LED Interior light install - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 13th March 2013, 22:28 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: FK2 Type R
LED Interior light install

Thought I would post a little "How to" on here for some LED light install;s in the FD2 as I haven't been able to find any other online nor been able to post it on FD2 owners.

To start with I replaced both the centre dome light and map reading lights with 6 SMD LED bulbs. All are 31mm and they are easily gotten from ebay ect

A small flat head screw driver inserted into the gaps at the arrows prizes the covers off easily

Old V New

And installed

I dont have a before picture but the cabin is much brighter with them compared to the standard bulbs and IMO they look well.

Next up was to fit some under dash LED strips. I had these in my FN2 and thought they set it off nicely and didnt look 2 Fast N Furious

Again you can pick the strips up easily on ebay or there's a member on here who also sell's them too.

To make life easier for yourself, pop off the underside of the drivers dash and the panel again further below with the plastic knob in the center, once you turn it it easily pops off.

Next remove the driver sill cover, there's a cap that pops off with a Philips head screw underneath holding the cover in so make sure to remove it first before pulling apart or you'll end up breaking it

Once the screw is out it easily pops away and lets you remove the cover around the bonnet pop which gives you easy access to the fusebox.

Looking directly at the fusebox your looking for the plug to the far right on the lower side, with a pink and blue wire coming from it

Its a tight squeeze to get your fingers in if you have small hands so use a flathead screwdriver to press the clip in the center down and pop it out. Once out it has enough slack to allow you to pull it down and make the connections.

The pink wire reads +12v and goes to ground when a door is open, so connect your negative or black wire from the LED strip to this, the blue wire sits at +12v constant so connect your red wire to this. You can use scotch locks if you like to make the connection but I just stripped some wire back, made a tight connection and then insulated well.

I ran the wires from here to the first strip to be placed under the drivers side

And bridged a separate piece of cable onto this that I ran behind the center console over to the passenger side. Again there's a plastic panel in the drivers footwell that clips off which is what I have attached to below

Once all the wiring was neat and tidy, its just a matter of doing everything in reverse and clipping the panels back into place, here's how it looks at night

The lights come on when a door opens, and dim when shut/key in ignition. The actual strips cant be seen unless you stick your head under the dash to look at them! It only took about 20 min's to do and is straightforward enough!

Hopefully this is of some help for anyone thinking of installing the lights themselves!
Thank You to 5500 from 2 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 14th March 2013, 07:22

Good post, been wondering about this myself but wasn't sure about the wiring connections.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 14th March 2013, 09:27
Supporter

Car: 2008 FD2, Vivid Blue
Thanks for sharing this - very informative

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 14th March 2013, 09:58
Supporter

Car: 2009 Civic SE plus leather

Do you have any links to the LEDs on eBay mate great how to by the way
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 14th March 2013, 10:34 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: FK2 Type R
Here's a link to the map lights on eBay
5X 12V 31mm 6 SMD 1210 LED Pure White Car Festoon Interior Dome Light Lamp Bulb | eBay

You can use them in the dome too, I just happened to have the bigger one laying around so stuck that in.

The led strips can be gotten here - http://www.civinfo.com/forum/civinfo...kit-civic.html
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 15th March 2013, 01:21
Supporter

Car: 2009 Civic SE plus leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambalamps View Post
Here's a link to the map lights on eBay
5X 12V 31mm 6 SMD 1210 LED Pure White Car Festoon Interior Dome Light Lamp Bulb | eBay

You can use them in the dome too, I just happened to have the bigger one laying around so stuck that in.

The led strips can be gotten here - http://www.civinfo.com/forum/civinfo...kit-civic.html
Thanks mate
Ste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th August 2018, 21:48

Car: 2006 1.8 5 door, Galaxy grey
I see a gray plastic knot in the center, whats that for? Do I need to turn it to open the clear plastic cover?

Civinfo > Civic Type R > FD2

Tags
fd2 led interior lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page