Other France Trip, June 2008 [image intensive!] - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 13:13 Thread Starter

Car: 2007 CTR, Alabaster Silver
France Trip, June 2008 [image intensive!]

Well, it has now been six months since my wife and I returned from 2 weeks driving around France in our Type-R. I always meant to post up a thread about this incredible trip, but I have never managed to get round to it for one reason or another. This could turn into a bit of a mammoth post, so apologies in advance!

Our trip was part inspired by the footage of the amazing roads in and around the Alps on Top Gear and also by the most amazing time we had during our month driving around Germany in 2006 for the World Cup.

I will try and keep this post as car related as possible! I could write so much about our time in France but I will try and restrain myself...

A very rough overview of our trip was as follows:

Day 1 Ferry and drive all day on toll roads to near Geneva
Day 2 Continue south to Avignon
Day 4 Drive east to the Gorge du Verdon
Day 6 Drive south to Cassis on the Med
Day 8 Drive East to Monaco
Day 10 Drive north through the mountains towards the Alps
Day 11 As Day 10 and stop at Chamonix
Day 15 Drive back up to Calais

We camped most of the time, and just had a couple of nights in hotels along the way when we needed a proper wash. We didn't really pre-book any campsites but I had an idea as to where we might go. This meant that the whole thing was quite flexible. We had actually intended to do the route listed above in reverse order, but there was some bad weather in the Alps at the start of our trip so we headed straight down towards the Med.

Amazing things about the Type-R:
  • We took two quite large suitcases, all of our camping gear including sleeping bags etc. and the Civic boot just swallowed it whole. We didn't need to fold the seats flat at any point, and we didn't really have to store anything in the cabin itself so we never had to worry about leaving anything "on display" in the car.
  • Cruising on the toll-roads was very easy. Cruise control was very handy, as were the auto-wipers for that in between rain/motorway-mist type rain that we had on the way down.
  • On the twisty roads (more later) the car was amazing fun, even with a fully laden boot the car still really shifted and handled like a dream on France's beautifully smooth roads
  • The car was a bit of a head turner - we didn't see another Type-R in France and we only saw one other Civic along the way
  • The noise of the car in all of the tunnels around the Alps was brilliant. Windows down and stamp on the loud pedal every time
Amazing things about France:
  • Firstly, the roads. Granted, we went hunting for the best roads we could, and this was the whole premise of the holiday. But, I was simply staggered and amazed at the endless twists, turns, scenery and road quality. In addition, the roads were incredibly quiet and so we were hardly ever stuck behind anyone. Highlights were the loop around the Gorges du Verdon (truly incredible), the Col de Turini rally stage heading North out of MonteCarlo, and all of the roads up to the numerous mountain passes in the Alps. Incredible.
  • Toll roads. Whilst I was a little peeved at the price before our trip, it's totally worth it. We didn't hit a single jam and just sailed down to the south of France on the toll roads. We must have spent €150 on tolls easy, not including tunnels, but it was worth every cent
  • The Alps. Oh my goodness, they are amazing. I'm fortunate enough to be pretty well travelled, and I've been to the Alps before, but it's worth stating again how amazingly beautiful they are.
  • Campsites. Camping in France (or Germany, or Holland) is quite a different experience to any bad memories you may have camping as a kid in England. The sites are all very well equipped and cost less than €20 per night for one tent, one car and two adults
  • Monaco & MonteCarlo. The place itself is pretty spectacular, but the highlight for most people on this forum will be the incredible range of supercars you can see. Honestly, every other car seemed to be a proper Supercar, and those that weren't were top spec BMWs or Mercs. I can barely think of a type of Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Porsche that we didn't see. We even saw and Audi R8.
  • Chamonix & Mont Blanc. Mont Blanc is a truly awesome sight and the walking in the hills above Chamonix is just unbelievable.
As you might be able to tell, we had simply an incredible time. I could go one for ages, but this is a GALLERY post, and so it's time for some pictures.

Next stop, a short trip to Germany and the Nurburgring in the early summer...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 13:15

Cracking pictures!

So did you tear round the Lowes Hairpin then?
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 13:23
Supporter

Garage
Great pictures and tour. I bet the CTR liked the smooth French roads

Is that you on the Aiguille du Midi with Mont Blanc behind ?

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 13:47
Supporter

Car: NHB TYPE R GT
stunning pics and scenery , and a great car .
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 14:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
Cracking pictures!

So did you tear round the Lowes Hairpin then?
Well, not exactly! We walked the entire circuit on our first day in Monaco. I just couldn't believe how small it was! It must be some spectacle to actually see them race F1 cars around those streets. Incredible.

On our final morning I drove the circuit on our way out of Monaco, but it was 8.30am on a Monday morning and there was a lot of traffic. It too me 8mins 44 secs to do the full lap...so no, I did not tear round the Lowes Hairpin!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 14:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro View Post
Great pictures and tour. I bet the CTR liked the smooth French roads

Is that you on the Aiguille du Midi with Mont Blanc behind ?
Yes mate, I imagine it's instantly recognisable for those who have been there. Full respect to all of the brave souls setting out down the cliff edge from the Aguille du Midi with their mountaineering equipment.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 14:29

Mind you, the F1 cars are a bit slow round Lowes too!
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 14:34
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
Great great pictures !!!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 14:57

great pictures mate, i was in monaco a few years ago for the grand prix and also walked the track at the end of the day,amazing.i bet the r handled all the roads with a very sure footing.how many miles did you end up clocking ??
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 15:41
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
well what fantastic photo's of both the car and the scenery.

Really glad to hear you enjoyed your trip and the car helped too!
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 16:57
Supporter

Fantastic pictures and how I'd love a blast along those roads.

It's just a pity someone vandalised your car by spray painting your registration plates..... you just can't take a nice looking car anywhere nowadays
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 17:28

Absolutely brilliant......I really enjoyed the whole article and the photo's are amazing. Love to do it myself. You should write a magazine article and go in print. Thanks.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 18:40

aphemia ....Question man ....I have done france and indeed the south many times both in cars and on Motorcycles .....Now in your pictures i cannot see ... midges , bugs , flies, they just normally cover the whole front end ....Did you clean your car reguarly , wash them off , or drive like Miss Daisy ? ....ON A STEEL HORSE I RIDE

Last edited by harleyfatboy; 29th December 2008 at 18:47.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 18:45

Must just add ... Only a Silver car could look soooo good in the pictures ....Would not have the same impact in Red ......ON A STEEL HORSE I RIDE
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 18:55
Noodle-slave

Insane view on that last pic! Must've been a really awesome trip
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 18:59

Car: 2007 CTR-GT (Alabaster)
Class Pic's there Rich, Never done a Proper road trip in the CTR. Role on summer 09 and ill be heading to the Nurburgring!
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 19:01 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian590 View Post
great pictures mate, i was in monaco a few years ago for the grand prix and also walked the track at the end of the day,amazing.i bet the r handled all the roads with a very sure footing.how many miles did you end up clocking ??
Amazing - that's one thing I have to do. I might start a little £50 a month fund and go in about 5 years or something!

We ended up doing 4,000 miles in the two weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacg69 View Post
Fantastic pictures and how I'd love a blast along those roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alantaverham View Post
Absolutely brilliant......I really enjoyed the whole article and the photo's are amazing. Love to do it myself. You should write a magazine article and go in print. Thanks.
Guys - if it's something that appeals just book the time off work and do it! You really don't need to book anything. Just get a good map and Rough Guide, spend a little time planning, or otherwise just follow your nose. It's nice cheap holiday and you get to spend some quality time with your motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyfatboy View Post
aphemia ....Question man ....I have done france and indeed the south many times both in cars and on Motorcycles .....Now in your pictures i cannot see ... midges , bugs , flies, they just normally cover the whole front end ....Did you clean your car reguarly , wash them off , or drive like Miss Daisy ? ....ON A STEEL HORSE I RIDE
Well, I certainly wasn't driving like Miss Daisy!

They weren't too bad but I did try and give a quick "dry" clean most days. I took some Meguiars Fast Glass and another Quick Detailer and a few MicroFibres and just gave it a quick clean each day - except for the wheels which remained filthy throughout.

There's one photo near the end in front of an abandoned GrandStand of the old Reims Grand Prix circuit - it looks a bit dirtier there!
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 30th December 2008, 19:21
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS

Car: DS3
some of the pics remind me of up north
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 30th December 2008, 20:23
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,328 Posts
Wow, where is that place that you took the beach photo?

Reminds me of the film "the beach"
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 30th December 2008, 20:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnoTypeR View Post
Class Pic's there Rich, Never done a Proper road trip in the CTR. Role on summer 09 and ill be heading to the Nurburgring!
See you there mate. Let's talk about this again soon to see if we can co-ordinate ourelves.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Gallery (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page