FD2 exhaust manifold advise - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 14th February 2013, 23:40 Thread Starter
Supporter

FD2 exhaust manifold advise

Hi guys, I'm looking to order a FD2 exhaust manifold for my fd2 but cannot find any advise or reviews on which one is best..

My short list of manifolds are

5zigen
Tracy sport
Toda
J's racing

Anyone seen any info/reviews on these manifolds or fitted one on their fd2 or similar Hondas

Any info would be great guys because I'm totally lost! At the moment I'm heading more towards Tracy Sport or 5zigen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 02:05
BRM
Supporter

What are your current mods and future plans?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 03:46 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRM View Post
What are your current mods and future plans?
Currently I'm running a GruppeM, kakimoto cat back, de cat and that's it! By June thought I'll be running a Jackson racing supercharger!

What's your thoughts?

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 06:37

Why not the FEEL'S/Maxim Works? That's what i'll be getting when I have the funds as the one I had on my EP3 was amazing quality.

When I was having a look through headers

5zigen- primaries smaller than other manifolds, 42.3mm IIRC whereas most others are 45mm

Tracy Sports- not much info on it but did well against a Toda on the dyno.

Toda- always a good choice but longevity is questionable, I know of one that's had to be welded and you can't fit the standard cat at MOT time which may or may not be an issue for you.

J's- Might be worth sending Wuman on FD2O a PM as he has this. Good power IIRC but as with other headers they've produced, quality varies.

Blood Sports do one which looks almost identical to the Tracy Sports item and me be a little cheaper?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 07:12 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-B View Post
Why not the FEEL'S/Maxim Works? That's what i'll be getting when I have the funds as the one I had on my EP3 was amazing quality.

When I was having a look through headers

5zigen- primaries smaller than other manifolds, 42.3mm IIRC whereas most others are 45mm

Tracy Sports- not much info on it but did well against a Toda on the dyno.

Toda- always a good choice but longevity is questionable, I know of one that's had to be welded and you can't fit the standard cat at MOT time which may or may not be an issue for you.

J's- Might be worth sending Wuman on FD2O a PM as he has this. Good power IIRC but as with other headers they've produced, quality varies.

Blood Sports do one which looks almost identical to the Tracy Sports item and me be a little cheaper?
Id love a Feel's or seeker manifold But they are like 300/500 quid more than the four options above!

I'm not sure I could own an exhaust that's called blood sports no matter how good it is! Lol

So you'd go Tracy Sport out of those four?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 09:38
Supporter

Car: 2008 FD2, Vivid Blue
Quote:
You can fit a cat with the toda manifold but you have to get the shorter length B pipe (ie extra expense)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 09:40
BRM
Supporter

What is your budget?

Why not look at the US brands.... ASP, SSR, Hytech. All of them have specific manifolds for your FD2 chassis. They will out perform any of the ones you mentioned.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 09:44 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
What is your budget?

Why not look at the US brands.... ASP, SSR, Hytech. All of them have specific manifolds for your FD2 chassis. They will out perform any of the ones you mentioned.
Has anyone on here fitted a us brand manifold on their fd2?? I'm not sure I know any uk companies that can supply me any of those brand parts...
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 10:16

Quote:
What is your budget?

The US chassis has a different length cat, not sure they'll fit. I know if the the US guys fit a whole JDM system it works but don't think you can mix and match.

Justin give Matt at Injection Imports on here a PM. The FEEL'S isn't much more than the Toda or wasn't when I last looked. The Seeker is mad money though.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 10:32 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
The US chassis has a different length cat, not sure they'll fit. I know if the the US guys fit a whole JDM system it works but don't think you can mix and match.

Justin give Matt at Injection Imports on here a PM. The FEEL'S isn't much more than the Toda or wasn't when I last looked. The Seeker is mad money though.
I've sent him an email but I think the Feel's will be out of my budget really!
I think my options are between the ones above and I think if I had to decide now I'd go Tracy Sport :/
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 11:29

Thought about having a custom one done? I don't know how much he charges but Solid Fabrications showed one on FB recently of JRSC DC5 with a custom 3" exhaust and header to match. Looked very, very good. You could sell the Kakimoto and have one of those done?

From what Jon has said on FD2O, the benefits of fitting a header are nowhere near what they are for the EP3/DC5 so you could even use the money elsewhere on the car?
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 11:44
BRM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by just-fn2 View Post
Has anyone on here fitted a us brand manifold on their fd2?? I'm not sure I know any uk companies that can supply me any of those brand parts...
Quote:

Planty of guys in singapore, japan and aus running Header from US market on their FD2s.

If you email any of those 3 companies they will help you. Another very good custom header for FD2 is the Go Power one.

What is your budget?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 14:06 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Planty of guys in singapore, japan and aus running Header from US market on their FD2s.

If you email any of those 3 companies they will help you. Another very good custom header for FD2 is the Go Power one.

What is your budget?
I'm interested I just want the best header for my budget! Between 700/1200 max :/
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 14:11

Quote:
What is your budget?

this.

Even a budget header like this will give you more gains:

Civic Si Header by Private Label MFG (06-11 Civic Si) | Hybrid Racing

But if you want jdm go to toda racing manifold.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 18:34 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I like the Toda manifold but I only know one person who has one on his fd2 and he doesn't rate it much!

Last edited by just-fn2; 15th February 2013 at 18:38.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 18:42

Does it need replacing? You'd benefit more from a 3" catback than changing the header IMO. IIRC neither of the Rotrex FD2's had aftermarket manifolds, both are 2.4 and make great power. Most headers for the FD2 make around 5bhp tops, granted that's with everything else the same but it's not that restrictive.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 18:45
BRM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by just-fn2 View Post
I'm interested I just want the best header for my budget! Between 700/1200 max :/
You can get a MONSTER header from the US for 1300 dollars (800 uk pounds), I mean, specs to murder any JDM piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoctr View Post
this.

Even a budget header like this will give you more gains:

Civic Si Header by Private Label MFG (06-11 Civic Si) | Hybrid Racing

But if you want jdm go to toda racing manifold.
Yep!
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 19:36 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:

What is your budget?
Quote:
Does it need replacing? You'd benefit more from a 3" catback than changing the header IMO. IIRC neither of the Rotrex FD2's had aftermarket manifolds, both are 2.4 and make great power. Most headers for the FD2 make around 5bhp tops, granted that's with everything else the same but it's not that restrictive.
I've been told a manifold will help with flow when I get it charged!

It's not just about the power gain but also the weight! I couldn't believe how heavy the Oem manifold was compared to the after market one I've had with me!
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 19:44

Jon I believe is also going the supercharged route and has removed his Toda header as it's not beneficial.

This is the place I mentioned earlier, check out the DC5. Could be worth the trip over here to have him do you a manifold

Solid Fabrications
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 15th February 2013, 20:04
Supporter

Car: 2008 FD2, Vivid Blue
I'm making 270bhp NA and over 183lb/ft midrange torque with a Toda header. You could do worse... Of course, supercharging means that flow and pulse tuning is not as critical as you're essentially forcing the air in (and gases out) - the OEM manifold may well suffice for that

Civinfo > Civic Type R > FD2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page