Suspension: Time for a change? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 8th July 2014, 16:16 Thread Starter
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2009 Championship White FN2
Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,107 Posts
Eco display
Suspension: Time for a change?

I'm at Grinspeed tomorrow and amongst the list is for Stevie to have a look at the creaking/boinging noise I'm getting from the front when turning the steering wheel at low speeds.

I'm convinced it will be the ASTs having seen better days.

So I have a few options, and have considered a few which I'll detail below, however this thread is to gauge people's experience of what they have or have experienced.

Firstly I have, what I have been told, is all of the OEM suspension. I could refit this and leave the yellow Koni shocks on the rear. Cheap fix.

I could put the OEM suspension back on with a set of lowering springs. Again, cheap but what springs?

I could get Andy's recently rebuilt ASTs at the bargain price he is asking for them, but this will store up problems for the future and currently I find them a bit fidgety. That being said, the car is far from well set-up from a geo point of view, so it might not be as bad when it is set-up properly.

I could buy a replacement set of dampers and springs, al-a Mugen.
I know Alex has Mugen with Spoon springs. This is a bit rich for me being brutally honest, especially with the other bits I'll be having to shell out on I hadn't planned on doing. If I went down this route it would be just the Mugen kit, or another manufacturer (whatever is good and out there).

I could get a set of coilovers.
Now I've been in contact with Meister-R and unfortunately I've been told that FD2 are rare and so I'll more than likely have to wait a few months unless they can make up a set from spare parts they find around the warehouse. Hmm...
People don't seem to like Tein for the UK roads, but I fancied some Street Advance or Street Flex with EDFC. The threads on here have put me off a bit, rusting and harsh ride etc. Are they that bad?
KW don't do FD2 coilies, FD1 yes, but only a race set.

What else is out there that I've not thought of?
Oh, and I'm not going Ohlins. Nice as they would be, again too rich at the minute.

Last edited by Loxy; 8th July 2014 at 16:23.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 8th July 2014, 18:59

im runnig the meister r set up on mine for a year now and all is good. was at silverstone a couple of weeks back and a few guys in the vtec challenge running them also for 3 years with no problems. ast are good but only last a year before they need rebuilding. if you did go for meister i would go +1 on the spring rates
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 8th July 2014, 19:42
Supporter

Car: 2008 FD2, Vivid Blue
John - OEM fronts and Koni rears is supposed to work fairly well, although I've never experienced this combo. Certainly, the full OEM suspension is not great on our roads. I'm surprised Meister are out of FD2 shocks. If you wanted, you could fit my ASTs and only pay me if you decided to hang onto them. They might work well as a cheap stopgap. Set up correctly, I found them vastly better than OEM, especially with the slightly lower spring rate I specified. If I had the money, I would go for Ohlins - not much help, but there you go. Another option is Nitron - apparently they sell a lot in Asia, but you're looking at the best part of 1500 and they're promoted as a race suspension system. Also, I know that Jerrick at Meister R had problems with Nitron inserts and Nitron weren't much help in resolving things...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 8th July 2014, 19:46
Supporter

Car: 2008 FD2, Vivid Blue
PS - creaking noise will 100% be grit and crap thrown up into the front springs. A quick blow with some high pressure air or water and then some GT85 sprayed over them will cure it - guaranteed A longer term solution is to fit some dust boots over the springs - that's what I did
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 8th July 2014, 20:18
Supporter

Car: FD2, white
Same here, I have been looking at suspension for a good few months and still haven't taken any steps. Tegiwa sell Nitron coilovers and you can order different spring rates. There's also the Modulo coilovers and I just found out you can buy a set of Ohlins and pay monthly with 0% finance
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 9th July 2014, 02:18

Car: 2008 FN2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loxy View Post
Firstly I have, what I have been told, is all of the OEM suspension. I could refit this and leave the yellow Koni shocks on the rear. Cheap fix.

I could put the OEM suspension back on with a set of lowering springs. Again, cheap but what springs?

I could get Andy's recently rebuilt ASTs at the bargain price he is asking for them, but this will store up problems for the future and currently I find them a bit fidgety. That being said, the car is far from well set-up from a geo point of view, so it might not be as bad when it is set-up properly.

I could buy a replacement set of dampers and springs, al-a Mugen.
I know Alex has Mugen with Spoon springs. This is a bit rich for me being brutally honest, especially with the other bits I'll be having to shell out on I hadn't planned on doing. If I went down this route it would be just the Mugen kit, or another manufacturer (whatever is good and out there).

I could get a set of coilovers.
Now I've been in contact with Meister-R and unfortunately I've been told that FD2 are rare and so I'll more than likely have to wait a few months unless they can make up a set from spare parts they find around the warehouse. Hmm...
People don't seem to like Tein for the UK roads, but I fancied some Street Advance or Street Flex with EDFC. The threads on here have put me off a bit, rusting and harsh ride etc. Are they that bad?
KW don't do FD2 coilies, FD1 yes, but only a race set.
Mate,

Being a true JDM car, it's no surprise there aren't many europe suspension options. J's racing/showa suspension was popular among FD2R owners in asia. it's something like the mugen for FN2 but with less money. The part for FD2R is no longer listed in J's racing web so I don't know if it's still available?

Best option is probably the Tein Street Flex. Supposedly have better valving than street advance. I saw the shock dyno charts in MX5 forums and they looks more 'euro' kind of way - if compliancy is what you're after.

there's also buddy club n+, similar money to the teins. but been told is it assembled in taiwan, if that matters.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > FD2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page