay too , the start is still delayed like the batteries drained,

one thing i do notice is i have the bog folding window mod, and when the batteries low it does unfold the mirrors until the engine starts, unfortunately unless there is a fuse for this i cant disconnect or reverse mod this.

Booked it with a mechanic to look at tomorrow and now im just guessing if its the battery or glow plugs etc... as im running out of ideas

Update: Mechanic looked at the battery and thinks its that, then tested it with a electronic tool as i cranked the engine and reaffirms its the battery
Battery duly purchased and fingers crossed i should know soon
Jon_G likes this.

Last edited by rborhara2; 24th July 2019 at 14:31.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in