2012 Civic Aftemarket head unit upgrade - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 20th February 2013, 09:27 Thread Starter

2012 Civic Aftemarket head unit upgrade

Just got my Civic 2 weeks ago and very happy with it. I'm in Australia but since the car was made in Swindon I thought I ask the question here. I'm planning to install double din aftermarket head unit. In the later stage I will add the amp and new speakers. Just wondering what functions will I lose from the iMID unit. Is thee any way (use adapter or rewiring) to retain some functions. Other option will be to get premium sound from VTI-L model. In this way I will gain extra tweeters and sub in the boot and retain all the functions of the display. I'm not sure about quality of the premium system. It will be great if someone could comment on it.

Last edited by lolek74; 20th February 2013 at 09:31.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 20th February 2013, 11:51

In the sedan version u lose bluetooth functionality and music screen on the imid, and only the volume buttons will work with the steering wheel. so wont be surprised if its same with the hatch!

I own the VTI-L version of the car and since ive never been in the other model, I cant really compare the two! But what i can say that it is a lot better than my other 2 cars (suzuki swift + mercedes b200).!

Last edited by metzo; 20th February 2013 at 11:56.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 20th February 2013, 11:54

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door, white.
Hi, im in Australia, and i have VTi-L (2012)as well. I wanna upgrade many things for my car,: such as Push start/stop button, Smart keyless entry and Double din Navigation Unit. I try to contact with dealer to trade in my car to get those things but I have to pay almost 8K to get new car. It too much. Anyone could comment?

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 20th February 2013, 12:36

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid

I have a vti-s hatch (series 1) and got a Civic vti-l sedan 9G loaner during my 10,000 k scheduled service the other day. Had noticed that the stock system in the sedan (Alpine OEM) was quite bassy for a 4 speaker system (so much that I had to turn down the bass somewhat). The 9G hatch standard sound system (traditionally Panasonic OEM) in comparion is louder and clearer but has nowhere as much bass.

For the series one vti-l hatch, premium sound was standard (2x tweeters, 4 x door speakers, 1 x subwoofer and 1 x amplifier). For the series two hatch vti-l the stereo has been downgraded to he standard 4 speaker base system. However, all models (vti-s, vti-l, vti-ln) now gain 2 x tweeters.

Coming from an Accord Euro sedan (10 speaker premium sound - 2 x tweeters, 4 x door speakers, 1x centre speaker, 2 x parcel shelf speakers, 1 x subwoofer and 1 x amplifier), the Civic hatch standard audio was definitely lacking clarity ,loudness and bass. So, to improve the sound, I tried putting in aftermarket coaxial 3 way speakers in the doors and was very disappointed (due to insufficient power from stock unit). At the moment, I've added an "underseat" compact active subwoofer. Much better now.

I've also previously enquired about changing the sound system (to the premium unit) or fitting a factory sub. The problem with trying to order parts that are not standard with your trim level is that it's generally not allowed. Honda require your VIN number to order parts and they match up the car model. You could possibly order from the UK online parts sites however you need the part number first. So far, there are no parts listings for the 9G hatch online. This will change over time though.

For those that want to go with aftermarket deck double DIN fascia, parts are available on ebay. From what I've heard, the issue is that you may lose steering wheel control unless you can source the correct interface harness for the 9G.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 20th February 2013, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nt23 View Post
Hi, im in Australia, and i have VTi-L (2012)as well. I wanna upgrade many things for my car,: such as Push start/stop button, Smart keyless entry and Double din Navigation Unit. I try to contact with dealer to trade in my car to get those things but I have to pay almost 8K to get new car. It too much. Anyone could comment?
Don't do it just for the sake of getting updated specs. I had my Accord euro for 3 months before I realised it was a pain to park and heavy on fuel (due to me vtec-ing all the time). I traded it in on the hatch and lost a heap of $$$.

Imagine how I feel, the new (series 2) vti-s gets these features over my car (and the price was cheaper than when I bought mine).

-Bluetooth HFT and audio streaming
-cruise control
- reverse camera
- false floor in boot for extra storage
- 2 x door tweeters

Never get the 1st generation of any car if you can avoid it.
Thanks to Vti07 from:
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 20th February 2013, 18:42

Car: Civic Sport Plus
Search for impulse , I believe they sell their kit for 9th gen civic. I don't know what functionality do you lose but they should know.
Thanks to dcivic from:
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 27th February 2013, 07:00 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks all for replies. I decided to go with Pioneer AVH-P4450BT. Getting aftermarket Double Din Fascia and all wiring. Will update once it is all done.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 28th February 2013, 16:15

Car: 2012 Civic 1.8, White Pearl
Why do you put in coaxial speakers in the front doors when there's dedicated tweeters also in the door???
Dedicated tweeter is always better. In the back you can put coaxial cause of non existing tweeter mounts.
Also choose easily driven speakers to get best result with any headunit (the most 45w for example is not that effective) You really need separate amp for some speakers to get any kind of volume.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th March 2013, 05:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloom View Post
Why do you put in coaxial speakers in the front doors when there's dedicated tweeters also in the door???
Dedicated tweeter is always better. In the back you can put coaxial cause of non existing tweeter mounts.
Also choose easily driven speakers to get best result with any headunit (the most 45w for example is not that effective) You really need separate amp for some speakers to get any kind of volume.
Certain specific models don't get a dedicated tweeter, only a plastic cover.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th March 2013, 06:49

Car: 2012 Civic 1.8, White Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vti07 View Post
Certain specific models don't get a dedicated tweeter, only a plastic cover.
That's why you get enclosures for the tweeters.
Screw them onto the plastic cover and drill a hole for the cable, done
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 07:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Here are few photos of the finished setup. Also installed set of Infinity reference speakers and soundproofed the car. What the difference... iMid and steering wheel controls working as well.

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 08:37

Great job on the setup. Did you start off with a factory tweeter (with inbuilt grill) or none (so you have to cut a hole into the blank triangular panel to fit an aftermarket tweeter)? I cannot tell from the photo. What is the model number of tweeters may I ask? And most importantly, do they sound good?
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 08:44 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Was just a blank panel. Used hole saw to cut is. These are Infinity REFERENCE 6030CS 6.5" Component speakers. It is a massive difference from factory. It sounds like proper amped setup but it is not. I uploaded video but for some reason the base faded out.

2012 Civic Hatch HU and speakers upgrade - YouTube
Thanks to lolek74 from:
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 08:50

Just one more question. Looks like you did a flush mount of the tweeter. Was there much clearance behind the panel and did you have to break off any plastic lugs on the panel?
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 09:00 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Nah. Just drilled a hole. No breaking no cutting, perfect fit. I looked at the VTI-L panels but the tweeter will not fit.
Thanks to lolek74 from:
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 12:01

Thanks for the replies. Since you have done a brilliant job with the tweeters (looks factory installed) I have decided to order a set of the Infinity tweeters to enhance the high end frequencies.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 12:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Just to clarify. These are not only tweeters. These are component speakers. Meaning that there is a main speaker, tweeter and small crossover box. Come with all fittings needed.

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 13:15

No need to clarify but thanks anyway. I have managed to track down the tweeter portion of that component set (the 1031T and the crossover). I just want to add the tweeter to the stock system for now as I still have the factory head unit.

Might sound awful as it's not matched to the OEM speakers but I'll see.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 7th April 2013, 13:39 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

No worries.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 8th April 2013, 15:24

Hi Lolek74,

Not sure if you remember, but when you removed the 2 screws holding the factory head unit in, did they look like a round head screw or more like a bolt head with philips insert so you can use either tool? If you can help, that would be great. Thanks. I have stripped the head on one of my screws and am sourcing the correct screw for the bracket.

Brackets for the OEM head unit

Round head screw as originally in the car

Specified Honda replacement for this screw (looks like the one circled)

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page