Tricky Gear Box - Civinfo
 2Likes
  • 6 Post By musegroove

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2016, 15:59 Thread Starter

Tricky Gear Box

So after having a 2.2 type s for many years I have decided to go Type R and am now a very proud owner of a Nighthawk Black 08. Unfortunately the gearbox is very difficult and the clutch has to be on the floor before I can get a gear. Lots of crunching going on which is not good. I called the guy a bought it from and he says it has a sport box fitted, never hear of this and thinking he means shot shift?

Any ideas on this and how I can get a smoother gear change so that I can live the dream!!!!!

Thanks,

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2016, 16:10
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
If you take the centre console out you can look below the gear stick and see the bottom of the gearstick. You should then be able to tell if they have stick a short shifter on. Here's mine....you'll see I've added a short shifter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160522_160318.jpg (58.4 KB, 28 views)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2016, 16:19
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
Here's what the bottom of the oem stick looks like (short shifter is in hand)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160522_130810.jpg (68.6 KB, 22 views)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2016, 17:44
250bhp.... finally :)

Car: 08 CTR, Milano Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfretty View Post
So after having a 2.2 type s for many years I have decided to go Type R and am now a very proud owner of a Nighthawk Black 08. Unfortunately the gearbox is very difficult and the clutch has to be on the floor before I can get a gear. Lots of crunching going on which is not good. I called the guy a bought it from and he says it has a sport box fitted, never hear of this and thinking he means shot shift?

Any ideas on this and how I can get a smoother gear change so that I can live the dream!!!!!

Thanks,

Jonathan
It will be one of a few things most likely mate, not uncommon.

First off, adjust the biting point to get it back up to half way up the pedal travel and off the floor.
An excellent guide can be found here:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/996...point-fn2.html

Costs nothing and can be done in less than an hour or a garage can probably do it for 50 (hourly rate). If you bought it recently from a dealer they should sort this FOC.

As the bite is on the floor the clutch is not fully releasing and dragging causing the gears to crunch. Get it sorted asap as your gearbox will thank you in the long run.

Should this not cure it replacing the gearbox oil is another option but as the bite is so low it may not work as you really need to get that bite back to where it should be.

Thirdly get a good bleed of your clutch fluid. It should look like dark honey but if it's murky and black I'd also get that flushed.

If all the above fails unfourtantely it's time for a new clutch. Average price for new one and fitting is around 350 and best sticking with an OEM Honda one.

By sports box he may mean an aftermarket clutch which either wasn't fitted correctly or the pedal was not adjusted to compensate for the newer / thicker plate.

Good luck, get that pedal adjusted, 90% of the time it's just that but remember it's on the floor for a reason, usually a toasted clutch or a newly fitted, unadjusted one.
Farqui, Farqui, Farqui and 3 others like this.

Last edited by musegroove; 23rd May 2016 at 17:46.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2016, 19:06
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,143 Times in 3,839 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
^ what he said!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 24th May 2016, 15:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for all of the support, will try that first.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > FD2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page