• 1 Post By Jon_G
  • 1 Post By Jon_G

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2019, 12:31 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2009 2.2 CTS
EGR Not Blanked?

Hi All,

Just had my 2.2 remapped and EGR delete by Celtic Tuning, they came to me and did it on the driveway.

The car clearly is running nicer but I seriously suspect they did not actually blank the EGR valve.

Simply because the car was absolutely filthy and no evidence that the bonnet was even opened or the engine cover removed, not a single finger print.

I was made to sign a form to say it had been turned off. Can they just tell the ECU to keep it closed at all times or do they have to fit the blanking plate to ensure it never recirculates back into the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2019, 19:57
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,039 Posts
They can tell the EGR valve to not open via the software remap... Physically blanking would be very time-consuming and there would be a risk of damage causing major delays (say if a bolt was rounded off).
Thanks to Jon_G from:
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 19:39 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2009 2.2 CTS
Thanks John, appreciate that - helpful and knowledgeable as ever.
How you finding the Volvo now you've moved away from Honda?
Jon_G likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 20:12
Bye bye Honda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrash View Post
Thanks John, appreciate that - helpful and knowledgeable as ever.
How you finding the Volvo now you've moved away from Honda?
My diesel V60 is a really lovely car, but in 10 months of ownership it's cost more in repairs than my Accord cost in 10 years! Fortunately Volvo UK have made very generous contributions, however it's still cost me around £700 in repairs... first there was an underdash leak on the rear washer pipework that got into CANbus connectors plus a comms module, then the EGR valve jammed open and, during valve replacement, the EGR cooler was discovered to be getting blocked (a very common problem on these 2L VEA engines). I've also recently become annoyed by the lack of an engine oil dipstick after getting an 'add 0.5L oil' message when going up a long hill.

When convenient, you should probably fit an EGR blanking plate... the i-CDTi has a minimum baseline 4.7% EGR flow, so you do still have a small flow, plus the valve could fail and no longer remain closed.

Enjoy your remap!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 00:59

Car: 2012 Civic 2.2 I-DTEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
They can tell the EGR valve to not open via the software remap... Physically blanking would be very time-consuming and there would be a risk of damage causing major delays (say if a bolt was rounded off).
Not on this car. It's really accessible. OP buy a plate and put it in yourself. There is nothing wrong with the software doing it but if you want to blank it then do it
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 02:14

Car: 2013 Civic 2.2 i-Dtec
Garage
Can I ask why do you want to blank it?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 08:02
Bye bye Honda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman View Post
Not on this car. It's really accessible. OP buy a plate and put it in yourself. There is nothing wrong with the software doing it but if you want to blank it then do it
He's now had an EGR remap so can choose to fit a blanking plate if he really wants (you cannot simply fit a plate without a remap or you'll definitely get an engine warning light).

I was merely explaining why the Celtic operative wouldn't bother to fit a physical blanking plate while applying the remap... the EGR valve may well be accessible but the bolts might be tricky to access (or damaged from previous attention), which makes it best left to the owner to fit the blanking plate. My wording wasn't particularly clear!

Last edited by Jon_G; 25th May 2019 at 08:05.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 10:39
more torque than the mrs

Car: 2008 2.2 type s gt blusilver
Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,556 Posts
Garage
never blanked mine off, and its been turned off . been great for 3yrs no probs at all...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 12:37

Car: 2012 Civic 2.2 I-DTEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
He's now had an EGR remap so can choose to fit a blanking plate if he really wants (you cannot simply fit a plate without a remap or you'll definitely get an engine warning light).

I was merely explaining why the Celtic operative wouldn't bother to fit a physical blanking plate while applying the remap... the EGR valve may well be accessible but the bolts might be tricky to access (or damaged from previous attention), which makes it best left to the owner to fit the blanking plate. My wording wasn't particularly clear!
I suppose the only reason to blank it would be if the EGR was dirty and was not closing properly then even if the software modified the ERG settings, it could be slightly opened. I had this with a Citroen in that it was not closing properly(not sure if it was dirty or the EGR had an issue). Blanking it was the only solution as I had intermittent issues with lack of power.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 13:13
Bye bye Honda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman View Post
I suppose the only reason to blank it would be if the EGR was dirty and was not closing properly then even if the software modified the ERG settings, it could be slightly opened. I had this with a Citroen in that it was not closing properly(not sure if it was dirty or the EGR had an issue). Blanking it was the only solution as I had intermittent issues with lack of power.
The i-CDTi has a 4.7% baseline EGR flow so, in addition to everything you've said here, there is actually a small improvement in physically blanking the valve.
deni.babe likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 15:57
more torque than the mrs

Car: 2008 2.2 type s gt blusilver
Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,556 Posts
Garage
with the new mot rules I take it now it's a mot failure if the egr valve is removed..
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 18:36
Bye bye Honda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deni.babe View Post
with the new mot rules I take it now it's a mot failure if the egr valve is removed..
If they know you've interfered with any emission control system then it's a fail and a fine! It's been illegal for years but they don't yet check the exhaust NOx content (which is what EGR minimises).
deni.babe likes this.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Engines and Transmission (8G)

Tags
blanking , celtic , egr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page