iPod Touch - USB connection - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th February 2013, 16:32 Thread Starter

iPod Touch - USB connection

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help. I am wanting to use an iPod Touch (5th gen) in my 9th gen Civic. I am more than happy with how the iPod works with the Civic and am using the original Apple Lightning cable and am attaching it to the USB connector inside the central arm rest unit. The iPod charge and shows all the content and artwork on the Civic's display.

What I am asking for help with is that I would like to place the iPod Touch in to the compartment between the central arm rest and the gearstick (the compartment with the sliding lid) and have made a device to hold it in there neatly and safely. It means I can just slide back the lid to reveal the iPod and when finished with it slide it shut.

The only problem I have is that I would like to run the Lightening cable from the USb connector in the arm rest in to the compartment where the iPod will be without any cables showing at all. Also I want to make as few a holes as possible. I've had a look but cannot work out how the central area of the car dismantles. This is how I would like it to work......

Ive removed the rubber mat at the bottom of the center arm rest and there are four screws. I undid these and all it did was losen the central arm rest (back two screws) and allowed me to lift out the connector area (USB, Power outlet and Aux) showing the push on connectors for these.

Really I dont want to be able to see the Lightning cable at all once I close the arm rest and the compartment next to the hand brake.

Can anyone help???
I'd really really appreciate any help

Trev

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 8th February 2013, 01:40

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid

The best thing to do would be to visit your local dealer and get them to print out a diagram of the centre console section .It sometimes shows where screws / clips are located. Whilst you're there get a pricing of the part(s). I've looked on websites but cannot locate any with a 9G parts listing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 8th February 2013, 02:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the advice - my dealer really isn't very helpful when it comes to things like this thou.

Not sure what you mean about pricing of parts? I've got everything I need apart from the knowledge of how to feed it through.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 8th February 2013, 03:04

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid

Before I start modding my car, I check the price of a replacement component if I accidentally break/ scratch it. If it costs too much to replace, then I generally don't touch it. There comes a point when you want to put everything back to original condition (like when you sell your car). Although this is entirely your choice.

The 9G is screwed together very well and there are a lot of hidden screws and clips. For example, the radio head unit is a pain to get to compared to the 8G. Good luck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 8th February 2013, 17:13 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Cheers for you help. All done!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 9th February 2013, 22:08
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevolly View Post
Cheers for you help. All done!!
Well....

How did you do it lol... Pics?

I've not been brave enough to take anything apart in my 9g yet except pop of the top dash cover to access the video in port of the i-MID.

Pete
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10th February 2013, 15:32
World Traveller

Car: (64) 1.6 DCI Megane GT Line

Such a cool idea tempted to do something similar for my iPhone 5.

BMW's have this as as extra, handy place for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th February 2013, 17:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Just to let you all know I am writing a "How to" for this as we speak. It will be under a new post with a "high media content heading" as I wanted to load some decent pics of what I did.

Trev

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page