Honda Connect Issues - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hatter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 25th August 2019, 07:56 Thread Starter

Car: Civic 1.8 ES
Honda Connect Issues

Hi,

I just picked up a 2015 Tourer and I was really hoping I would be able to mirror android auto on the Connect screen, I appreciate there are many topics on this but I don't know where I'm going wrong so hoping someone might have the same scenario as me as ive spent hours trying to get it to work with no joy.

My phone is a Nokia 6 which has vanilla Android 9 installed

It's paired via Bluetooth and connected via USB with at least 6 different cables all with the same result, when connected via USB the Connect shows the USB symbol but does not show the arrows for the additional screen so it doesn't respond.

On the phone I get the USB options, file transfer, ptp, midi, etc but none of them work, not sure which is the correct option but tried them all

My phone does not have any options for mirror link that I can see, just cast which remains disabled as no compatible device found

I really need this to work, the built in nav is awful compared to Google maps and way out of date for my area, it's also very expensive to update at a dealer

Anyone had similar issues and managed to resolve it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th August 2019, 09:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

No replies 😞

Spent even more time trying to figure this out, nothing works Inc enabling USB debugging on my phone

Only thing I can think of now is to get it updated but I don't even know if it needs updating, it's version 01.083.00.1123

There is no indication of an RC number in there and looking at the procedure it looks really over complicated with the risk of bricking the unit so not sure it's worth the risk as it still might not work after being updated
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th August 2019, 11:47

Car: 2016 Civic Tourer auto
Hi. Silly question but does the Nokia 6 support Mirrorlink 1.1? If not I think you may not succeed.

I was going to check it for you but the Mirrorlink site isn't available at present.

Perhaps you could try adding a Mirrorlink app such as Car Mode. If you try loading it I think it will tell you if your device is compatible.

Alternatively if it's a sat nav you're after there are various threads about side loading one on.

Regards

Charles

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th August 2019, 14:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the info. I'm honestly not sure I've looked but can't find anything confirming it.

What does that app do just add mirror link functionality to a phone that doesn't have it?

I read android auto has mirror link built in so didn't read into it any further
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th August 2019, 16:32 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

More time wasted trying to get it working, I'm on the verge of throwing the towel in which is really annoying I need android auto to work

Is mirror link required for Android auto to work? So if my phone doesn't have it it simply won't work?

Everything I read is conflicting, there is no mention of mirror link on a lot of stuff I've read regarding android auto so it's hard to understand if I need it or not
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th August 2019, 16:40

Hi. The phone settings usually have Mirrorlink in there. As I understand it you can't just add the functionality to any phone it's put there by the manufacturer.

Regards Android Auto it just doesn't work on Android 4.0.4 which is the version put on the head unit by Honda. Having said that they did so on the 10g which runs a later Android version.

Mine is also a 2015 Tourer but without Nav so I do run the CMDroid apps which I added through the "back door". Although now having problems getting them back on. Have now got a Samsung S7 edge from fleabay which has Mirrorlink and didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I prefer to have unlocked phones rather than pay through the nose contract!

Cheers
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th August 2019, 19:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Ok thanks for the info. I definitely don't have anything regarding mirror link on my phone so it looks like I would need to change my phone and I'm not doing that so looks like I'm stuck with the built in nav and out of date maps
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 28th August 2019, 20:56

Car: 2016 CR-V EX 1.6 i-dtec auto
Android Auto won't work anyway. The only nav app that will work under mirrorlink is Sygic Car Navigation. It's expensive. You're better off using Waze on the phone in a holder.
However, if you look on the mirrorlink website it lists compatible phones and apps that work (not many). As mentioned dont believe Nokia have the mirrorlink software.

I used to have a few apps installed by using Mike's Permissions but it got a little unstable being sooooo old an Android version.
In the end just use the awful Garmin, and it is poor, with out of date maps and the search and routing is terrible, dab radio that has a mind of its own and hft which again has a mind of its own regarding connecting and importing the phone book.

All in all a useless system which Honda have seemingly abandoned.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 08:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

It seems to be the case doesn't it, promised so much, delivered so little.

I'm gutted to be honest, probably going to end up with a phone holder and Android Auto running off my phone again and the Connect system will just sit dormant.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 10:21

Yes a system that could have been excellent but in the end isn't.
Just as an aside, have you installed the speed cameras on yours? They do work well with the Garmin. So something positive!
We tend to have the maps on to see where we are. Get great enjoyment from seeing where the Garmin thinks we are and actually where we are!
Routing is terrible. Been routed off the motorway, up the slip road, round the roundabout and back down the joining slip road to rejoin the motorway! This has also happened in towns where it detoured us through an estate only to rejoin the main road about half a mile further on. No problems on main road. Perfectly clear.
The search gets us as well. In Worcestershire earlier this year. Did a search for a local place and it returned with places in Hull! Unbelievable.
Traffic is also terrible. Was stuck in a jam for 45 mins, just crawling along, and the Garmin had no traffic problems in the area! Would have gone a different route if known.
Hey ho the fun of modern motoring technology, especially in a Honda!
Take care
Peter
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 11:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

That sounds really bad, no I havent installed anything. Its getting updated to RC8 and 2019 maps at the dealer in a couple weeks.

Has your's been updated? If I have issues like you describe after its updated I'll just buy a phone mount and resort to my phone, in fact I'm considering cancelling the booking and saving my money and just getting a phone mount because that sounds really bad
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 15:55

Just a quick note. If you are thinking of sideloading apps via Mike's Permissions etc make sure that neither you nor the dealer carry out a factory reset after putting the RC8 update on or you will lose the ability to so.

Regards. Charles
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 29th August 2019, 22:35

Honda Connect Issues

It is worth getting RC8 as it adds stability to the system and sorts some problems out. It doesn't do anything to the Garmin.

Also put the maps on as it can't do any harm. I know they'll still be out of date for certain areas.
The new 2020 maps are due to be released around December.

As Charles said, if you are going to put some apps on then ask them not to do a factory reset after updating to RC8, but if you're not bothered then have the factory reset.

Also the RC update should be free. Just tell the dealer you keep losing the Bluetooth connection and they'll update it for you.

If they want to charge for the maps then do them yourself as it's easy and you can add the speed cameras at the same time.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
M8TJT likes this.

Last edited by hatter; 29th August 2019 at 22:45.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd September 2019, 16:43

Car: Civic Tourer 1.6DTEC
I don't really get the hate for the Garmin nav, it seems to work pretty well for me. OK, the latest map (2019.0) isn't that up to date but its OK for 99% of roads.

Also my DAB radio works flawlessly where I live (SE England) so perhaps it's fine where there's a strong signal

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page