Black Detailed black FN2 - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 00:08 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2009 CTR - NHB
Detailed black FN2

This is my first ever black car and it was a nightmare to clean, but when I had finished I was so happy with the results!

I use Autoglym stuff mainly, but only because my misses' Dad gets it at Trade price through his valeting business, should get him to clean it really :roll eyes:

The process I use:

2 bucket method, using a Flexipads swirl free merino wool wash mitt with Autoglym bodywork shampoo conditioner.

Autoglym's Hi-Tech flex water blade to get rid of any large clumps of water, then use Autoglym's Hi Tech micro fibre drying towel.

Autoglym super resin polish applied with Hi-Tech polish applicator, give the wheels a clean with Clean Wheels while the polish is 'curing' and then after I'm done with the wheels, buff it off with a Hi-Tech polishing cloth.

After a polish, I use High Definition Carnauba Wax, same as before, giving it time to cure, then I finish it off with Extra gloss protection to seal it all in.

Finally, to finish it all off, the windows get a polish with Autoglym's Car Glass polish.

I hope you like the results! Any advice on any more decent products ( I know some people don't like Autoglym products) would be greatly appreciated, or any general tips are always welcomed

Last edited by LukeC981; 10th December 2013 at 00:19.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 00:16 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 00:22
Banned

Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,315 Posts
Stunning results, well done

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 00:23
Administrator

Car: Jaguar F Type V6S
Thanked 4,052 Times in 3,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeC981 View Post
If someone could advise me on how to add some pictures, that would be appreciated - I can't post attachments for some reason but I do have photo bucket so maybe links would be needed...

This is my first ever black car and it was a nightmare to clean, but when I had finished I was so happy with the results!

I use Autoglym stuff mainly, but only because my misses' Dad gets it at Trade price through his valeting business, should get him to clean it really :roll eyes:

The process I use:

2 bucket method, using a Flexipads swirl free merino wool wash mitt with Autoglym bodywork shampoo conditioner.

Autoglym's Hi-Tech flex water blade to get rid of any large clumps of water, then use Autoglym's Hi Tech micro fibre drying towel.

Autoglym super resin polish applied with Hi-Tech polish applicator, give the wheels a clean with Clean Wheels while the polish is 'curing' and then after I'm done with the wheels, buff it off with a Hi-Tech polishing cloth.

After a polish, I use High Definition Carnauba Wax, same as before, giving it time to cure, then I finish it off with Extra gloss protection to seal it all in.

Any advice on any more decent products ( I know some people don't like Autoglym products) would be greatly appreciated, or any general tips are always welcomed

Hi Luke, sounds like a good effort buddy but loads of flaws in you procedure. Regarding photobucket and uploading. Copy the img link per pic copy then paste to here, do all your pics like that then preview post before posting.
Now cleaning.
2 bucket method and wash mitt is great so stick with that,
Lose the flexi blade as this will only mark honda soft paint.
Regarding polish, srp is a good all in one polish but you don't wait for it to cure, polish away then remove residue.
After polish you then use wax, leave this to cure for ten mins or so or do a swipe test then buff off, that's good, but don't use extra gloss protection over it, it will degrade the wax, do it the other way around. Egp is a sealant. Sealants go under wax.
Other things can be done but that's the basics, hope this helps
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 00:33 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanner69 View Post
Hi Luke, sounds like a good effort buddy but loads of flaws in you procedure. Regarding photobucket and uploading. Copy the img link per pic copy then paste to here, do all your pics like that then preview post before posting.
Now cleaning.
Regarding polish, srp is a good all in one polish but you don't wait for it to cure, polish away then remove residue.
After polish you then use wax, leave this to cure for ten mins or so or do a swipe test then buff off, that's good, but don't use extra gloss protection over it, it will degrade the wax, do it the other way around. Egp is a sealant. Sealants go under wax.
I didn't realise the flex blade would mark the paint :face palm: that'll be cast to the back of the garage when I get home!

Would you recommend any other makes of polish? I've never had problems with SRP, as you said it's an all round polish which gives ok results, although I was told to leave it a while before buffing off, unless that's so my bird's Dad can laugh at me buffing like crazy - typical forces banter for you I guess :roll eyes:

Thanks for the rest of the advice, I'll give it a clean when I go home this weekend, weather dependant of course, and use the sealant before the wax this time. Will try and get some pics and post some of the results
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 00:34
Aye Aye....

Car: 2009 CTR, Milano
Thanked 1,210 Times in 1,056 Posts
Quote:
Now cleaning.
Man talks sense!

I'd also clay before you polish mate, whilst the polish has cleaners in it I'd still rather clay first, as above polish doesn't cure you polish then remove, if you've not got any eraser for the oils I'd also recommend a quick safe 2 bucket wash after polishing to remove any excess residue

The pics look good mate, just watch, detailing is addictive as hell
Thanks to DPG87 from:
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 00:37
Aye Aye....

Quote:
I didn't realise the flex blade would mark the paint :face palm: that'll be cast to the back of the garage when I get home!

Would you recommend any other makes of polish? I've never had problems with SRP, as you said it's an all round polish which gives ok results, although I was told to leave it a while before buffing off, unless that's so my bird's Dad can laugh at me buffing like crazy - typical forces banter for you I guess :roll eyes:

Thanks for the rest of the advice, I'll give it a clean when I go home this weekend, weather dependant of course, and use the sealant before the wax this time. Will try and get some pics and post some of the results
Have a look at meguiars 205 and 105 ( 105 for cutting and 205 for refining) from memory the SRP has fillers ( I'd need to double check but I think it does) so it masks swirls/scratches but the fillers leave after a few washes so it's a gimmick tbh

No need to apply more wax/ sealant mate you should be good for 2-3 months at least just keep it clean until then

And make good use a the blade...on the father in laws jaw for tellin you that lol
Thanks to DPG87 from:
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 00:38
Administrator

Quote:

Blades are a no no, srp polish will hide swirls and defects but will not remove them, depends how OCD you are with your paint condition? Makes of polish, i can recommend loads, but depend on what you want to do, hide or remove defects, totally different ball game.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 00:42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPG87 View Post
Have a look at meguiars 205 and 105 ( 105 for cutting and 205 for refining) from memory the SRP has fillers ( I'd need to double check but I think it does) so it masks swirls/scratches but the fillers leave after a few washes so it's a gimmick tbh

No need to apply more wax/ sealant mate you should be good for 2-3 months at least just keep it clean until then

And make good use a the blade...on the father in laws jaw for tellin you that lol
Thanks DPG, you are correct in the cutting scale of 105 and 205 but don't use 105 on honda paint, far too aggressive. Srp does contain fillers which will mask swirls for a little while but then they'll reappear..
Thanks to wanner69 from:
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 00:43 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Unfortunately for me, he's a marine and very short tempered so I don't think that would go down very well :face palm:

I'll have a look at the meguiars kit, I know a lot of people who dislike autoglym and megs products and choose something like Dodo Juice or 3M products, but I will definitely have a look, I like treating myself to some good car products!

Every day is a learning day, didn't realise that SRP had fillers in it, I'm almost out of it so I'll definitely check out the megs stuff. Monza Car Care is a decent website and has amazing deals, maybe I can pick myself up a bargain...hmm!

Cheers for the advice though, it's always appreciated!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 00:48 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Blades are a no no, srp polish will hide swirls and defects but will not remove them, depends how OCD you are with your paint condition? Makes of polish, i can recommend loads, but depend on what you want to do, hide or remove defects, totally different ball game.
Ideally I would like to remove the swirl marks, being a forces person, OCD with doing everything perfectly is normal to me now. However, I'd have to get some training on a rotary polisher, I've heard that DA polishers aren't all they're made out to be, despite being safer. As always, correct me if I'm wrong.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 00:59
Aye Aye....

Quote:
Thanks DPG, you are correct in the cutting scale of 105 and 205 but don't use 105 on honda paint, far too aggressive. Srp does contain fillers which will mask swirls for a little while but then they'll reappear..
I agree it's pretty hefty, I've had some really good results with it though but in general if we're only talking swirls it's perhaps unnecessary
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 01:02
Aye Aye....

Quote:
Unfortunately for me, he's a marine and very short tempered so I don't think that would go down very well :face palm:

I'll have a look at the meguiars kit, I know a lot of people who dislike autoglym and megs products and choose something like Dodo Juice or 3M products, but I will definitely have a look, I like treating myself to some good car products!

Every day is a learning day, didn't realise that SRP had fillers in it, I'm almost out of it so I'll definitely check out the megs stuff. Monza Car Care is a decent website and has amazing deals, maybe I can pick myself up a bargain...hmm!

Cheers for the advice though, it's always appreciated!
Quote:
Ideally I would like to remove the swirl marks, being a forces person, OCD with doing everything perfectly is normal to me now. However, I'd have to get some training on a rotary polisher, I've heard that DA polishers aren't all they're made out to be, despite being safer. As always, correct me if I'm wrong.
Best forget the blade idea then! Lol

DA is fine for paint correction, it's more technique than the machine tbh, you should be able to achieve what you want with a DA, I'd stay away from the rotary simply because IMO you really need to know what your doing and you'd want to be doing it often to keep your technique spot on, but the likelihood is that's not going to be the case, the DA will do a grand job especially on softer honda paint
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 09:17
Cleaning Moderator

Car: Astra 2.0 SRi with VXR Pack
Thanked 4,119 Times in 3,375 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to shaunwistow
Nice & shiny & the lads have already mentioned the blade & SRP thing. EGP is poor IMO, however, I liked the AGHDW & it lasts quite a while, enjoy.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 11:28
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunwistow View Post
Nice & shiny & the lads have already mentioned the blade & SRP thing. EGP is poor IMO, however, I liked the AGHDW & it lasts quite a while, enjoy.
I tried applying AGHDW last week, I didnt go on well in the cold despite being in the garage with the halogens on. It just clumped up and was a pain to get an even coat on, so took it off with IPA and just used my menz sealant instead.

Oh and BTW Luke, car looks stunning, well done, I think AGHDW gives it a lovely glow.

Last edited by TonyGTB; 10th December 2013 at 11:30.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 12:13
Cleaning Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGTB View Post
I tried applying AGHDW last week, I didnt go on well in the cold despite being in the garage with the halogens on. It just clumped up and was a pain to get an even coat on, so took it off with IPA and just used my menz sealant instead.

Oh and BTW Luke, car looks stunning, well done, I think AGHDW gives it a lovely glow.
That's odd Tony, did you use a damp applicator? A few winters back it was what I used on mine & never had any problems with application at all. I have also applied it when the car was warm & again, easy to use.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 13:06
Supporter

well its been sitting in the garage unused now for about 18 months. I've noticed the wax has shrunk in the pot a bit, I put it in the boiler cupboard for a while to warm up and cleaned out the applicator and left it damp. I'm going to try again with a new applicator but do you think its gone past its used by date ? I have about half a pot left
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 13:18
Cleaning Moderator

Quote:
well its been sitting in the garage unused now for about 18 months. I've noticed the wax has shrunk in the pot a bit, I put it in the boiler cupboard for a while to warm up and cleaned out the applicator and left it damp. I'm going to try again with a new applicator but do you think its gone past its used by date ? I have about half a pot left
I'm not sure, I rarely keep my waxes past a couple of months

Bin it & then you have an excuse to buy another one
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 18:42 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Best forget the blade idea then! Lol

DA is fine for paint correction, it's more technique than the machine tbh, you should be able to achieve what you want with a DA, I'd stay away from the rotary simply because IMO you really need to know what your doing and you'd want to be doing it often to keep your technique spot on, but the likelihood is that's not going to be the case, the DA will do a grand job especially on softer honda paint
Ha, yer I'll give that one a miss, I'll play a joke on him somehow and get him back for it.

Is it just a case of doing more passes than you would with a rotary, because I know DA spins slower than a rotary can?

I'll have to permanently borrow the father in law's DA polisher and practice on a bit of metal, also permanently borrowed, from work. I know detailing world has some useful tips so may get myself on there and have a scout around.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 18:46 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:

I'm surprised that you didn't get on too well with the AGHDW, I've never had it clump up on me, but then I've only had it for a couple of weeks so it's still fresh.

Cheers Tony, I think it's important to put the effort in to keeping a car in as good a condition as possible, currently questioning getting the alloys refurbed because the person who owned it before slightly curbed 2 of the rims and I think a nice powder white coat would go nicely with the black paint, possibly even a gun metal grey.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Gallery (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page