Satnav Some FAQ's answered about radio/speaker install - Civinfo
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By gloom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2013, 20:25 Thread Starter

Car: 2012 Civic 1.8, White Pearl
Lightbulb Some FAQ's answered about radio/speaker install

I just want to point out a few discoveries I've made as I've installed and setup my audio system in the car.

1. Don't forget the screws inside of the handle beneath the small rubber piece. Easily broken if you bend the doorcard forgetting about these.

2. If you have tweeters oem, aftermarket normal size tweeters will fit exactly inside.

3. The oem radio is NOT EQUALIZED. The output level is FLAT.

4. The tweeters use the same color cables as the mids. Not separate channels from the oem radio.

5. The rubber cylinder hose that houses the cables going from inside the car to the door CAN'T BE PENETRATED. You will need to have the cable go beside it. Why? There's no hole in the ends but a wire harness at each side with connectors.

6. Green plastic plugs holding door cards etc are completely new and not based on old models and cost 2-3 each.

7. L-shaped kick panel at passenger side close to center is easily broken if removed but costs only about 5 from honda.

8. Plastic covers inside of the door handles will easily break, ESPECIALLY the rears. Will probably be cheap from Honda, but I reinforced with double sided tape. These WILL cause rattle if not seated properly.

9. When equalizing the car with a external microphone and TrueRTA software ( TrueRTA Audio Spectrum Analyzer Software ) I found the curve quite straight except from around 50-80hz that needed to be lowered by alot.

10. The lower compartment in the trunk is perfect for amp install and you will still have room for tools etc (just secure them)

11. The oem speakers pulls up then towards you to be removed. The oem speakers can be cut out and used as a bracket for new speakers.

12. Both front and rear are 6.5" speakers.

13. When fitting new speakers with oem stereo, the volume threshold before distortion seems to be around 20 in volume on the oem stereo depending of the recorded volume of the music track.

14. There will be problems of varying kind with aftermarket units and the "Start/Stop" system. After entering idle stop at a traffic light etc, and when the engine starts again, your headunit will most likely shut off and on again (If you have a Bluetooth call or stream music, it will take a long time before reconnect).
Audison has a accessory to mend this and some other manufacturers might also have this, but be prepared for this.

15. There's a good grounding point underneath the seat close to where the seatbelt holder connects. There's several good grounding points behind the glove department including factory grounding points. There's no good grounding points underneath the most rear plastic cover in the trunk.

16. Going through the firewall from inside of the engine compartment is easy and you can reach it without removing anything. The inside however will be hard to access (You won't see the entrance at all) so basicly you need to fish the wire from the engine compartment until you can reach it underneath the glove department. This is what took most of my time initially.

If I forgot something, I will add later on. Feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer them.

To get aftermarket sound quality and beyond but keep oem stereo, I recommend Audison Bit Ten:

Audison bit - bit Ten
iceNick and jaxckhan like this.

Last edited by gloom; 3rd April 2013 at 22:35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2013, 21:12

Hey gloom, on the stop start front, what is it that Audison provide and how does in work/integrate with an aftermarket radio?

Cheers,

James
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2013, 22:19 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studguy View Post
Hey gloom, on the stop start front, what is it that Audison provide and how does in work/integrate with an aftermarket radio?

Cheers,

James
Its essentially a box connected to the power wires before your aftermarket HU (or in my case before the bit ten) and delivers constant voltage even on voltage drops caused by the engine firing up.

The oem radio or satnav units got this feature built in already.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th April 2013, 03:22

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
In regards to the rubber cylinder hose for the door it is possible to get the cable in but it is very very difficult due to the wiring plugs in the way. I was also to do it without poking holes into the rubber as well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th April 2013, 08:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vti07 View Post
In regards to the rubber cylinder hose for the door it is possible to get the cable in but it is very very difficult due to the wiring plugs in the way. I was also to do it without poking holes into the rubber as well.
Wow kudos to you. Was too much fiddeling to me
Its practicly invisible cause its so deep in anyway
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th April 2013, 12:02

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
Thanks. I did cheat and use stiff wire feed it through though.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 14th April 2017, 22:24

Car: 2015 1.8 5 door White orchid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloom View Post
I just want to point out a few discoveries I've made as I've installed and setup my audio system in the car.

1. Don't forget the screws inside of the handle beneath the small rubber piece. Easily broken if you bend the doorcard forgetting about these.

2. If you have tweeters oem, aftermarket normal size tweeters will fit exactly inside.

3. The oem radio is NOT EQUALIZED. The output level is FLAT.

4. The tweeters use the same color cables as the mids. Not separate channels from the oem radio.

5. The rubber cylinder hose that houses the cables going from inside the car to the door CAN'T BE PENETRATED. You will need to have the cable go beside it. Why? There's no hole in the ends but a wire harness at each side with connectors.

6. Green plastic plugs holding door cards etc are completely new and not based on old models and cost 2-3 each.

7. L-shaped kick panel at passenger side close to center is easily broken if removed but costs only about 5 from honda.

8. Plastic covers inside of the door handles will easily break, ESPECIALLY the rears. Will probably be cheap from Honda, but I reinforced with double sided tape. These WILL cause rattle if not seated properly.

9. When equalizing the car with a external microphone and TrueRTA software ( TrueRTA Audio Spectrum Analyzer Software ) I found the curve quite straight except from around 50-80hz that needed to be lowered by alot.

10. The lower compartment in the trunk is perfect for amp install and you will still have room for tools etc (just secure them)

11. The oem speakers pulls up then towards you to be removed. The oem speakers can be cut out and used as a bracket for new speakers.

12. Both front and rear are 6.5" speakers.

13. When fitting new speakers with oem stereo, the volume threshold before distortion seems to be around 20 in volume on the oem stereo depending of the recorded volume of the music track.

14. There will be problems of varying kind with aftermarket units and the "Start/Stop" system. After entering idle stop at a traffic light etc, and when the engine starts again, your headunit will most likely shut off and on again (If you have a Bluetooth call or stream music, it will take a long time before reconnect).
Audison has a accessory to mend this and some other manufacturers might also have this, but be prepared for this.

15. There's a good grounding point underneath the seat close to where the seatbelt holder connects. There's several good grounding points behind the glove department including factory grounding points. There's no good grounding points underneath the most rear plastic cover in the trunk.

16. Going through the firewall from inside of the engine compartment is easy and you can reach it without removing anything. The inside however will be hard to access (You won't see the entrance at all) so basicly you need to fish the wire from the engine compartment until you can reach it underneath the glove department. This is what took most of my time initially.

If I forgot something, I will add later on. Feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer them.

To get aftermarket sound quality and beyond but keep oem stereo, I recommend Audison Bit Ten:

Audison bit - bit Ten
Are front/rear speakers the same shape, size? I' m asking bebause i need to know what kind of adapter to pirchase for the rear. Attahed is the pic i found for the front. Thanks,

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Electronics and ICE (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page