Buyers Guide - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 14:48 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: FK2 Type R
Buyers Guide

Hi Guys
Im wondering has anyone got any info on what's a must to look out for and check when buying and FD2? I've seen talk of ECU recall and mentions of issues with third gear, can anyone elaborate on them?
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 26th February 2013, 16:28
Supporter

Car: 2008 FD2, Vivid Blue
Not aware of a buyer's guide as such. There are no particularly weak aspects specific to the FD2 but of course, you do need a really thorough service history to check that oil has been changed regularly and all other maintenance has been carried out according to the service schedule. If you buy one from the UK/Eire, the chances are that someone on the FD2 Owners forum will know a bit about its history as there are so few cars over here and we're a pretty tight knit bunch

The ECU problem affected some FD2s produced in 2007. It's minor and results in occasional stalling when coasting at arout 2100rpm. However, there was a fix from Honda and it disappears anyway if the car is remapped. You can read all about it here: fd2-owners.com • View topic - *Recall - ECU fault* + How to check your car for recall work

Another thing you might want to check is what suspension is fitted. The OEM is very hard and jiggly on our cruddy roads. Some cars imported via Litchfield (mine was one of them) were fitter with more compliant AST suspension. However, while an improvement, the dampers do need regular servicing. Why don't you pop over to the FD2 owners forum (if you haven't already done so) - folk there could help you find the right car
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 5th March 2013, 16:04
Supporter

Car: PM FK2 type r
Garage
When i bought mine over 3 years ago i considered a third party warranty but a well known importer told me not to bother as nothing will go wrong and it hasn't. Most cars can have a little hesitation occasionally going into third but mine was cured by using the Amsoil mtf. Get a drive / ride in one to see if you can live with the ride or more to the point can your missus live with it. Mine,s still on the standard suspension and used everyday and i,ve really got used to it and it doesn't bother me but you will get really good at spotting potholes.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th March 2013, 21:58 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Hoping to have a drive and pick one up over the next few days, I don't think the comfort worrys me too much, having had an s2k on the deck nothing has ever come close for bone rattling! Rare enough car to find in Ireland either ways, are they thin on the ground in the UK too?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 9th March 2013, 15:50 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

So I picked myself up an fd2. The car came with a factory gathers headunit but I want to replace it. I took a quick look at the wiring but none of the iso leads I'm finding online look compatible, does anyone have a link or reference to one that works or do I need to make my own?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 9th March 2013, 16:16
Supporter

Car: 2008 FD2, Vivid Blue
Congrats! First of all, we need pics Secondly, I think you've a better chance of getting an answer on the FD2 Owners forum only because there are a lot more FD2 owners registered there
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 9th March 2013, 19:26 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I'll get around to pics once the rain stops over here, I'll pop up a post on fd2 owners only its looking very quiet over there it seems very quiet

Civinfo > Civic Type R > FD2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page