Faults Error codes P0340 & P0344 - Page 2 - Civinfo
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th June 2017, 12:34
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruss View Post
I haven't i am certain they would not entertain the idea of covering the repair.
The car is 10 years old, main dealer service history up to about 75k miles, then i serviced it myself after that, using honda filters and 0w30 oil, so no "stamped" service history.
I understand a chain is for life like a dog, but there is only so much goodwill Honda would show and on a 10 year old car with 135k miles and part service history i think that would not extend to this case.
Well if you don't ask you don't get. Seeing as you've just invested more money into the car before the chain snapped I'd be inclined to argue it's a manufacturing fault as diesels are built stronger. I argued the case with a brake master cylinder and they did a free replacement for me worth 400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th June 2017, 12:38

Car: 2009 honda civic type s 1.8
Eco display Eco display
Send a message via AIM to Harryhonda98 Send a message via MSN to Harryhonda98
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruss View Post
I haven't i am certain they would not entertain the idea of covering the repair.
The car is 10 years old, main dealer service history up to about 75k miles, then i serviced it myself after that, using honda filters and 0w30 oil, so no "stamped" service history.
I understand a chain is for life like a dog, but there is only so much goodwill Honda would show and on a 10 year old car with 135k miles and part service history i think that would not extend to this case.
I see a timing chain replacement project 😉 good guide on here from an accord 2.2!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th June 2017, 13:19
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhonda98 View Post
I see a timing chain replacement project �� good guide on here from an accord 2.2!

Possibly my guide with loads of pictures from when I did both my chains because they were noisy?

Unfortunately I have heard of several i-CTDi Hondas suffering snapped chains, but never heard of one surviving. A guy on TypeAccord did replace his snapped can chain only to discover that the valves had been damaged. He looked into replacing the head but gave up because of the cost (including a ridiculously expensive head gasket). It cost me over 330 just to replace the chains myself, using eBay chains, reusing as many parts as possible (including one tensioner) and only buying a few parts from Honda (one tensioner, a tensioner arm and some bolts, all with a TA forum discount). And I didn't need to worry about the top end because nothing had broken!

In this case I suggest a replacement engine would be the best course of action. Hopefully this might cost little more than I spent on my chains?

I don't think Honda will be interested in helping. You've gone past the 7 years/125k miles extended warranty for chain problems
Harryhonda98 likes this.

Last edited by Jon_G; 20th June 2017 at 13:23.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st June 2017, 09:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I don't think i will be getting the current engine fixed due to probably more damage than just a broken chain.
I have manged to find an engine near to me that has 86k on it for 300. So i will get the chain changed in that before it goes in the car.
Is there anything scary to watch out with an engine transplant. i.e Can i use my original ecu with the engine, or am i best seeing if i can fit my old injectors in the replacement engine
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 27th June 2017, 09:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quick update, the local garage with the engine, after 5 days decided they didn't have an engine, so that was a great waste of time!!
So i have found an ebay item with 42000 miles (apparently) on it. So off it goes to get that installed.
Thanks to Natwest banking and free Greenflag with my account, the home assist covered my car from my home address to any garage in the UK, so happy outcome.
Jon_G and lightningslow like this.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2017, 16:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Final update. I got the car back Thursday morning and all is well. Its now got a nice quiet engine in it that pulls strong.
The only job i have left to do is re code the injectors to the ecu, but it does feel very smooth when driving with good pick up, but every such a lumpy tickover.
This was all done by a place called midland jap spares in Birmingham, its basically a breakers yard with very basic equipment (ie they couldn't clear the fault codes from the ecu, so i did that with torque pro app)
The guy who did the work said he has done a lot of these engines and showed me a few dead ones, a few had holes in the sump and there was one with a chunk missing out of the cam cover from when the chain let go.
He said on examining the engines, the valves don't bend when the chain goes, but generally you do get a few broken cam followers.
This was the old engine.

This is the replacment engine

So if anyone gets a none runner with the engine fault P0340 and P0344 then it could be the cam chain has broken..

Last edited by xtruss; 2nd July 2017 at 16:16. Reason: typo's
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2017, 17:23
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,041 Posts
Glad it's fixed. Enjoy!
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2017, 18:01

Car: 2009 honda civic type s 1.8
Eco display Eco display
Send a message via AIM to Harryhonda98 Send a message via MSN to Harryhonda98
Plenty more motoring out of the civic then!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Engines and Transmission (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page