Can i just add an amp - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 19th March 2013, 21:19 Thread Starter

Talking Can i just add an amp

To save the hassel of changeing over the head unit and all the expense and little losses that go with it, could i cut into the wiring loom for the head unit and take the speaker feeds to an amp to boost the standard weak signal and then take them back to upgraded speakers/sub ect. I dont know much about amps so sorry if this is silly question, im just trying to get a better soundsystem .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 19th March 2013, 21:30

Car: 2012 Civic 1.8, White Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakm1 View Post
To save the hassel of changeing over the head unit and all the expense and little losses that go with it, could i cut into the wiring loom for the head unit and take the speaker feeds to an amp to boost the standard weak signal and then take them back to upgraded speakers/sub ect. I dont know much about amps so sorry if this is silly question, im just trying to get a better soundsystem .
Short answer, yes.

Long answer:

With some quality loss you take the powered HU signal and pass it through a speaker "high level" signal to RCA "low level" converter, then RCA to your amp.

or like I am going to do:

HU signal to Audison Bit Ten (audio processor with 24-bit d/a a/d, 32-bit DSP etc) which de-equalizes the signal then equalize it according to car accoustics and then out to your amp for crystal clear and optimized sound.

Either way you need to remove the HU cause you need to tap atleast both rear full range channels

http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=42

or the cheap alternative:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPEAKER-TO...item3cb5e42de6

Oh, and you will still need to hook up the "remote" cable from the HU wires to the amp or it will not start.

Last edited by gloom; 19th March 2013 at 21:42.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 19th March 2013, 22:44 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

This looks like a good option, how much to set this system up roughly and were you planning put the "bit ten"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 20th March 2013, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakm1 View Post
This looks like a good option, how much to set this system up roughly and were you planning put the "bit ten"
Well I already have the amp from before. Unfortunately only 2 channel so need another amp later or switch to 4channel.
Amps range from around 90 to like 900 I guess.
A cheap one is still better then HU amp in most cases.
Bit ten is 300 roughly.
Speakers around 200.
50 for a good cable kit for the amp and speakers.
If you don't install yourself, it will cost you as much or more then what the gear cost cause its time consuming.
That's why I'm doing it myself.
And while the scorecards are down add some sound deadening
Havnt received it yet to check cable lengths etc but I want everything in the boot under the lid.

Last edited by gloom; 20th March 2013 at 07:53.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 20th March 2013, 18:32
Your just like an angel..

Car: 04 Silver EP3
Get an amp with high level input? Or an LOC

Personaly tho if your gonna go through the headache of upgrading your speakers id do the hu too

Last edited by Waxdee; 20th March 2013 at 18:35.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 20th March 2013, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxdee View Post
Get an amp with high level input? Or an LOC

Personaly tho if your gonna go through the headache of upgrading your speakers id do the hu too
Yes we covered that. A LOC would be the cheapest way to keep the stock look and functions.
Bit Ten way is alot more advanced and you really need to set it up properly for it to be worth anything.
As I see it, the Bit Ten + keeping stock HU will cost me less then a good aftermarket HU and when configured properly, there's no chance that aftermarket HU will come close to the sound altering capabilities of the Bit Ten.
There's also possibility to add a Component to AUX in on the Bit Ten (like a Bluetooth adapter for example) that will automaticly cut the sound when it gets a signal.
Perfect for me who lacks Bluetooth from factory.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page