Voice Tags - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 21st May 2012, 00:44 Thread Starter

Car: 2012 i-DTEC EX GT
Voice Tags

Does anybody use the Telephone Voice Tags on the HDD Navigation System (Manual Page 164) fitted to the EX & EX GT models?

After setting up Voice Tags, everything initially appears to be ok, but after a short time all the Voice Tags disappear. Ive carried out some testing and the Voice Tags appear to remain in the system when voice dialling and navigation guidance are used in isolation. However the Voice Tags are erased when voice dialling and navigation guidance are used simultaneously. I reported the problem to the dealer and they fitted the HFT Module and HDD Navigation Head Unit from their demonstrator to my car. Unfortunately, this didnt rectify the fault. Honda has suggested that it is an iPhone software issue and will require an IOS update. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 21st May 2012, 07:30
Supporter

I use them and all seems fine on my car... HTC Desire...
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 20th July 2012, 20:51

I have the same issue but I hadn't related the sat nav route to the issue. Booked into the garage next week

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 20th July 2012, 22:47
Supporter

Car: 2012 2.2 EX GT Crystal Black
Haven't got as far as that page yet..
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th September 2012, 22:13

Car: 2012 Civic EX GT 1.8, Silver
Send a message via Yahoo to cavanburchell@yahoo.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAndyF View Post
Does anybody use the Telephone Voice Tags on the HDD Navigation System (Manual Page 164) fitted to the EX & EX GT models?

After setting up Voice Tags, everything initially appears to be ok, but after a short time all the Voice Tags disappear. Ive carried out some testing and the Voice Tags appear to remain in the system when voice dialling and navigation guidance are used in isolation. However the Voice Tags are erased when voice dialling and navigation guidance are used simultaneously. I reported the problem to the dealer and they fitted the HFT Module and HDD Navigation Head Unit from their demonstrator to my car. Unfortunately, this didnt rectify the fault. Honda has suggested that it is an iPhone software issue and will require an IOS update. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Hi iAndyF,

I have exactly the same problem. Reported to Honda UK Customer Services. They have (reluctantly, because nobody else has reported the problem) raised the problem with their "Master Technicians". They say they will get back to me when/if they have any news.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th September 2012, 22:54
Supporter

Would you have unpaired you phone at any stage?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 15th September 2012, 21:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi iAndyF,

I have exactly the same problem. Reported to Honda UK Customer Services. They have (reluctantly, because nobody else has reported the problem) raised the problem with their "Master Technicians". They say they will get back to me when/if they have any news.
I took my Civic to the dealer on 16 April for this fault to be investigated. The dealer contacted Honda Technical Services for advice and they recommended a HFT Control Unit change. On 17 May Honda Technical Services suggested that the problem was an iPhone software issue, but since then Apple has not released a software update. Hopefully the new iPhone software (IOS 6) will resolve this fault, but we will have to wait until 19 September to see what happens.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2012, 00:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Unfortunately iOS 6 didn’t resolve the issue of the disappearing Telephone Voice Tags on the HDD Navigation System. Looks like I will have to contact the dealer and ask for the problem to be investigated further.
Thanks to iAndyF from:
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2012, 16:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The dealer has looked at the Voice Tag issue with advice from Honda. Having carried out a full diagnostic check on the Nav and HFT system they have been unable to find any faults. This problem is unlikely to be resolved as I am the only customer who has reported this particular fault to a Honda dealership. They have however asked me to keep an occurrence log to assist with fault diagnosis.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 19th October 2012, 21:43

I am still losing all voice tags. Been going on for 5 months. Tags disappear on average once per month. Keep sending info to Honda UK; no solution yet. Doesn't seem to matter what's in use: SatNav, HFT, either, both. Tags vanish whatever. Can't believe that there are not more owners with this problem (or has Honda only sold 2 cars ? !!!).
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 20th October 2012, 00:34

Car: 2012 2.2 EX
I have had the voice tag issue since day 2 of purchase back in March. The problem is voice tags disappear after about 6 or 7 engine starts. The problem happens on four different phones that I have access to (blackberry,samsung,sony ericsson and HTC). The car (2.2EX) has been back to the dealer on about 7 occasions. The first few times they agreed there was a fault but could not fix. The last time they had the car for a week and finally replaced the nav unit. I had a loan car for the week and my blackberry was used. The voice tags held all week. when I got my car back, the voice tags failed after 2 days. Reported back to dealer who contacted Honda again. Honda latest response is that my phone is faulty. pointed out that all 4 phones can't have the same fault and my blackberry was fine in the loan car. Feel like I am wasting my time. If anybody gets a solution to this please let us know. All phones have latest operating firmware.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 21st October 2012, 00:44
Supporter

Guys.
Would someone be good enough to explain exactly what these are in plain terms? I have heard of them but certainly not used them.
Thanks
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 21st October 2012, 16:04

The new civic has a clever feature that imports the phone list from your mobile phone when the mobile connects to the car. It is also possible to set up 2 speed dial lists, speed dial 1 and speed dial 2. The numbers in the speed dial lists can be taken from the imported phone numbers or manually input. The speed dial lists are particular to the phone connected so if you have 2 mobiles that you will use with the car, the phonebook and speed dial list will reflect the information connected with the phone that connects. In answer to the question on voice tags....the speed dial lists can be assigned voice tags (voice activated calling) so rather than having to go through the menus to activate the phone, select the speed dial, look at the numbers on the screen, select the number and finally say dial, you simply say "call office" and the system calls the office. To set up the voice tags (page 164 of navigation manual gives more detail) you go to the speed dial list, selcect the number and press edit entry. You then have the option to record a voice tag which is assigned to that number. 16 numbers can be assigned voice tags although I only use about 8. The problem that happens is that this voice tag information is lost after a short time even though the speed dial numbers remain in the list. The voice tags then have to be set up once again. This became tedious after a few weeks so I no longer use them. I have noticed that if 2 phones are used, the loss of the voice tags from one phone does not cause the loss of the voice tags for the other. It seems that when the phone connects to the system and the phone book downloaded, the voice tag information is being overwritten or corrupted. On my previous 8th gen 2.2 EX, the voice tags and numbers had to be both entered manually and this system worked without problem. hope this answers the question.

Last edited by ebmebod; 21st October 2012 at 16:08. Reason: typo spelling
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 21st October 2012, 18:28 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

For the past 3 weeks I’ve been keeping the occurrence log that the dealership requested. They didn’t ask me to record anything specific so I’ve been logging the dates when I’ve had to reset the voice tags, the number of ignition cycles, the number of calls made and if I’ve used navigation guidance. Every time I press the Engine Start/Stop button I go through the same procedure of pressing the OK (Soft Key), waiting for the ‘Notification The Phone Has Been Connected’ message, pressing TEL, selecting the Speed Dial 1 (Soft Key) and checking that the Voice Tag icons are present. Every time I find that the Voice Tags have disappeared I re-record them. The results so far are random and I think my original thought that the disappearance of the Voice Tags was in some way connected to the simultaneous use of voice dialling and navigation guidance was incorrect. The number of ignition cycles between the Voice Tags disappearing ranges from one to eleven and averages out at five. I’ve re-recorded the voice tags ten times in the past 3 weeks.

Without access to technical details of the HFT and Navigation Systems it’s difficult to diagnose the fault. However I believe that this is a HFT software issue that Honda needs to resolve. I don’t think it can be a phone fault or a phone software issue. My understanding is that the Voice Tags are stored in the HFT Module not the phone. The ES model has the Bluetooth HFT System fitted and has the Voice Tag function (Manual Page 242). It would be interesting to hear if any ES model owners have experienced problems with Voice Tags as this may help to eliminate the HDD Navigation System as being the cause of this problem.

The dealer told me that Honda was not aware of any other occurrences of this fault and that I was the only customer who had reported it to a dealership. They implied that the fault must be with my iPhone or the version of my iPhone software. From reading this thread it’s obvious that I’m not the only customer experiencing this problem and I’m not the only customer who has reported this fault to a dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysblack View Post
Guys.
Would someone be good enough to explain exactly what these are in plain terms? I have heard of them but certainly not used them.
Thanks
Exactly as described by ebmebod. The Voice Tags are attached to Speed Dial entries and allow you to dial (in TEL mode) by using the steering wheel mounted Talk Button and saying “Call … Name”. When it works it’s a great feature as it requires less button presses / voice commands than the standard Speed Dial method to make a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmebod View Post
I have noticed that if 2 phones are used, the loss of the voice tags from one phone does not cause the loss of the voice tags for the other.
That’s interesting. I still think the Voice Tags must be stored in the HFT Module, but have no idea why one set of Voice Tags would disappear and not both.

Last edited by iAndyF; 21st October 2012 at 18:31.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 21st October 2012, 22:20

Vanishing Voice Tags

This is getting interesting now that more have joined the debate.
It certainly seems to be a random fault with Honda's engineering.
My tags vanish about once a month and I too log what was happening, where I was going, what I was using etc. etc. and email all the info to Customer Relations at Honda ([email protected]). Like other owners, I was told that nobody else had reported this problem, with the inference that "it must be my fault". I was told to take it back to the dealer but refused to do so because all they would do was keep the car for a week or two and still not be able to replicate/trace/cure the intermittent fault. Laura Moutou has raised the problem with Honda's "Master Engineers" and said she would get back to me if/when a solution had been found. Despite losing voice tags about once a month since I bought the car on 28th May 2012, and sending detailed info to Honda, they seem to have stopped responding to me now. The latest loss of tags happened after 3 days without using any HFT or SatNav. I recorded them last Monday and they had disappeared last Thursday. No rhyme nor reason. I am using an Apple iPhone4 which, incidentally, worked perfectly with voice tags on my 3 previous 7th Generation Civics.
I have informed Laura Moutou that other owners are having the same problems and to look at the Civic Forums. It seems that apathy prevails. Still the car was only 27,000 !!! what else can you expect?

I hope all other owners will try the Voice tags and report to Laura Moutou to add weight to this problem and force Honda to act.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2012, 01:29
Supporter

I must admit, I have not actually set up any tags yet ( thanks for the explanation ). I will and see what problems, if any I get.
However, earlier to day for no reason, the unit would not accept the USB attached to my 'phone (I phone 4). Kept coming up with an error message!
Connected and played the songs no problem a few days ago, today different. Bluetooth ok. Pairing ok, HFT ok but no playing the songs direct via the lead. Strange.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2012, 01:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
The last time they had the car for a week and finally replaced the nav unit. I had a loan car for the week and my blackberry was used. The voice tags held all week.
Out of interest what model was your loan car?
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2012, 10:52

Hi iAndyF.
Loan car was 1.8 EX GT manual, but it had the same nav and audio system as mine. As posted, my nav system was replaced but what was curious was even though I had lost all music and settings due to have new HDD, when I turned the ignition on my phone connected straight away. I would have thought I would have gone through the pairing process again. This leads me to believe that some of the phone information is not stored in the nav unit.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2012, 19:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Loan car was 1.8 EX GT manual, but it had the same nav and audio system as mine. As posted, my nav system was replaced but what was curious was even though I had lost all music and settings due to have new HDD, when I turned the ignition on my phone connected straight away. I would have thought I would have gone through the pairing process again. This leads me to believe that some of the phone information is not stored in the nav unit.
An EX-GT loan car, very nice, I get a mid-range Jazz from my dealer. If your loan car had been an ES or Ti, the fact that the Voice Tags stayed in the system for a week may have been significant. Its difficult to tell without access to technical information but my understanding is that the HDD Navigation Unit is only used as a controller and display in TEL mode. I believe the phone pairing, Speed Dial entries and therefore the Voice Tags are all stored in the HFT Module, which would explain why you didnt have to go through the pairing process after the HDD Navigation Unit was replaced.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2012, 21:16

Vanishing Voice Tags

Laura from Honda UK Customer Relations phoned me today with an update.
Honda has sold several thousand 2012 EX and EX GT models in the UK but
there have only been 4 reports of this problem, 3 of which are from people within this forum.
Honda are "looking into it" both within Honda and with the manufacturers of the HFT/SatNav system.
Because it is not a "safety" related issue, Honda are not giving it high priority; it is just another thing on their list, so don't expect a quick solution.
Laura has looked at this forum and has asked for her personal email address to be removed and has advised that [email protected] be used instead.

My view is that perhaps this will gain momentum if and when more owners report their findings.

2012 - 1.8 EX GT in Alabaster Silver

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page