2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

2.2 Master Cylinder Failure Again!

Other 
7K views 42 replies 11 participants last post by  M8TJT 
#1 ·
Having already had one replaced under warranty and another replaced 25th Aug 17 (bought from Cox) and fitted by an Independent garage, it failed on 27th July 18 after only 4.5K and had to be towed 70 miles home and dropped at the Independent garage that fitted it.

No problem I thought and rang Cox to trigger the 12 month warranty - what warranty! Apparently, the car would need to go to a Honda Dealer for them to strip it and confirm the master cylinder had failed. Offered to take the master cylinder to them - you can strip it and see that the seal has flipped over, a common failure on 8th Gen civics but that is not acceptable.

Spoke to Honda UK who reiterated the same and asked me to have car towed to Honda Dealer but car already stripped, so would have to ask garage to refit knackered part and pay them and transport car to dealer. Honda UK did offer to transport car but the labour at the independent garage would make this pointless, given the low cost of the part. Not to mention that I would be without a car for even longer.

I have now given up with Honda completely, so ordered another master cylinder for my garage to fit but will never buy another part from Honda again nor will a Honda car ever be purchased by me, wife or daughter. Rant over!

Note: This rant is not about Cox who have been fine with me and always delivered parts fast and at a good price but Honda UK, who are utterly useless. If losing a customer for life over £159 is worth it then good luck to them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
If the part is faulty they have to refund it mate. That's the law and it doesn't matter what their procedures are.

Your contract is not with Honda UK, it's with Cox Honda Parts. Tell them you're sending the part back with the mechanic's letter confirming diagnosis and request a FULL refund.

Consumer Rights Act 2015 says all of this. Also if you bought that master cylinder with your credit card, they are also jointly liable for faulty goods.

I would pursue it as a matter of principle. Cox are giving you INCORRECT advice.

#3 ·
If the part is faulty they have to refund it mate. That's the law and it doesn't matter what their procedures are.

Your contract is not with Honda UK, it's with Cox Honda Parts. Tell them you're sending the part back with the mechanic's letter confirming diagnosis and request a FULL refund.

Consumer Rights Act 2015 says all of this. Also if you bought that master cylinder with your credit card, they are also jointly liable for faulty goods.

I would pursue it as a matter of principle. Cox are giving you INCORRECT advice.

I have now sent a letter to Cox requesting a refund under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and they have 14 days to reply. We'll see how they respond! I have checked and unfortunately I used a debit card rather than credit card so section 75 does not apply in this case. Pity, as I've had success in the past with Section 75.

Reactions: Farqui
#4 ·
Forgot to add that I've requested a letter from the garage to state that the master cylinder is faulty (leaks to the slave on depressing the clutch) for when Cox reject the letter.

#5 ·
COX shooting themselves in the foot perhaps if they don't sort it as if their policy is that any parts bought from them must be fitted by Honda, why would I bother buying it from them for my local Honda dealer to fit it? I wouldn't have Honda touch my car after the experience I had with them regarding servicing and service life of Air Filters..

#6 ·
in fairness Cox are not saying that any parts bought must be fitted by Honda but that for any warranty replacements then a Honda dealership must strip and confirm the failure for any warranty claim. According to Honda UK it is in their warranty terms. However, where Cox does fall down is that you can put what you like in warranty terms but it does not override you legal rights in that the part must be fit for purpose.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Nope. The letter was sent registered post to Cix last week and they have 14 days to reply. I've also requested the garage to give me a letter stating the nature of the failure, which will also be sent to Cox.

#12 ·
Still heard nothing from Cox but now got the letter from the garage stating the reason for failure so now to decide whether to send the letter to Cox now or wait for the 14 day deadline? At least the car is back on the road!

#13 ·
Not a good advertisement for Cox considering there are probably a lot of people on this Forum read it.
I had a similar experience with my local Honda Stealer and Honda UK regarding servicing and they didn't give a rats ass either.

#18 ·
Surprised at this as normally Cox are pretty bob on from my experience with them..

Think you will find that they are bound by warranty guidelines set by Honda, I would have thought that they would have asked for the part back for analysis, so they knew whether the fault lay with the installation of said MC or whether it was a material defect..

Seems very odd that they are washing their hands of this in this way.

#20 ·
I have never had a problem before with Cox either. They are saying they are bound by Honda warranty and I agree with them on the warranty front. However, I am not claiming under warranty as Honda state clearly that for warranty to apply then the vehicle must be assessed by a Honda dealer and that could not happen in this case! I am going after them under the 2015 Consumer Act. Honda can put whatever they like in a warranty but this does not undermine my legal rights and this is where Cox are wrong. As my contract is with Cox not Honda then I go after Cox and then they can go after Honda UK.

#21 ·
I offered to send the failed MC to Honda for analysis but they declined stating that the car MUST be stripped by a Honda dealer. As the car had already been stripped, I wasn't paying the local garage to put it all back together again, have it transported to Honda and stripped by them.

#22 ·
Personally, I'd be ringing consumer direct about it, get a case number. Send a copy of the diagnosis letter to Cox, then get on the phone to Cox, speak to a manager, telling them of your proper rights, not just Honda dreamland ones. Also ring the credit card company.

If you took this to small claims, it would be an easy win.

#23 ·
Already have a case number. If nothing arrives by Monday then I'll send the diagnosis letter and dpeak to Cox once it has arrived.

#28 ·
Well until I see a satisfactory result, they'll not get another penny from me as their Radio Silence is deafening. For the preferred forum supplier, they've shot themselves well in the foot.

Come on COX, get this sorted, it isn't a grand sum of money involved here, do the right thing....

#29 ·
As said, they're in breach of consumers' protection act and quite happy to do it. The fact they're openly flaunting it and also in complete dis-regard to their customer's dilemma as a result of failure of their goods bought in good faith kind of beggar's belief, little less than some kind of loathsome 'cowboy' operation, trading from a p.o. box then moving on under a different name.

#30 ·
I'm an engineer not a lawyer BUT I am aware that British civil law is underpinned by the primary requirement for both parties in a contract to act 'reasonably' and - whatever other contractual conditions are imposed - this obligation to be 'reasonable' remains the overriding factor.

You will win this!

#31 ·
Good Evening,

I thought i'd share a link you may wish to view.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/

I've read this post and another one with interest regarding Cox's.

I'm just a normal Forum Member, but reading the thread carefully I observe the following.

1. The Item was purchased, used and failed after 11 months of purchase - see the section in the link above "what proof do you need?" - under 6 months - it's up to the supplier to prove faulty, after 6 months it's up to the consumer to prove that it's faulty.

2. you mention claiming on warranty - this is something offered over and above your consumer rights - As such for it to be used, they have a procedure, which they ask to be followed for it to be claimed against - they have expressed what this is.

3. You are now looking to utilise your Consumer Rights, although by doing this you will need to have the part inspected (at your own cost) and have a report made up - if that proves the part is faulty, then Cox's would need to supply a new part under your consumer rights, as well as refund the cost of the strip down.

It's a shame Cox's have yet to reply on this matter, as the Consumer Rights are clear and it's a shame they have only responded regarding the Warranty Claim aspect.

I hope the above matter regarding this part can be solved amicably, between the purchaser and seller.

I wish you the best in resolving this matter and hope the above link and comments are helpful to you.

Kindest Regards
Darren

#33 ·
As stated above, the MC has been tested already by an independent garage and I have a letter confirming its failure. I have yet to send this to Cox but will do. Hopefully this will do the trick, if not then off to court we go!

#35 ·
I intend to. Whilst £159 does not mean a great deal to me, it does to others, so I will fight to the bitter end.

#37 ·
To be fair, if Radio silence is Cox's response to them, saving a couple of £ here and there with them, I'm better going with my local stealer. I'm surprised that they haven't resolved this issue amicably for such a small amount of money. But there you go, love Honda Cars but Approved Dealers and Honda UK don't give a flying F... Service intervals and service items are atrocious. Shown the Air Filter on here on numerous occasions that Honda UK and Approved dealer thought was fine and I found atrocious. Full dealer service history in my eyes after Park Honda in Irvine and Honda UK are concerned wouldn't give me confidence in buying that car.

#38 ·
Update.......

Received an email from Dan O'Hare (Cox) asking for a number to contact me. Anyway rang him and they have asked for the failed unit and a copy of the letter from the garage detailing the cause of the failure and they will reimburse me, regardless of whether Honda reimburse them!

Apparently, Dan had been on holiday for 2 weeks but emailed straight away on his return this morning (08:20).

Anyway, I will return the unit along with the letter tomorrow, as I am off work and hopefully will get a refund shortly after. I'll update this thread accordingly.

Clearly Dan is on the ball, not too sure why nobody else at Cox had been as proactive but looks as though it will now be resolved.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Steve

#39 ·
Update.......

Received an email from Dan O'Hare (Cox) asking for a number to contact me. Anyway rang him and they have asked for the failed unit and a copy of the letter from the garage detailing the cause of the failure and they will reimburse me, regardless of whether Honda reimburse them!

Apparently, Dan had been on holiday for 2 weeks but emailed straight away on his return this morning (08:20).

Anyway, I will return the unit along with the letter tomorrow, as I am off work and hopefully will get a refund shortly after. I'll update this thread accordingly.

Clearly Dan is on the ball, not too sure why nobody else at Cox had been as proactive but looks as though it will now be resolved.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Steve

Result Steve, common sense has prevailed... Will now get all my service items from them...

#41 ·
Master cylinder and letter from garage sent back to Cox on Tuesday and contacted by Dan on Wednesday, who duly refunded the full amount. Faith in Cox now restored! Just unfortunate Dan was on holiday when it failed!

Reactions: Farqui
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.