Speaker upgrade new civic - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 29th January 2013, 13:24 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2012 civic 2.2 ES-T, Milano
Speaker upgrade new civic

Hi all

I wanted to know if anyone has changed the speakers on the shape civic? I am simply looking to replace the existing ones with something that can hopefully play the sound without the distortion. I noted that some people have spoken about sound proofing. I am confident but not technically minded when it comes to this kind of thing. EG. Can I pop to halfords or alike, buy 4 semi decent speakers and a couple of tweeters and simply replace??!! I am seeing things about coaxial and crossover which I don't confess to know about.

I assumed all speakers were co axial!!

Please let me know if I am dreaming or if with a bit of know how I could have a go. I don't have any intention of changing the head unit or adding any other accessories such as a sub.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2013, 06:41

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid

I was dissatisfied with the sound on the base 4 speaker system (lack of clear top end and no much bass) so bought a pair of jbl GTO 638 6.5" 3 way (co-axial) speakers. The general rule is that speakers with a higher sensitivity will sound louder at a given power input. I temporarily fit the JBL speakers in the front doors and was very very disappointed. There was no bass but somewhat improved treble. This is because factory units generally do not have sufficient power to drive aftermarket speakers properly. There are several ways to resolve this- 1) get an active subwoofer (slimline underseat version or the traditional boombox version) to improve the bass 2) add a separate amplifier (which has speaker level inputs) to your factory head unit and upgrade to some good quality aftermarket speakers 3) get an aftermarket replacement centre fascia to install aftermarket head unit and speakers.

Honda apparently sold a speaker upgrade kit for the 8G (dual cone or 2 way) but it looks like it wouldn't fit the
9G as the plastic lugs are the wrong spacing. These would probably be an improvement on the stock speakers (which are a plastic single cone AFAIK).

Also, the higher end model variants have a 7 speaker (Premium sound) system (4 door speakers, 2 tweeters and 1 subwoofer). What might be possible is installing the 2 tweeters in the "sail" area behind the door mirrors.
That is assuming you are allowed to buy the parts from the dealer.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2013, 06:56

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid

I am by no means a car audio expert but I do know some basics:

Cheaper speakers are usually dual cone. Co-axial speakers come in 2,3,4 way and sound better than dual cones. Think of a speaker assigned to reproduce each relative range of frequencies (woofer, mid woofer, tweeter, supertweeter). "Components" are separate woofers and tweeters so you can locate the units to your liking. The crossover (usually attached to the speaker or off a short piece of speaker wire is circuitry (capacitor and or inductors) to "direct" the correct frequencies to the correct speaker.

In subwoofers, they have adjustable crossover frequency to enable you to tailor the sound to your need (so the overall sound from the whole system is more balanced).

Acura buyers in the US are very lucky, they have the option of very high end quality systems.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 24th February 2013, 11:38

Car: 2012 Civic 1.8, White Pearl
Wink

What you need is a "kit"
2x mid low woofers in doors and 2x trebles + the important crossover filter units provided with the kit.
And buy high sensitive ones as suggested.
Wire to original wires (need to know color on cables)
Make your own spacers and screw the speakers on tight.
Use some bitumen plates on bare metal if you want to get rid of some vibrations that color the sound.
Add some wool behind.
Tweeters just replace the original and tape them or glue them into place.

Last edited by gloom; 24th February 2013 at 11:48.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page