Coolant 1.8 petrol coolant change....? - Civinfo
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By lightningslow
  • 2 Post By Schwifty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st January 2018, 18:07 Thread Starter

1.8 petrol coolant change....?

1.8 petrol 8th Gen....is it easy to change the coolant ? What is the recommended service interval?

Someone please tell me there is a nice convenient screw out drain point or similar !

What antifreeze/coolant is recommended?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2018, 13:44

Car: 2010 1.8 ES 5 door, Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooper View Post
1.8 petrol 8th Gen....is it easy to change the coolant ? What is the recommended service interval?

Someone please tell me there is a nice convenient screw out drain point or similar !

Thanks all.
Keeping an eye on this as I'm looking to do a flush and change on mine soon as well.

As far as recommended coolant goes I've been told to only put this in: https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/hond...RoCmW8QAvD_BwE

In terms of the replacement process, I haven't dug into the haynes manual yet to find out so can't help there. Sorry!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2018, 14:48
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
Quote:

Thanks all.
Theres a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator, youll need to remove the under tray to get to it.

5L of honda ready mix coolant is under 25 from dealers and only use that.
The cjrshop likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2018, 21:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks all, yes just noticed my newly acquired haynes manual points toward the convenient radiotr drain plug
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 8th February 2018, 12:54

Quote:

Thanks all.
Just checked the service manual, and it states for petrol cars every 120k miles or 10 years (whichever is sooner), then every 60k / 5 years from then on. For diesel cars, it's 62.5k / 5 years, then every 37.5k / 3 years.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th August 2018, 16:42
Supporter

Car: 2009 1.8 ex gt
I know it's an old thread but it was the .osf recent one I could see

I am planning on doing the coolant change and the manual refers to the drain plug on the rad

It also mentions a bleed screw on the block that needs closing once the bubbling stops when refilling and another drain ug on the back of the engine

Do I need to use these or will the STD bleeding process via the heater matrix suffice

Thanks in advance
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 9th October 2018, 22:31
Supporter

Car: 2006 Civic
I would like to know the bleeding technique as well please

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10th October 2018, 06:45

Car: 2010 1.8 ES 5 door, Silver
Garage
I did a partial flush on my 1.8 whilst changing the gearbox oil the other week, only via the radiator drain plug (not the block so can't comment on that).

- Waited until the engine was cold.
- Detached the entire undertray (not just the engine oil drain hatch).
- Unscrew the radiator drain plug, catch the dropped coolant somehow (I just used a bucket).
- Once finished draining, screw the drain plug back in and fill with distilled water.
- I then ran the engine for a couple of minutes to circulate things a bit, switched it off before it was showing any signs of serious temperature.
- Went and had a cup of tea, then took the dog for a walk to let the engine cool again.
- Drain again. Once empty, re attached drain plug and fill again but this time with Honda type 2 coolant until coming out of the radiator cap.
- Run the engine with the rad cap off until up to temp, this should get rid of most of the air pockets. it gurgled about three times in my experience doing this. Reattach the radiator top cap.
- Took the car for a run, watching the temperature gauge like a hawk. All solid, no issues (your mileage may vary, make sure to stop if anything looks amiss).
- I topped up the expansion tank too as that level dropped a bit after two runs. Its now rock solid though and hasn't moved for about three weeks.

That's how I did mine, I was planning to do several flushes / the block as well but what came out was so clean and debris free that I didn't bother.

I used a whole carton of type 2 coolant BTW so if you're attempting a block drain as well I'd have a spare on standby just in case (I'm not sure of the capacities).

Cheers

Sent from my Z1 using Tapatalk
cb550 and Malcster75 like this.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Engines and Transmission (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page