• 1 Post By stivbox
  • 1 Post By mrdanward
  • 1 Post By stivbox

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th April 2017, 03:33 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garage
My nhb fn2 one year in :D

Hello, I have owned my civic type-r gt for just over a year now and have done just over 16000 miles in it.I joined this forum at the same time I got the car and with so much info and guides by you guys I have not needed to go outside these forum's for any questions so a massive THANK YOU to all who have contributed to this site. Here she is on day one

I went to the garage ready to check all the usual faults and try haggle a good deal. When I got there and saw it I got real excited. Played it cool tho and grabbed the key to go have a look around, I sat in it , started it and I just had to have it. So long story short , no test drive no haggle, I left him with my vectra 2.0TD , swiped my bank card and drove off in the above. Then my heart sank as the dashboard was flashing and dinging sound so I pulled over. It was just the boot wasn't closed properly. I got excited again. As I drove on there was definitely a knocking sound from under the front somewhere..suspension related.As she was handling fine and I knew I was in for a repair but didn't care.My wife had agreed to let me buy a machine like this and I knew I would have to handle this delicately I told her it's a common thing that goes as they are a bit stiffer than most cars and the suspensions take's a beating.She swallowed this Buying the car cleaned me out so I had to wait a month to get what I figured was the drop links day after purchase.

During this month she drove perfect,no probs other than the knocking.I read loads more about the car and decided that I might as well do the fast road geometry set-up that ABP motorsport offer on the fn2 and get them to do the suspected drop links at the same time. I was right and it was the drop links. Here she is at ABP getting the drop links done before the alignment

I am not really a supercharge re-map guy, well I am but the wife spends most journey's with her eyes closed as it is now so that's an expense she would never have lolololol. She had no idea what the R meant or what V-tec was poor thing... anyhoo I wanted to start on a few tweaks to the car's appearance, first up was to put little red H decals on the centre hub's of my rims and de-badge the boot and remove decals from the side's.

The red devil horns was something my dad bought me for a laugh and the slayer number plates were a gift from my sister 20yrs ago and were just for some pics.The red horns didn't last long tbh. Next I wanted to get some wind deflectors , not so much for the wind but I have a habit of always having my window open an inch and the shape of the roof on these fn2's is like an egg in a way, what it meant is that I got wet when turning corners in the rain like a mini-waterfall and it was getting on all the buttons on the door card.I ordered a set of Climair tinted version and had to wait for these to come from Germany. Was worth it tho I love em and they solved the rain problem altogether.

Then you wash it feeling o so proud and the birds have there way with it overnight

Then over the next months I did a few things to make the car my own. I wanted to do some interior work next. I stripped out the center console and started on this piece

I didn't like the drink holder springy thing and never put drinks in the center anyway and wanted to get a bit more room ,with phones being so big these days I wanted a bit more room there.So this piece went bye bye

which left me with this

I went to a local hobby craft shop and bought this foamboard stuff,double sided tape and found some felt that looked like a pretty close match to the interior. It was called cranberry the color of the felt.

So then it was just a case of covering the whole thing in double sided tape and carefully cutting and covering it in the felt

When finished looked like this

I wanted partitions for my phone, cigs, wallet etc..so I made this

The little bit for the lighter's didnt really work so I ended up with this

Next I had the Ipod adapter lead when I bought it. I use android phones tho so I managed to find an adapter that would allow me to plug in a 3,5mm jack and charge a micro usb device.Perfect for an old samsung S4 I have in my drawer from previous contract. I always fancied using a mobile phone as a head unit instead of messing about with cd's etc, this coming from a guy who had a walkman in his early teens here's the cable and adapter

Here's her a bit naked inside

I removed this piece from the rest and got rid of the flap / door. Then i stuck a 3,5mm jack extension cable where the left hinge for the flap used to be. That cable is because my kids like to play DJ with there phones and sometimes I allow it so that is just to extend the aux in to the rear of the car.

Then I made a piece that can hold the phone and slide in and out of the now cavity in the dash then covered them in felt the same way as I did the other piece. pictures say more than words so here's some pics leading up to and the final result. After all was done I like this mod a lot however I may change the color of the bit that the phone sticks on to a grey.While I was at it I put in a new cigarette lighter with a red light ring on it as well.

Don't know what reaction I'll get to that mod

Next up I wanted to put an led H badge on the boot and this one was a much bigger job than I anticipated. Getting the center cluster was easy following a guide on this forum , as everything I took apart was following a guide on this forum however I will mention I had no need to go brute strength to get the interior boot panel off, I noticed when I half closed the boot I could see 4 white plastic clips that hold the trim on , popped a flat screwdriver on those 4 and then it came of real easy no broken clips at all either So getting the old badge off was a pain and it got ruined.It was then that I realized the H badge with the leds is really thick and would stick out of the cluster by a mile and looked really ..crap.I noticed that the cluster has double layer of plastic and decided to cut through the first layer so the led badge would sit the same as the original badge. I drilled small holes carefully all around it and it did crack and chip as I went too, luckily none of it visible. Not having any other means I used a hot knife which I heated up on one of the wife's stove rings (she was out at the time) to melt and cut it all smooth till the new badge fitted prefectly.

So I did test the led badge and it worked so drilled a hole for the wire and stuck it in. Spliced into the number plate light power and wired it in and put the light clusters together. While I was at it I changed the number plate lights to bright white leds.

Feeling pretty chuffed I set off to tesco for a small shop run for the wife, half way there I could smell that burning electric smell so I pulled up and the new badge was smoking bad and half the leds were off so I just disconnected the power to the badge for the time being.The number plate leds are great tho I have ordered a different led H badge now but it will take some time to get to me. I wasnt that struck on the design of the led badge it didn't look as cool as I thought it would.I will post here when I re-do it. For now its just a black badge.In the meantime my other interior led stuff arrived. I got 4xred led strips for the footwell's, red bulbs for all hood lining lights and bright white leds for the visors. All these where just straight swaps except for the footwell strips. These took a bit of care to install. I got them off ebay for I think about 8, I also had to buy some wire (went maplin) and these I wired into the same Power feed to the interior hood bulbs so when I unlock the car they come on and fade out like the rest. I can turn them on by turning on the interior light tho ofc. The visor bulbs impressed me, they are a lot brighter than the old fuse style bulbs.Also the Console mods installed. here's the pics....

The flaps on the back of the front seats cut of nearly all light from the led strip but when you move the chair forward its well visible. On this point I ran the wire under the rail the chairs move on, theres a gap by the rear bolt that you can just feed the wire through. Also if you you do this remember to leave enough slack / loose wire for the chair to be able to go all the way forward and all the way back again !

Benjy and DoriD like this.

Last edited by stivbox; 8th April 2017 at 07:07. Reason: Testing pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th April 2017, 07:08 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Next I wanted to tint lights and ending up buying a roll of flyeye. I put it on my front spots and the H badge. I like the look of it but im not so sure about the headlights. it looks like the previous owner had it on the drivers light and it burnt in and damaged a bit of acrylic.Its a shame there's no aftermarket options for headlights on the fn2 .I am also not sure about the rear lights either, would hate to get rear ended and loose all my hard work on the car by going to far

At some point last year a friend reversed into my car and hit the passenger side and that left her looking like this

This has also led to the notorious bumper keeps popping out problem that even the dealers struggle with in threads I have read and I finally got around to having a go at sorting it out. I used to work at an accident repair center when I finished school many moons ago but you learn a few things you never forget about cars when you work in a place like that, I got stories man and I could go on and on but here's how I got on with it present day...first I didn't remove the whole bumper..no need for this job.

Once I was at this stage it was first clear that the two rails under the headlights were way out from each other.

I've circled where it most noticable and the little arrows are to show you where the 2 spots around should be even between the light and the metal. So I went on google and had a look at all the images of fn2 with bumpers off to see how the metal rails should look. then i just bent mine by hand to match. they basically sit even and flush with the center piece and the gaps even around the headlight.Then the plastic clip that the bumper clips onto was broken so I pulled that out and tried to glue it over night

Next I noticed that the headlight was actually sitting nearly 1cm under the fender which led me to the headlight bracket which I could then see was bent, It is a cheap part but using pliers is cheaper so just removed it and bent it straight

While removing and refitting that bracket I saw the piece the other plastic clip goes on at the edge of the headlight was broken and glued that overnight too, it was starting to get dark

The next day , I put the bracket back in and the headlight sits nice and flush with the fender now

This is a pic of the metal rails now sitting flush with the center piece

So now to put the plastic bumper clip back, there have been some that have struggled to put this clip back but basically the hole in the clip in this photo goes over the black piece I glued back on at the rear of the headlight, you can see it in the background

Next was the bumper itself that small tab that is broken I have put one wrap of insulation tape as its very flimsy bend plastic

So Just to clip the bumper back in. Unfortunately the bumper clip I glued didn't hold and it broke straight away so I have ordered a new one and will post pics when it's on an fitted. Otherwise tho it all fits great and it hasn't popped out since, you can see in this picture its slightly sticking out but I am confident that the new clip will solve that

When I got the car it had 4 different brands of tyre on it and when the fronts got low I put uniroyal rainsport 3 's all around.I like them they grip great and made the ride a bit softer. however that was on 15/7 and today the fronts are worn on the insides and haven't got much left , its to do with the fast road geometry set-up but I would not change that back , I love what it did to the handling of the car.At some point in the last year I came to know that the drivers mirror does not fold up so I bought the resistor to do the fix myself rather that replace the whole unit, when I came to do it tho there was no electrics in there so it must have got smashed off and previous guy replaced it with a non-electric folding one.finally.. I also got red alloy valve caps with a H logo on.

That's me a year in , I still love the car and makes me grin often. other than the usual wear and tear its been trouble free motoring
Farqui, jaxckhan and DoriD like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th April 2017, 07:14
Dutch

Car: 2015 Sport 1.6 sporty blue
Garage
Wow! Nice mate
Thanks to Xa4cornelis from:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th April 2017, 08:41
250bhp.... finally :)

Car: 08 CTR, Milano Red
Nice mate, the centre console job is genius

Got mine beginning of Feb too last year and never looked back. Went from being too scared to fit a stereo to pretty much gutting every inch of the car minus the gearbox and engine internals lol
Thanks to musegroove from:
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th April 2017, 09:41
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,143 Times in 3,839 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
What an epic post, lots done tho so well done

Will reread it when i get a chance!
Thanks to Farqui from:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 14th April 2017, 00:29 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
I ordered the small plastic bracket from e-bay and the wheel arch protector from cox motorparts. I had to get a new wheel arch protector as all the clips were broken, the previous owner had bodged it with some sort of sticky black rubbery stuff, I suspect black silicone. So when my mate reversed into the car it broke all the black silicone. I have bodged it with insulation tape after that, I didn't want to just re-glue it cause you never know when you might have to take it off again.

Cox Motorparts seemed to still do the loyalty discount for being a member here, so I signed up, emailed them and they upgraded my account the next day... Brilliant !! Thanks again civinfo and Cox Motorparts ofc . They have arrived today so I am excited. I will let you all know if replacing that plastic clip solves the infamous bumper keeps popping out problem.
Farqui likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 14th April 2017, 09:48
Supporter

Car: 2008 FN2
Garage
Just read through your thread - great project! I like your mods because they are individual to you, the custom centre console is a good idea. Keep up the good work!

How much difference does the fast road setup actually make? Is it really worth going through a pair of tyres that quickly?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 14th April 2017, 10:27
Supporter

Car: honda civic type s gt red
Garage
Send a message via AIM to jaxckhan
hi there really nice thread mate and your car is looking nice, you're like me have to tell the wife a few white lies to get what i want, but you know what the other halfs are not stupid, they will or have already clocked on to what we do, lol, keep up the good work, i would hold back on the fly eye film on the head lights for now, until you get some more feedback from the members on here about their experience with it on the car for a long time and then removing it, as it did mess up my rear cluster and other lights too, but not all of them,but its only happened on this honda, and i have been using fly eye film on different cars with no problems in the past, i used hexis headlight tint film now and it's great stuff,
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 00:24
Supporter

Garage
I had fly eye tint on one of my old Corsa Bs when I was younger and when I removed it, it'd had a bad reaction with the headlight and left irreparable damage.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 02:37 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdanward View Post
How much difference does the fast road setup actually make? Is it really worth going through a pair of tyres that quickly?
This is a tough question. I like many others ummed and aaaaad about it. Read loads of forums and posts etc and then decided to get it done. If your thinking about doing it and having done it myself I would ask you these questions:-
1) do you often push your car on corners and roundabouts where you are often getting tyre scrubbing ?
(that screechy dull sound just before tyres loose grip)
2) do you often find that you experience understeer on corners and roundabouts ?
(where you are turning but the car is still going straight or run very wide out of the corner)
3) do you often find that when you go full throttle in/out of corners your traction control cuts in ?
Bear in mind how often the above happens to you as well. If your answer to these is yes I would recommend it ! if your answer is no I would say leave it. Also know it wont remove the above but it happens at a higher speed.The Rainsport's I have are quite a soft compound as well so they do wear faster. For me the frsu is overkill really but I like how the car handles now even at 30mph around town. If the other half makes a big fuss about replacing tyres I will get it set back to standard. Interesting to me was how manufacturers have allowances for wheel alignment on cars (Honda’s tolerance range) from the factory.Explains why some people have odd tyre wear. I cant remember the exact number of degrees either way so I wont say but I was surprised !! I wanted to know where mine was at, blagged the missus about safety and you know now what the dealers are like we should get it checked and setup nice lol. she has caught on now the tyre's are worn on the inside on the fronts like jaxckhan said they are not stupid

In terms of the physical changes I fished out the print off and took a pic.
Before

After

Last edited by stivbox; 15th April 2017 at 02:54.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 23:48
Supporter

Garage
Thanks for taking the time to reply - a very helpful post. TBH I don't push my car that often at all, in fact in the 5 months I've had my FN2 I can't recall reaching the edge of grip or noticing any understeer. Maybe I'm not driving it properly! haha.
stivbox likes this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 23:53
Supporter

Car: honda civic type s gt red
Garage
Send a message via AIM to jaxckhan
@mrdanward at least you know you got that vetch strapped to your engine when you need it,

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 24th April 2017, 21:12 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Thanks for your comments and questions My parts arrived over a week ago but its been raining but this weekend the sun came out and I cracked on. First up was the rear cluster as the new led badge had arrived. After getting it off and the first badge the burnt out off it looked like this

As you can see that proper melted and every led burnt out. I'll be keeping a close eye on the new one. It is from a different place and manufacturer so hopefully it will be fine. I did let it run for 15mins with no prob's before I fitted it. If it burns out now I'll know its because I sunk it in and it cant get cool enough.

I then decided that I needed to sort out that horrible black vinyl strip that prev owner fitted so badly. I decided to spray the whole panel and felt it would look much better and hide the mess I made of cutting the top panel. Getting the vinyl off I could then see there was liitle bits of plastic all loose inside the cluster from my **** job again of cutting the top panel to sink the badge in. I got what I could out and the paint will hide them anyway. Prepped the surface with 1500 paper fine wet/dry and then I made a template of the reverse lights with a piece of paper and cut the flyeyes. After that I masked the flyeyes and the rest of the unit and painted it
After taking it off again,

Prepped and taped up. also I added a crack to the left hand side of the badge hole drilling a hole for the new badge wires as they came out the badge in a different spot altogether.you can see it in the pic.

I put it in our very small downstairs toilet to dry and there is a small radiator in there so I wacked the heating up a bit to help it along drying. I was pleased with my finish but I did get a bit of dust settle on it, but thats what you get spraying on the floor by your back door. I left it there and took a 4 hour nap

With the new badge fitted

Back on the car

Pics of the paint finish and the led badge on, does not really show in the day, I'll pop one of it in the dark when it gets dark.

It looks like it's supposed to be black now and I reckon looks so much better than the vinyl sticker. It also hid all the damage I did cutting and melting the plastic by the badge so win win.Other jobs I got done was replacing the plastic clips on the slam panel on top of the grill as they were all broken which I discovered when I took the grill off to remove the type r badge.

With regards to the bumper, I did get the new clip for the bumper and get it on and the new wheel arch protector ( from Cox ) on and all lined up sweet. The bumper fits snug and no chance of popping out . It did give me a bit of a hard time lining everything up underneath with it so low to the ground so I got a plank of wood and drove up on it , with the wife's guidance, just to raise it up a bit.I did try with some bricks but they were not wide enough. It was a lot easier after that and I didn't have to go buy proper ramps or jack the car up , color me cheap and lazy lol.
Her masking tape bandage

The car is filthy so I want to give the paint on the rear cluster a few days to fully cure then I'll give her a bath a take some better pics of the wheel arch and bumper job.

Last edited by stivbox; 24th April 2017 at 22:08.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 25th April 2017, 23:14 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Really hard to capture a good photo of this badge that does it justice. Drove home with no problems with the led badge so far...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2017, 13:24

When first reading I thought the badge would look utterly horrendous.

however, That last picture looks brilliant job well done! nice to see something a bit different
Thanks to kaptainmarc from:
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2017, 23:09

Car: 2008 type s gt Black
Cool boot badge mate. How much did it cost all in for the badge mod
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 4th May 2017, 03:56 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
I didn't really keep track of the cost I just say things like , I need to get some paint to my wife so it seems like something small, however I can tell you what I used. The badge itself cost 28.I used a flat screwdriver and a socket set to remove the boot trim and the cluster. I used a drill and a knife which was ruined in the process to cut into the second layer of the cluster. I used 1500 wet/dry sandpaper, some masking tape , a can of gloss black spray paint, some wire , screw terminal electrical connector and some insulation tape. Wasn't very expensive. Was a massive amount of effort

I have had no problem with it either. not like the first badge.
Farqui likes this.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Gallery (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page