2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Early oil change or not?

8K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  ahto42 
#1 ·
My dealer told me that my new Civic 10G does not need the early oil change at 2000 - 3000 km that has been recommended in the past for new cars and that I should change the oil after 1 year.
What is the opinion of others here? Should I listen to this or should I change the oil early?
Thanks.

#2 ·
I'd say listen to them, they're the experts.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Reactions: cb550
#3 ·
Manufacturers make money on faults developing outside warranty but it costs them inside it.They work out the probable fail rates and stretch servicing as much as they can,to make running costs meet other manufacturers costs so when you choose a vehicle and take service costs into consideration,their cars remain a viable option.

If i were to buy a new car with the intention of keeping it years outside warranty i would be doing regular oil changes,oil costs very little but its the life blood of any engine.You dont need to change the filter if doing interim oil changes just the oil.

With that said,engine parts are made nowadays to much better tolerances and only a fool would run an engine in slowly other than a few miles especially a diesel which 20 mile aside want driving normally and occasionally using more briskly.Revs were never the issue although manuals keep it simple for average folk,its excessive heat you dont want and that can be gained at all revs.

So to answer your question,if keeping it in warrenty before binning it,no,if intending to keep it long term i would.

#6 ·
Running in is almost obsolete and i wouldnt want a diesel that i know for sure has been 'run in' .

But old school,it isnt revs that is the issue it is heat thats the enemy.Load regulates heat,not revs.

If you run a diesel in you risk glazing the bores and that can lead to more oil consumption and less efficient engines. Personally nowadays id give petrol or diesel 20 mile then treat them as normal.Infact thinking about it ive never given them that :)

#17 ·
In terms of running in, the manual states take it easy for the first 600 miles, no sudden acceleration etc, 200 miles for the brakes to bed in.
I've been limiting myself to 4000rpm and 50% throttle until I hit 600 miles. A lot of manufacturers, even on the likes of a GTR, say to stick to this for best fuel economy later on for the car.

#18 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

I just bought my new 1.5 turbo CVT. I'm from Istanbul/Turkey.

I searched a lot about how to proper use a new engine and want to share with you what I undersood:

• Don’t use too low rews
  • Before moving, start engine and wait around 1-2 mins to engine get ready
  • Before stopping the car, wait around 1-2 mins to get engine and turbo parts cooled (especially after long runs)
  • Don’t load car too much, don’t use gas pedal all the way, use it gently
  • In first 1000kms, rews should be goint around 1700-3000 . But not constant rews.
  • 1000 to 1500 kms rews should be touching 4000 RPMs.
  • 1500 to 4000 kms you can reach max engine should be touching 4500 , 5000, 5500 and 6000 revs gradually.

When it comes to early oil change, someone says Honda using a special oil for new engines in factory and should not be changed until regular oil change time which is 10.000kms.
I still couldn’t decide should I change or not but anyway it will not be a mistake in my opinion.

#19 ·
In Germany it is by law not allowed to let the car run in idle to warm it up.
Don't know if that's a measure to increase car sales - but the official reason is environment protection.

As far as I understood you should let the turbo spin down before shutting off, takes no more than 30 seconds. Reason being shutting off too early will switch off the oil pump and the oil film might rip and the turbo spins down running dry.

But I guess those instructions also depend on the specific model.

#22 ·
Strange in America (from watching YouTube) they think a oil change once a year is weird. And change every 6000/6 months or 3000 miles. Watched one video of a crew asking drivers and dealerships how often and all saying 6000/6 months. Yet in manual it was a year which surprised them. Then again easy bucks for any garage. Also amount of drivers with new cars changing their own oil. But if you want longevity in your engine every 6 months sounds good. Maybe expensive but good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
That says everything you ever need to know . Dealer service-budget price (fully specced) engine oil bought in bulk. Customer spares counter purchase/front of house-only Honda branded/Honda prices !

That's business for you!

Reactions: Alcides
#26 ·
Video about Kia, but seeing that oil filter and the golden sparkly oil, If you want to keep the car over warranty period, then early oil changes are a must. Brother had a shop, new transporters have a 40k km first oil change. But they did at 1k, 5k, 10k and 15k km to get the oil sparkles free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.