Oil OIL - 2012 UK Honda Civic excessive oil consumption problem - Civinfo
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 29th May 2017, 22:48 Thread Starter

OIL - 2012 UK Honda Civic excessive oil consumption problem

Hello All,

Hope somebody can please help me.

My UK 2012 Civic 1800 petrol is using ca 1 litre of oil every 500 miles. It has done less than 40K miles. I bought it secondhand from Honda and it has always been serviced by Honda and has been very well maintained. I reported it under the warranty but the dealership just said it was normal, and it's got worse over time.

Honda are saying to fix the oil problem it will require a new head gasket and 4 pistons/ring kits and that will take 16-hours labour. And until they start the job they wont know what else is needed and if it will be successful.

Can anybody help? Heard anything similar?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by HONDACIVIC2012; 29th May 2017 at 22:57.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 30th May 2017, 00:27
Supporter

Car: 2009 Type R GT Silver
There was a similar issue with the Audi A6's and they were fixed under warranty. I'm sure they replaced pistons as well to fix the problem.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
cb550 likes this.
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 30th May 2017, 06:57
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
1 litre every 500 miles !!!

That isn't normal. Sounds to me like a warranty fob off.

Mine hasn't used a drop of oil between services.

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 30th May 2017, 07:36

Car: 2007 2.2 ES CTDI
You could try taking it to a different dealer for a second opinion.

My manual says that oil consumption could be up to 1 litre per 1000km. Although my 2.2 diesel seldom uses any at all between services. So high consumption may be "normal" for some people but I expect it to be the exception rather than the rule.

Just a thought - are you sure the right grade of oil has been used? If it is too light then that might increase oil consumption. The wiki says you could use 5W-40 - why not try topping up with that and see if it has any effect on consumption?

Last edited by 41034; 30th May 2017 at 11:30.
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 30th May 2017, 14:23
Supporter

Car: 2009 Type R GT Silver
Audi were the same but eventually acknowledged there was an issue. They didn't recall cars however as not all cars were affected by the issue so was down to individual owners to realise there was an issue and report it to Audi.

They would drain the oil and refill so they knew exactly how much oil was in the car and ask the owner to drive 500 miles and return. They then drain the oil again to measure how much if any oil has been used to determine excessive loss.

I would keep pestering Honda or ring HQ.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
cb550 likes this.
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 10th October 2017, 13:23

Car: 2012 EX 1.8 i-VTEC Manual
Hi, did you ever get this fixed? and was it what the garage said?
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 25th October 2017, 15:00
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8 EX, Black
Garage
I have a 2012 1.8 that has done 75k miles and it has started using oil now as well. Not a huge amount but I've probably had to put in a litre and a half over the last 12k miles. It never used to use oil at all, but I started noticing the level dropping when it hit around 50k miles. Hope it's not an issue with just the 2012 models - that could indicated a manufacturing fault caused by worn machinery.
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 25th October 2017, 16:05

Mine has done about 45k miles, I'm still trying a few different things to see if anything affects the usage, but I would say over the summer it was using around 1 litre every ~1000 miles. This is still more than the 625 miles/litre the manual mentions it could use and is always quoted by the dealer when I mention it. But even so, not very good.
I had read a faulty PCV valve could explain high oil usage.

Last edited by stoat; 25th October 2017 at 16:07.
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 27th October 2017, 09:35
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8 EX, Black
Garage
Certainly seems to be temperature sensitive - I saw the level drop a lot more over the summer. I'm going to mention it to the dealer when I take it for a service in a few weeks. Will report back after that.
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 27th October 2017, 11:11

Same with me, I also believe it uses more oil during the summer but still uses a fair amount in the winter. I will be interested to hear what your dealer says, I also have a service in December, so am planning to raise it then.

I am aware there was some sort of class action against Honda about excessive oil usage issues in the US, but it sounds like it's with different/older models:-

Excessive Oil Consumption in Honda Engines | HondaProblems.com

Although there are some:-

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/...sumption.shtml
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/user-ar...civic-1-8-2012
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 4th July 2018, 21:14

Car: 2013 1.8 FK2
Hi guys,

Currently, I own a FK2 1.8 2012, bought SH last year and since then I have this excessive oil consumption, 6 liters in 7000 km.
I've tried different scenarios, vtec and going normal; while doing lets's say "normal driving", the oil consumption was way higher than "the extreme" driving, so to say.
1st: Lately, I tried to go into vtec, but I really don't feel like the car is responding and triggering vtec.
2nd: I've changed the oil, the car used to have Honda 0W20, now I've changed to Motul eco energy 5w30 (I used to have the previous Fk2 1. 8 8th gen and I used this particular oil in it) and the consumption is a little bit lower, but not fixing the overall issue (600 grams in less than 1600 km).
If any of you found a fixing method, please share it here.
post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 6th July 2018, 04:09

Car: 2012 Civic 1.8 se Silver
Iíve been having oil issues with mine since last year.
No idea why itís started using too much Iím topping up 500ml every 4-500 miles now.
Last service just one week after, I checked the oil and it was registering half on the dipstick.
This is where I took it up with Honda who said it was normal then I rang Honda UK and asked them to investigate.
They got back to me and said thereís no engine manufacturing problems with the 2012 models (which judging by the amount of complaints I find that hard to believe) and that my dealership would happily strip the engine down and check things but Iíd have to pay as itís well out of warranty.
Since then Iíve been topping it up myself and keeping a log.
The reason Iím posting is that wargasmís post above has just reminded me that my car too isnít running right at the mo.
I donít drive my Civic that much as I just donít like driving anymore but the other night I had to go out in it and noticed it was absolutely gutless and instead of vtec all I get is excessive noise but hardly any acceleration. Itís nothing like it used to be.
It actually felt like I was driving an old 1.0 whatever from years ago.
This has got me all modged again with the car and next week when it goes in for itís MOT Iím going to ask them to check it!
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 6th July 2018, 05:39

civic 2012 excessive oil consumption problem

Hi Raeman,

I found this topic yesterday, I know that is US related, but it is odd that the recalls are for civics from 2012; apparently there people threatened Honda with a lawsuit and therefore this recall was issued.
I was at a Honda dealership a few months back but the answer was that "it is stated in the owner manual that it can burn up to 1 L on 1000 km". Another lets's say "advice" was to try another oil.
I will be having a longer trip next week, I'll see how the car will be handling, I'll try different scenarios, to rev high, to go into vtec and I'll keep you posted.
9thgencivic.com/forum/technical-service-bulletins-recalls/10383-excessive-engine-oil-consumption-2012-a.html
post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 6th July 2018, 07:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargasm View Post
Hi Raeman,

I found this topic yesterday, I know that is US related, but it is odd that the recalls are for civics from 2012; apparently there people threatened Honda with a lawsuit and therefore this recall was issued.
I was at a Honda dealership a few months back but the answer was that "it is stated in the owner manual that it can burn up to 1 L on 1000 km". Another lets's say "advice" was to try another oil.
I will be having a longer trip next week, I'll see how the car will be handling, I'll try different scenarios, to rev high, to go into vtec and I'll keep you posted.
9thgencivic.com/forum/technical-service-bulletins-recalls/10383-excessive-engine-oil-consumption-2012-a.html
Yeah Iíve seen that thread when I was researching and Googling ages ago and I mentioned it to Honda UK when I rang them but they had no knowledge of it, probably as itís in the States but itís strange that they had problems with the 2012 1.8ís too.
Just looking back through this forum at all the posts about oil consumption, nearly all the cars are 2012/2013 models.
Makes me convinced there was a manufacturing problem and Honda know this but wonít do anything about it.
post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 6th July 2018, 09:25

Yes! still an ongoing problem with mine, it started around 30k miles, mileage is now 50k miles. Interesting that Raeman mentions the performance issues, mine is also doing this, it seems fine when the engine is cold but once it's warmed up, particularly in hot weather it turns into a 1.0l gutless wonder. It is also often pinking/knocking under load - anyone else got that? I would also say the mpg has fallen since last year.

I've been to two different Honda dealers, both took it out for a test drive and reported they couldn't find anything wrong with it (?!). It's hard to measure accurately the oil consumption but I'd say mine is using about 1 litre of oil every 1300 miles using 5w30 oil, it was worse with 0w20. The dealers just quote the manual where it says it can use up to 1 litre every 625 miles, which is ridiculous. I don't know why I bother having an oil service, it's not in there long enough to get dirty .
I had read online that a faulty PCV valve can cause excessive oil consumption so a few months ago I changed mine even though the old one looked ok. However, it's still burning oil so I don't think that has made much difference.
In the hope of fixing the pinking, a few weeks ago I replaced the spark plugs even though they're not due until around 75k miles, again, it doesn't appear to have made much difference.
Has anyone ever noticed either of their radiator fans coming on? I can't think of any time when mine have regardless of how hot it is.

I am concerned that the poor running and knocking will damage the engine in the long-run, but can't keep paying Honda to investigate be told they can't find anything wrong with it.
post #16 of 91 (permalink) Old 6th July 2018, 11:21

From what I know, the PCV valve will also cause missfire and/or hard engine start which is not the case for me. What I noticed since the oil change (5w30 motul) is that the oil consumption is lower than with 0w20 but the engine sounds a little louder (that I think it'a a normal behavior after all). I'll pay more attention for knocking and also how it behaves when reaching the VTEC (around 4800-5000 rpm).
I also tried to go with and without the ECON, but I didn't notice any difference.
I feel like Honda is dodging responsibility for this malfunction
post #17 of 91 (permalink) Old 6th July 2018, 13:24

Yeah, I was hoping it would change something but wasn't too surprised when it didn't, it was worth a try though and cheaper than paying for another pointless investigation. To be honest I'm not overly confident with the dealers ability to do old fashioned fault diagnostics, I think they plug in the computer and if there aren't any fault codes I think that's the end of it.
I also tried ECON ON/OFF many times, I didn't notice any real difference to the oil consumption.
If I floor it, there is a kind of hollow sound like fuel being massively pumped in, but it just doesn't feel like it's burning quite right as it isn't converted into the acceleration you'd expect. I have a cheapo ODB2 reader, but don't really know what I should monitor to try to figure it out.

I agree, I suspect they know about it but have to stick to the line that Honda's never go wrong.
post #18 of 91 (permalink) Old 7th July 2018, 02:23

Stoat I was going to ask about the PCV valve Iím going to take mine off tomorrow to check if itís blocked or anything.
Can I ask how much you paid for a new valve?
post #19 of 91 (permalink) Old 7th July 2018, 20:10

I drove today about 60 kilometers in the city (at noon I checked the dipstick and it was almost at half) and tonight the "check engine oil level" came like from nowhere.
Also, PCV --> coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-1-8-2-0-petrol-pcv-valve-kit/ or https://goo.gl/ZtX8iV
Thanks to wargasm from:
post #20 of 91 (permalink) Old 7th July 2018, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargasm View Post
I drove today about 60 kilometers in the city (at noon I checked the dipstick and it was almost at half) and tonight the "check engine oil level" came like from nowhere.
Also, PCV --> coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-1-8-2-0-petrol-pcv-valve-kit/ or https://goo.gl/ZtX8iV
Wow it sounds like your car is using as much oil as petrol.
Thanks to Raeman from:

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Engines and Transmission (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page