Performance FK1 1.4i Sport: performance gain - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 09:47 Thread Starter
Supporter

Question FK1 1.4i Sport: performance gain

Hello all!

first of all, Nice forum and great to be here.
found some good stuff here.

My question is quite simple.
Are there any performance upgrades (chiptuning, etc...) that are worth it? and actually giving some noticable improvement?
Already installed a cold air intake from INJEN.

i know the 1.4 isnt a power house, but thats the main thing with this cars... small engines but nice tweaking performance.

looking forward to the replies.
thank all of you in advance.

greetings,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 13:17
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
I think you're the only other person in the world looking for 1.4 Performance upgrades.

Firstly, do you have a recording / pictures of your Injen install? Really considering one, but still undecided. Have a K&N Panel filter so far.

With regards to other tuning, I don't think there's much of an improvement to be made with ECU Flashing - I've seen some advertising claims, but there's little to be done as it's a naturally aspirated engine.

Some ideas that have crossed my mind is introducing a remote exhaust cutout in the pipe prior to the rear backbox, and getting a bored throttle body, but both are fairly expensive for minimal gains.

That being said....
HONDA FIT/JAZZ

This is made for the L15 (1.5l) Jazz engine as a direct bolt on; Looking at it, I imagine you could fit it to the L13 (Civic 1.4; Actually 1339cc) - Though you would definitely want a professional tuning company involved to ensure the ECU is adjusted so as to not blow the engine up
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 13:18
Supporter

Garage
Oh, one I forgot to mention - It's not raw power, but it improves driving feel:- Acuity shifter bushings; Have a look at my thread, They're very quick to fit and make the shift feel lovely.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 21st May 2019, 00:31

Your only economical mods will be intake and exhaust. This is by general knowledge and no actual test myself so take a bowel full of salt for this. But intake and a large diameter exhaust or a back box delete would be better. I have visited a exhaust shop and looked at the 1.4 exhaust and back box with the technician. There is a long routing system for the exhaust which loops back into the rear muffler twice. The car has 2 mufflers. Deleting one and having a more direct exit would benefit from a short less restrictive exhaust route. Additionally increading diamtere from either the cat back or the remaining muffler back would improve the airflow. Finally a tune would bring any small gain up and harmonise the engine with the less restrictive intake and exhaust system. Having said all that, good luck with finding a garage who have either tunef a 1.4 mk9 or are willing to do it. They are far and few between and i havnt found one who would for a reasonable price in return for a increase that wont be garenteed. Its possible all of these things could drop your HP or torque figures too as the cars are tuned to make the most of what the manfucaturer intended within the fuel economy targets. Best bang for your back would be trade a 1.4 for the 1.5 mk10 or the 1.6 diesel and remap those. More garenteed performance. From your fellow mk9 1.4 enthusiast!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 21st May 2019, 11:09
Supporter

Garage
I think you're right on that! (Trading up to 1.0 / 1.5 10G)

That said, I'm currently looking at options for intake and exhaust as you mention. As the Injen is ~£300, I've gone for the creative route first of a build-my-own system, using a RAMAIR Cone filter, MAF Adapter and 75deg 3" pipe from Spectre performance in the US. (As well as a cheap PCV filter to pop on the pipe)

All in cost for the build my own intake is ~£120, most of which being the costs of the US Parts; I could've probably done this cheaper if I'd just ordered their MAF adapter and sourced the other parts locally, but it was just easier to get it as one.

I'll update once I've got it put together - Hopefully it fits!!

Once that's done, next on the cards is an exhaust change. As you mention, there's 2 back boxes on the 1.4 - One on the centersection under the driver, and a second at the rear.

I'm thinking of having a new B-pipe / centersection fabricated with a "cherry bomb" style resonator - Not so much for performance, but to make the sound slightly less sad-lawnmower

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Engines and Transmission (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page