2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Honda Civic MK8 Clutch Actuator

Clutch 
10K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  r.kelly 
#1 ·
Car: 2006 Honda Civic EX i-VTEC S-A, 1.8 Petrol, i-Shift. 117k miles.

Sorry for making this long, but I wanted to include as much details as possible.

Hello,

I was driving my car normally, until suddenly it stopped driving and an orange cog warning light appeared on my dash. The car got stuck in the gear and did not start again due to this problem. Roadside inspection by AA could not identify the issue, therefore they have towed my car to a local Honda dealership. Upon carrying out a diagnostic on my problem, Honda have told me that I need a new Clutch actuator and a new clutch. They have quoted me a price of £3000 which I have refused and began research of my own (the car costs less than this, therefore it was simply uneconomical). Honda have put the car into Neutral (N) gear and I towed the car back home. I came across a company called ECU Testing which rebuilds Clutch actuators on request and decided to give them a try as the unit would not have to be reprogrammed after the fix.

I have found a mobile mechanic who has removed my clutch actuator which I have promptly sent to ECU Testing. I was later informed that indeed my actuator was faulty and could be repaired, I have agreed to repair that. Once I’ve received the “fixed” actuator back, I have agreed with my mechanic to fit it back and install new genuine Honda clutch kit as well as a new slave. Once everything was fitted back, and the system was bled a couple of times, the car did go into the gear when the ignition switch was in position II. However, the car did no go into the gear when ignition was on. Each time it was attempted to put into gear there was a grinding noise (as if the clutch is not engaging at all). Last attempt has made the car get stuck in the gear again. Mechanic has suggested that the clutch slave was not extending far enough which was due to a faulty clutch actuator. We have then took the actuator out and sent it back to ECU testing for a clarification. Meanwhile, scanning the car with professional diagnostic tool has shown the following error codes:

• 56-20 – SRS unit internal failure, present.
• P0562 – TCM power relay sense circuit low, present. (The battery is fully charged)
• U1261 – Lost communication with anti-lock brake system control module, present.
• U1403 – CAN TCM/ABS circuit malfunction, present.
• B1241 – Blower motor electrical fault, present.
• P0919 – Gear shift position control error, present.

Upon another inspection of the unit by the ECU Testing, they have confirmed there are no faults with the clutch actuator and sent it back to me. I did not want to fit the actuator back again as nobody seems to know what the issue is. Possible options suggested by the mechanic and ECU Testing are; bleeding the system few dozen times, looking into gear selectors and synchromesh, getting car electric to resolve the above error codes. Can somebody please suggest a possible solution to my problem as now I am not sure whether my mechanics have done something incorrectly or there are other parts in the car which are faulty. At this stage I am not sure whether it is worth repairing the car or selling it for spares.

I am more than happy to answer further questions.

Thanks.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.