• 1 Post By alidaf
  • 1 Post By iAndyF
  • 1 Post By Bob H
  • 1 Post By elegance
  • 1 Post By CivicCliff
  • 2 Post By Kremmen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th May 2012, 11:15 Thread Starter

Thumbs down Does anybody else feel really let down by the 'Premium Audio System'?

EX GT bought over the ES because of the supposedly better audio system, but I am decidedly unimpressed. Is anyone else let down by the implicit promise of a 'premium' audio system?

Some of my gripes...

The system is based on MS CE so that immediately ties down the formats that can be played. MP3 is not a true standalone audio format (it was taken from the dvd specification after someone mistakenly published the details of the codec). AAC on the other hand is, but I can't get any AAC files to play on it and I've transcoded using different software and operating systems. The WMA format is pretty much useless - its purely a legacy of the OS.
There is no control over the quality of the files ripped to the HDD and it isn't even entirely clear which format is being used.
No gapless playback. MP3 files do not support gapless playback (workarounds are usually coded), but AAC files should.
Out of date Gracenote database (Q3 2011) and no means of updating it. Alpine offer downloadable updates for some of the American cars but not European. The Gracenote website hails the licensing deal with Honda saying users will be able to update using their mobile phone connections. No such thing!
Bugs in writing tags. The artist tag is never written correctly.
Playing files from a usb stick plays them in node order and not file order!
Inability to copy ripped tracks from USB (or CD/DVD for that matter) to HDD. The only way to get music on the HDD is to use the disc. All my music is in FLAC format on a server so it is easy to transcode to other formats but this isn't an option.
No album art.
Audio settings are limited to bass and treble.
There are other systems in much cheaper cars out there that offer so much more so it doesn't feel particularly 'premium' to me..
I really don't think anyone in Honda has appraised the system. I think they just threw a load of money at Alpine and said 'make us a premium audio system' and Alpine have done the absolute minimum. Amstrad could have done better.

Phew, rant over I think.
belknap likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th May 2012, 11:20
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
really.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th May 2012, 12:54
Supporter

Wow. That's horrible.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th May 2012, 15:28

Definitely. And if you think ALL that the "premium" audio system is doing can be done (better) with a cheap Android device, it really puts shame on the issue. The new Civic could have been sold with a new tablet kind of central Cpu, securely locked or detachable, and could have add apps for every function of the car. Come on, even the hdd option is prehistoric with all those ssd around.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th May 2012, 15:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yes, and the irony is that the ES +Nav system is SSD!
I imagine most of the cost has gone on licensing (Microsoft, Gracenote, Navteq) rather than development. Why they couldn't choose Linux or Android is beyond me. What is especially galling is the fact that the Gracenote database started off life as a community effort called CDDB. Unfortunately the developer chose not to protect it with a public license and it was bought out, effectively disenfranchising the thousands of people that had supplied metadata. It is now ring fenced and only really supplied with new information by iTunes users. You should read the requirements put upon the Gracenote licensee - every time the database is accessed, an icon of a certain size and accompanying text glorifying the wonderment that is Gracenote has to be displayed for x number of seconds.
I heard from the dealer today and it appears that the only way to get Gracenote updates is via the yearly map update, i.e. £175. Well done Alpine for basing the system on an outdated OS and forcing us to subscribe to blatant thievery, and well done Honda for not really understanding what the definition of premium is.
belknap likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th May 2012, 23:22
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alidaf View Post
EX GT bought over the ES because of the supposedly better audio system, but I am decidedly unimpressed. Is anyone else let down by the implicit promise of a 'premium' audio system?
No
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 6th May 2012, 13:23

Car: 2012 i-DTEC EX GT
Quote:

Firstly, there must have been other reasons to go for the EX GT over the ES, if you only wanted the Premium Audio System why not opt for the EX?

I don’t feel let down, personally I think the sound quality is pretty good. However, with a ‘Premium Audio System’ label, I do agree that there could be more features/better functionality.

Having the ability to copy to the HDD from USB, CD or DVD would be useful, having the album artwork displayed on the iMid would have been a nice touch and DAB Radio would have been a bonus. Is there really a need to control the quality of the tracks ripped to the HDD and why would you need to know the format being used?

I think what needs to be taken into consideration is that the price difference between the ES-T and EX is £1585. For that, you get the Premium Audio with Subwoofer, Leather and the HDD feature on the Navigation System to store music. What do you expect for £1585? The leather would account for the vast majority of the price difference.

Quote:
Yes, and the irony is that the ES +Nav system is SSD!

The SD Navigation System on the SE-T and ES-T has a SD card slot, but that’s only for map storage, the audio source options are FM/AM, CD, USB/iPod, Bluetooth Audio and Aux. However, the SD Navigation System does have a 5 band graphic equaliser with 6 fixed presets and 6 customised presets which the HDD Navigation System does not.
belknap likes this.

Last edited by iAndyF; 6th May 2012 at 13:27.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 6th May 2012, 14:28
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAndyF View Post

Having the ability to copy to the HDD from USB, CD or DVD would be useful,
You can record to HDD from CD's...
belknap likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 6th May 2012, 21:16

Car: 2012 i-DTEC EX GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
You can record to HDD from CD's...
It’s no problem to rip music CD’s to the HDD Navigation System. Unfortunately, it’s quite a slow process. It just doesn’t appear to be possible to copy music files from USB, CD or DVD to the HDD Navigation System. When a CD or DVD containing music files is inserted, the music files play but the ‘Rec to HDD’ and ‘HDD Settings’ soft keys are missing from the ‘Audio Menu’.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th May 2012, 16:40

Car: 2012 2.2 i-dtec EX GT
Pretty good audio system in my opinion. Not had a problem playing any music format. Sound quality is good, better than in the 8th gen.

Steve
belknap likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 20th February 2017, 17:24

Car: 2017 civic sr 1.0 ltr
Garage
Send a message via AIM to belknap
dead right much better than 8th civic
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 21st February 2017, 02:00
Supporter

Car: 2017 EX 1.0 Manual
Garage
I've been very happy with the premium audio system in my EX and find the sound quality to be very good. I play nearly all my music via my iPhone connected to USB. I have a few CDs ripped onto the HDD too.

You can update the Gracenote DB for free, see this thread:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electro...te-update.html
Bog likes this.

Last edited by CivicCliff; 21st February 2017 at 02:03.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 21st February 2017, 06:00
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
I'm not one of those who goes round the neighbourhood waking everyone up with very loud thumping music.

I think the max I've ever used is level 12, 8 with passengers.

As a result the audio system is fine. It was fine in my 8G's as well though.
Bog and Rikki1984 like this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 6th April 2017, 00:28

Kremmen,

I have just got a second hand an EX GT and although better than some cars I have had, I certainly feel it could have provided more detailed sound. I have started changing some of the speakers, but am already surprised at how much more complex than i imagined the job seems to be!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 6th April 2017, 07:36
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Indoors, with little interference, I can understand paying for better equipment. But in a car you have so many sources of interference like road and wind noise I personally don't see the point.

I'm perfectly happy with my 9G audio.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 6th April 2017, 08:31
Supporter

Car: '17 CRV 1.6 AT Sensing Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveMyCar View Post
I have started changing some of the speakers, but am already surprised at how much more complex than i imagined the job seems to be!
What do you mean, mate?
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 6th April 2017, 11:53

Bacu,

I am keen on leaving little trace of changes. Getting to the amp in an EX GT has been really quite awkward. I am happy soldering and joining wires, a bit doing so upside down is not my favourite! Finding adapters that will allow me to plug into one of the mini amps (JL 280/4) is not easy, but i think I have managed some.
Last night I took to getting the original sub out. had to take apart the rear quarter of the car trim-wise to get at the thing, just to measure its dimensions.

While I really like my new car, when comparing to some of the other makes I have had, it seems almost as though Honda make an effort to make it more difficult to do aftermarket changes!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 6th April 2017, 14:39

Car: 2012 EX 1.8 i-VTEC Manual
I don't know about the EX GT, but the 2012 EX system seems to work fine for me. I agree with Kremmen above, it's the road/wind noise which has the biggest effect on the quality of what you hear.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Tags
ice premium audio gt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page