Faults DPF problem on my first HONDA - Civinfo
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By JamesII
  • 2 Post By nturnb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th May 2019, 18:02 Thread Starter

Garage
DPF problem on my first HONDA

Hello, from soon I own my first Honda, Civic 2.2 i-ctdi 2008 FK3 140hp. Taking it all was ok until the DPF filter lamp lit up, I took it to Honda Bulgaria shut the paw, but they told me it would light up again, but it is not known when. Is the day came the pause lit up again, can you tell me what the variants are. I have read that in the physical removal of the filter it is possible to stop autopilot and other security systems. But if you remove the software, from a literate person, it will not happen, can you tell me how much it is possible to happen with stopping the security and autopilot systems? I'm thinking about removing it physically and software, then doing a car tuning chip, here too you can tell me what the effects of a chip tuning will be, is it possible to have a direct clutch change on a chip tuning? What are the differences in a chip tuning, are there advantages and disadvantages, and what are they if there are? Does this vehicle have any tuning potential, such as a hybrid turbo, with a bigger hot and cold part? But for now my biggest problem is the filter, so please let me know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th May 2019, 21:02

I have no idea what the regulations are in your country but you have 2 options.

Have the DPF hollowed out and remap the car removing DPF from the ecu, many mappers try to do this with but many are not successful.

Or bite the bullet and buy a new one, remembering to reset, many people have DPFs replaced, I am not sure on the Honda but many other cars need a reset done.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th May 2019, 21:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Can you tell me after I removed the DPF filter physically and software, problems with VSA, Cruise Control and SparkPlug warming, is it possible to start after a while of driving and not immediately?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 14th May 2019, 18:48

Hi. I have had the exact same issue with the same car and I am in Bulgaria too. The filter sign with "!" lit and power was limited. Did a force regen but did not help. I did not want to physically remove the filter because who knows what regulations will be imposed soon. I removed the filter from the car and sent it to a shop which tested the filter with a scanner and then cleaned it with ultrasound. Put the filter back on car, reset it and no problems after that. It is regenerating regularly now without any light lighting up. There is another method for cleaning where the filter is pressure washed but it isn't as effective because it only cleans the soot and not the accumulated carbon ash meaning that the filter will get blocked pretty soon after. There are companies which can physically remove the filter without problems with cruise control but as I said, it is not adviseable, I can give you details. PM me and I will give you the cleaning shop details. Cheers
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 14th May 2019, 22:45
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
As above; You can have the DPF Removed (If you like cancer :P ) but a reasonable thrash may clean it out just as well.

If a long, sustained run does not clear it, the options above (Washing / proper restoration) are both worth considering; This being said, the DPF Is designed to work - Issues with them most usually arise due to the way the car is driven, or due to a fault with the engine (Contrary to the popular theory that they're there for the sole purpose of causing trouble)

As for tuning, a plug in box is quick, easy and fairly safe - Though you won't get the greatest returns. For Mods, take a look at Farqui's thread.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 15th May 2019, 17:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post
As above; You can have the DPF Removed (If you like cancer :P ) but a reasonable thrash may clean it out just as well.

If a long, sustained run does not clear it, the options above (Washing / proper restoration) are both worth considering; This being said, the DPF Is designed to work - Issues with them most usually arise due to the way the car is driven, or due to a fault with the engine (Contrary to the popular theory that they're there for the sole purpose of causing trouble)

As for tuning, a plug in box is quick, easy and fairly safe - Though you won't get the greatest returns. For Mods, take a look at Farqui's thread.

Excuse me, but i try to found the theme of Farqui for chip tuning and power box, but i dont found it. Can you give me a link for this theme pls.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 15th May 2019, 22:24

I would agree to a point about driving style etc, but many car makers have to meet emission laws and the poor old driver picks up the tab.

Many makers have been cheating and lying, because they just can't make a diesel that meets regs, gives low mpg and is reliable.

If the world's largest can't play ball then what hope do we have.

A DPF just smothers a car performance and can cause many issues, but to me here it is in a nutshell, if DPFs are so good why oh why have they all been lying and cheating tests for many years now. Personally I don't buy all this DPF crap. It's flawed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th May 2019, 08:35
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,259 Times in 1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HENDY View Post
I would agree to a point about driving style etc, but many car makers have to meet emission laws and the poor old driver picks up the tab.

Many makers have been cheating and lying, because they just can't make a diesel that meets regs, gives low mpg and is reliable.

If the world's largest can't play ball then what hope do we have.

A DPF just smothers a car performance and can cause many issues, but to me here it is in a nutshell, if DPFs are so good why oh why have they all been lying and cheating tests for many years now. Personally I don't buy all this DPF crap. It's flawed.
The 'cheating and lying' emissions scandal was in relation to NOx control, not particulates. DPFs have become pretty reliable in recent years, however effective NOx control is at odds with economy, power and reliability (which is why VAG cheated).

I've suffered serious EGR valve and cooler problems with my current car (mostly because it uses high EGR volumes to achieve the Euro6 NOx target, rather than AdBlue) but I'd honestly be surprised if the DPF gave any trouble.

Last edited by Jon_G; 16th May 2019 at 08:38.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th May 2019, 21:13
Supporter

Car: 2014 1.6 i-DTec, Passion Red
Nikoloy,

Honda spent millions/billions in R&D to bring the correct software and engines and design together. If you want to trust a person with a computer to remap your car then work away. Try ask them for a guarantee on their work and also their business address in case you need to sue when your vehicle stops working. As someone has already said, if you want to remove the DPF and don't mind increasing the chance of your kids and neighbours developing cancer, once again work away, but most European countries have legislation in place to deal with people doing this.
Learn how to drive a modern diesel car or switch to petrol. Do not trash it up a motorway as this just puts more crap into the DPF. Cruse at 2000 RPM for 30/40mins every week and you should be ok. Go for a drive on Sunday.
Best of luck with your car.
Jim
Jon_G and He_Who_Is_T like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th May 2019, 21:34
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesII View Post
Nikoloy,

Honda spent millions/billions in R&D to bring the correct software and engines and design together. If you want to trust a person with a computer to remap your car then work away. Try ask them for a guarantee on their work and also their business address in case you need to sue when your vehicle stops working. As someone has already said, if you want to remove the DPF and don't mind increasing the chance of your kids and neighbours developing cancer, once again work away, but most European countries have legislation in place to deal with people doing this.
Learn how to drive a modern diesel car or switch to petrol. Do not trash it up a motorway as this just puts more crap into the DPF. Cruse at 2000 RPM for 30/40mins every week and you should be ok. Go for a drive on Sunday.
Best of luck with your car.
Jim
And on the other hand, Honda probably have a DPF manufactured for £40 but then proceed to cynically rip off their customers by charging Many £sssss.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 13:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Doesn't matter now, yesterday I go to MadnessMotosport and remove the DPF filter, and make a chip tuning. After removing DPF, car give 137hp on dyno, before chip, now after chip tuning is 165hp. I change the oil when they make the chip tuning, tommorow I will change and air filter. Here they want from me 4000lv or 2000Euro for DPF filter, I work like engineer in television and take 800lv or 400Euro, make you own calculation how easy and good are life here for normal people.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Engines and Transmission (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in